Metal Gear Solid collectibles

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
they seem like such douchebags I don't see why people like them so much. after all the MGS related stuff I won't be using their company anymore

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

Great post Warhawk. Looking forward to the koto kit myself because with 1/6 I can't afford the 3A Rex and having read everything I have about them it would take an absolute perfect line of MGS 1/6 figures to even consider giving them any of my money.

You have to ask them for shipping information. That's right. They don't even bother to give you the tracking information. You've got to get up and beg them for it with your tail between your legs :monkey4 I just want to get this over with. I never want to deal with this again.

I feel like your 100% serious T_T

Anyone else as excited about MGR: Revengence?

The Play Arts Kai figure looks awesome...

(sorry, just sick and tired of hearing only about the 3A's MGS, which - IMHO - is a HUGE waste. Not that it's not an impressive figure, but that it's taken them over a year to get it made and it's still not in the hands of the biggest die-hard fans - those that ordered the exclusive).

I feel like your 100% serious T_T

Well I obviously exaggerated the power positions between you and 3A, but honestly that's how it works and that's what it's like. They don't even bother to send out the tracking information to everyone. I guess they don't think we are a worthy commodity to actually put any attention into. You have to email them and ask for the tracking, which is bull____.

Well I obviously exaggerated the power positions between you and 3A, but honestly that's how it works and that's what it's like. They don't even bother to send out the tracking information to everyone. I guess they don't think we are a worthy commodity to actually put any attention into. You have to email them and ask for the tracking, which is bull____.

100% seriousness confirmed.

I wonder if we can file a claim (with our CC provider) saying that the product was never delivered with a definitive date to get our payment back. And the date that they did gave us they reneged on.

(sorry, just sick and tired of hearing only about the 3A's MGS, which - IMHO - is a HUGE waste. Not that it's not an impressive figure, but that it's taken them over a year to get it made and it's still not in the hands of the biggest die-hard fans - those that ordered the exclusive).

I wasn't at first, but the character designs have grown on me and I'm looking forward to this game.

100% seriousness confirmed.

I wonder if we can file a claim (with our CC provider) saying that the product was never delivered with a definitive date to get our payment back. And the date that they did gave us they reneged on.

That would be cool, but 3A puts an "Estimated" before their release areas if I recall. Also, while I am tempted to do that, I know I'll get a decent amount more than what I paid by selling Rex on the aftermarket. I definitely want compensation for the hassle of all of this and that's the only way to get it I guess.

For you guys interested in the Koto kit but can't paint, let me tell you that painting this model will not be difficult. It will require just a few steps to complete.

First
You will want to prime the model black. I usually use a Krylon black spray paint primer that is meant for plastics. I can show you the particular brand if you want.

Why primer? Primer will help the paint stick to the model and prevent chipping.

Why Black? The black primer will help with bringing out the details of the model and making the over all colors a little darker which will also help to bring out more details later. If you want a brighter Rex then choose White primer. But anything that needs to be black you will have to paint over the white, an example being the cockpit.

Second
What you want to do is you want to pick 2 colors for the camouflage pattern. Rex is mostly 2 colors. there is the grey-sh green under color and the darker green camouflage pattern.
You will want to buy these colors in acrylic spray paint form. Or if you have an airbrush you can use that, but its a little more advanced. You can buy acrylic sprays from just about any hobby store. Or you can use other krylon sprays, but I recommend acrylics since they layer nicely.

Third

After the model has been sprayed completely black with the primer. Spray the entire model with your darker green camouflage color.

But I just sprayed it black? What gives? Remember the black primer is to help the paint stick to the model.

Fourth
Now that you have a green Rex what you want to do now is make what is called a Mask. I highly recommend some cheap putty for this or another type of doughy material. Putties come in various colors and consistencies. Some are more firm than others. If you are going to use putty to make a Mask then I recommend a medium to firm putty. The color that you use will not matter. The color of putty that I use is a bright blue. The bright color helps me to distinguish the camouflage markings from other colors.

Take your putty and place it around the model in the shape and locations of the camouflage you want. If you want to mimic the game camouflage I recommend you look at reference art.

Fifth
Now take your putty covered Rex and spray the entire thing (including putty) The grey-sh green color.

Six
Once the model is dry peel off the putty. You will now have a smooth camouflage Rex.

Detail work

At this point you will have to touch up various parts of the model to finish it. I suggest using Washes to bring out detail. You can find wash paints by Games Workshop (aka shades) or Vallejo paints. You will want a black wash to place in the deep crevasses of the model. Washes are very wattery. Most of the time you will need to just add a tab into a crevasse and it will fill in the rest of the lines. If you want to add dirt effects and weathering use Agrax Earth Shade(GW) Or a medium wash (V). GW seems to have some of the best metallics. I recommend those paints for any metallic colored part such as the toe nails.

Also remember when painting to keep your paint applications light even when spraying the model. And always water down your acrylic paints on a pallet before applying to the model.

When I am painting mine I will do a more in depth tutorial. I hope my rant has been helpful.

This is a rather good advice for people who don't know/care that much about painting model kits etc. and would like to make their Rex to look better than just a grey piece of plastic. Though I might want to add couple of things.

I would rather use masking tape to mask this, specially if you want more a game accurate camo pattern. I noticed that the game accurate pattern would be quite angular and kind of a square in some places. With putty you can create more of a snakeish (if that is a word) pattern, but for the kind of strict anglular pattern, masking tape will do the trick.

Washes are also good, but in this case I would encourage people to use different colors and not just black. Black can be good for some panel lining, but dark grey, brown and dark green can be used. Or you can mix these as you like. You can make washes from ordinary acrylic paints as well by adding more water. Just remember, that even though these are called washes, I wouldn't actually try to Wash the whole model or different sections with it. Like being said, use it for creating depth, slight weathering and for panel lining. Washes Can be used to create filters to give the whole model a more uniformed look, but I think that is the another story :D.

There is a one thing about him that kind of bothers me. His arms aren't actually connected to his body. They are connected to those shoulder pads, but as you can see, there is a huge gap between his arms and his body. You can go in front of a mirror and compare your own body to that. Your arms connetc to your shoulders, right. But not in case of good ol' Solidus. That just don't look natural at all :D. It just looks awry. Don't know if it ruins the whole model, but it sure looks awry.

Last edited:
That would be cool, but 3A puts an "Estimated" before their release areas if I recall. Also, while I am tempted to do that, I know I'll get a decent amount more than what I paid by selling Rex on the aftermarket. I definitely want compensation for the hassle of all of this and that's the only way to get it I guess.

Great point, we can use the profits to fund our Rays!

Wait . . . .

I too really love the raiden design and the figure looks perfect. After playing the MGR: rising demo, I'm absolutly enthousiastic about the game and now I 'm looking for a konami premium package but there are all sold out :(

yeah - i figure they'll release the white Raiden as con exclusive next year...maybe.

I'm OK with only buying two of the regular Raiden PAK figures - one to display on my shelf and one to take to work to play with :D

Found some time to paint some details like camo on the radome and the tight plate and yellow marks on the radar unit
sanstitre2ur.jpg

Solidus just join snake and cyborg ninja:
sanstitre3fg.jpg

sanstitre4uw.jpg

sanstitre5jo.jpg

Sorry for the IM stands, but those damn figures won't stand by themself lol

Last edited:
Back