Metal gear solid 4 best game of 2008!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Woah!!! How does a person get over 37,000 posts? That's amazing man! :horror

Anyway, MGS 4 was a game that was meant for fans of the series. After all, the game is designated as "4" :lol, which is a number that's not friendly to newcomers.

All of the cutscenes can be skipped, by the way (even though it's not recommended to do so).

I enjoyed MGS1, 2( well not really, not because of raiden) and 3, but mgs4 was a huge let down to me :monkey2:monkey2:monkey2 and the first metal gear online is way better than this new online crap

Woah!!! How does a person get over 37,000 posts? That's amazing man! :horror

Anyway, MGS 4 was a game that was meant for fans of the series. After all, the game is designated as "4" :lol, which is a number that's not friendly to newcomers.

All of the cutscenes can be skipped, by the way (even though it's not recommended to do so).

Lots of free time over the last 5 years. :lol

Right which is why I didn't want to skip them as I didn't want to miss out on anything. I just didn't want to not get a lot of game play in while waiting for the 40 mins cutscene to end.

Well, in all fairness, MGS 4 was released in June of this year (over half-a-year ago), so you can't expect it to still be the top game in the sales charts (to whichever charts you were referring to) -- especially since a wealth of new games were released later this year.

But, for any game to be released six months ago, and still hold a position in the top 5 position, says a lot about its popularity.

Heh...I was talking about the PS3, it's 5th on the list of sales for console systems in the US. It got beaten out by the PSP,Nintendo DS,360, and Wii.

November NPD Hardware
Wii - 2.04 million
DS - 1.57 million
Xbox 360 - 836K
PSP - 421K
PS3 - 378K
PS2 - 206K

November NPD Software
1. Gears of War 2 - Xbox 360 - 1.56 million
2. Call of Duty: World at War - Xbox 360 - 1.41 million
3. Wii Play w/ remote - Wii - 796K
4. Wii Fit - Wii - 697K
5. Mario Kart - Wii - 637K
6. Call of Duty: World at War - PS3 - 597K
7. Guitar Hero: World Tour - Wii - 475K
8. Left 4 Dead - Xbox 360 - 410K
9. Resistance 2 - PS3 - 385K
10. Wii Music - Wii - 297K

Last edited:
Disagree. Very much so.

Like you've played it...:sick

I agree with the award in a way, to me, its tied with Fallout 3.

I really dont understand this Gears of War love though....
Both Gears games are horrible, I'm counting single player only, because I had no XBL when I played the first, and I cant find a match on the 2nd (go figure :O)

But yeah, Gears sucks, worst VG story ever, very glad that it didn't touch the nominations.

But...I'm glad I got a ps3 for MGS4, It and GOW3 (the game more deserving of the acronym :p) are the only real reasons I own it, as I favor the 360 more but MGS4 is a fantastic game, very emotional and intense.

I dont wanna play it. I want great game play before a story. Sure, a story is important, but if I truly need a good story, i'll watch a movie, or read a book. Which is why Gears rocks. Its so damn fun on every level. Intense!

Both Gears games are horrible, I'm counting single player only, because I had no XBL when I played the first, and I cant find a match on the 2nd (go figure :O)

But yeah, Gears sucks, worst VG story ever, very glad that it didn't touch the nominations.

:lol < LOL!!!!!!

Like you've played it...:sick

I agree with the award in a way, to me, its tied with Fallout 3.

You pull someone up on there opinion on not liking something ( Celticp and MGS4 ) then you say gears of war sucks. :confused:
Ok then...

Oh yeah and...

:lol < LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GEARS series and MGS 4 are both great games in many different levels.
I havent played gears 2 yet but I will be real soon.
My friend got a 360 for xmas and he went and bought GEARS 2 because of all the hype on tv.

he beat it in under 5 hours and he was pretty pissed to spend 70 dollars on a 5 hr game then he tried online it it was a lag fest.
TOTAL dissapointment.

very mixed reviews of gears I have being hearing from people wich makes me wonder why such a big hype for this game.

I remember there was no hype at all for MGS4, only 20 people in line when I went and got it and very very few tv commercials.

For gears people camped out and stuff and on spike tv they play there commercials all the time.

I have played gears one and I loved it but from what I hear the game looks fantastic but there was no improvement.

MGS series has being evolving since day one.
Hideo keeps improving this games evrytime he makes one and all hes efforts combined to make this ultimate masterpiece that is METAL GEAR SOLID 4.

dont think That I am putting down the GEARS OF WAR series but from what I am hearing is not the ULTIMATE game evryone is talking about.

You pull someone up on there opinion on not liking something ( Celticp and MGS4 ) then you say gears of war sucks. !

No, i implied that he hasn't even played it....Which he hasn't.

Gears of war sucks period, the art design sucks, the story sucks, the repetition is awful (honestly, you do the same thing over and over again)

The gameplay is pretty damn good though, solid., but when you repeat it over and over again throughout a 4 hour lackluster campaign, it's not too fun, especially while listening to annoying badly written characters like Dom Santiago...."yeah, keep running so i can shoot you in your asses!" *literally 10 seconds later* " MARIAA!!!"

I know my Opinion isn't the mainstream one at the moment, since for some reason Gears is insanely popular, when its really a mediocre game, both of them.

Metal Gear Solid has a terrible story. People seem to equate the amount of information in a story to quality which just isn't the case. Fun game though. Way to short. The return to Shadow Moses sent a chill up my spine. That was my gaming moment of the year, but the game is not my game of the year.

I also am WTF'ing to people saying that MGS has the best video game story, cause it doesn't, its really fleshed out and entertaining, but is not the Shakespeare people make it out to be.

I also am WTF'ing to people saying that MGS has the best video game story, cause it doesn't, its really fleshed out and entertaining, but is not the Shakespeare people make it out to be.

I agree. It's a complex story for a video game, but once it all plays out it's incredible stupid in my opinion. Kojima himself even said after MGS1 he was winging it with the story and making it up as he went, and it showed IMO.

I agree. It's a complex story for a video game, but once it all plays out it's incredible stupid in my opinion. Kojima himself even said after MGS1 he was winging it with the story and making it up as he went, and it showed IMO.

Yeah, the Liquid mind controlling arm....is pretty damn genius if you ask me
:lol

Yeah, the Liquid mind controlling arm....is pretty damn genius if you ask me
:lol

Well, I thought it was genius (initially) :lol. After all, in MGS 3 we learned that Ocelot's father, The Sorrow, had the ability to manipulate and control the spirits of the dead. It only made sense that Ocelot would also have this paranormal ability, hence, Ocelot's mind-meld with Liquid's arm to become Liquid Ocelot.

But, they didn't include that logic the MGS 4 storyline. Ocelot's "possession" was due to psycho-induced drugs.......etc. I mean... what the heck?!!

Being a fan of the MGS series, like yourself, I agree that there are some parts of the storyline that I don't agree with (Meryl and Johnny's wedding, Snake's wussing out from shooting himself, Big Boss returning from the dead). But besides all of that, I feel that MGS 4 did bring a more than acceptable close to the series.

Yeah I love MGS its one of the best video game series, but when its filled with SO much story, there are a bunch of things that are just downright stupid.

Yeah I love MGS its one of the best video game series, but when its filled with SO much story, there are a bunch of things that are just downright stupid.

If it didn't have those little quirks, would it be MGS? I am playing through MGS4 right now for the first time, and every time one of those silly or outlandish things happen, it makes me smile. To me, those are part of what makes MGS what it is.

Gears of war sucks period, the art design sucks, the story sucks, the repetition is awful (honestly, you do the same thing over and over again)

The gameplay is pretty damn good though, solid., but when you repeat it over and over again throughout a 4 hour lackluster campaign, it's not too fun, especially while listening to annoying badly written characters like Dom Santiago...."yeah, keep running so i can shoot you in your asses!" *literally 10 seconds later* " MARIAA!!!"

I know my Opinion isn't the mainstream one at the moment, since for some reason Gears is insanely popular, when its really a mediocre game, both of them.

:lol < LOL !!!!!!!!!!!

YOU SAY YOU'VE NEVER PLAYED GEARS OF WAR ONLINE.
You make out as if Celticp can't have an opinion because he hasn't played it.
IMO , you've never really played gears of war fully until you play it online with friends and enjoy it for what it is.
A team game. You can't win gears running in and shooting the crap out of everyone like most games today. When your in teams online you have to help each other out , flank and stay behind cover. Otherwise your gonna end up with a chainsaw up your ass.
Its clever gameplay.

BTW I loved metal gear solid 3 and can't wait to play 4 once I buy it. Never played the rest really so I don't know about those.

Oh and I do have trouble finding games on gars 2 as well sometimes when I'm alone but when I'm with friends I don't.
For some reason they decided to make the gears 2 atchmaking system like Halo and Call of duty. i think the matchaking in part 1 was perfect for gears.

Go back to gears 1 and play it online , its brillaint.
I think you would be pleasantly suprised.

Last edited:

:lol < LOL !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Back