Mesa's Museum

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Superb collection.
I have just been through all the pages and was glad to see you put Doom up higher in the end. That guy needs to be at eye level.

Mesa, aren't you afraid that Doom might come crashing down? It's so HEAVY at 25 lbs.. I had to revert back to the original board shelf that came with Besta instead of using the clear glass shelf (max load is 23 lbs).

Mesa, aren't you afraid that Doom might come crashing down? It's so HEAVY at 25 lbs.. I had to revert back to the original board shelf that came with Besta instead of using the clear glass shelf (max load is 23 lbs).

Yesh, I was a little concerned at first, but it seems to be doing fine. There are 5 metal "pegs" holding the glass shelf up, and glass is like 3/8" thick, so I think it will be okay. Although I do have another curio now (on the right) that has 1/2" thick glass that I may move him too if he fits.

Wow Mesa, you have an awesome setup going on there! I worry too about my Ringwraith LSB breaking the glass shelf in my cabinet, I cant even imagine what the Dr Doom is like, I didnt realize how huge that thing really is :google
Lots of nice Lord of the Rings stuff in your collection. :monkey5

Congrats!

Looks perfect, if you have any experience with lighting and maybe some curio advice.

two thumbs up on your collection

So I moved Doom over to the (tall) curio on the right, just next to the corner curio that you see in pics. It has 1/2" glass shelves. Unfortunaetly, that only has about 12" of depth, so it's hard to pistion him well to take advantage of the mirrors, but I think the peace of mind will keep him on that sturdier shelf. That was definately a concern of mine, although he did fine for over a month. I did like the corner display that had the right angle mirrors behind him to highlight all the throne details. Now, original IM is located there, so I'll just go with it for now.

Looks perfect, if you have any experience with lighting and maybe some curio advice.

two thumbs up on your collection

Thanks JR. As far as curios go, eff that Ikea Besta or Deltof stuff. Just check your local craigslist regularly and within a few months, you'll have exactly what you need. I haven't spent more than $300 for any of the curios you see, and most run average of $100-$200. Latest alien display was $150, which is less than a single diorama. Lots of people wanting to sell stuff immediately, so bargains can be found with some patience.

AS far as lighting, nix the halogens, too hot, worries me about potential damage. Go for 60W incadescent (GE Reveal Ceiling Fan) bulb, which works with dimmers. I also want to get some spot lights to get some light on the lower shelves which ultimately suffer because light from above can't penetrate that far. A buddy of mine has some halogen stands (deemed okay by me since external and little heat transfer internally to display) with about 4 positional lights and I'm going to see where he got them from.

Last edited:
Nice thanks, Craigs seems to be a treasuretrove of all kinds. Im wondering on how to test the glass weight load.

Your set up is really impressive!! Are you going to display your daddy 'rog? I'd love to see that bad boy up with the rest of your stuff...I have to get him one of these days...:monkey3

Some more updates, including Thor.

And please give me a vote... or 5. I don't like being a 3 star collection.

IMG_0883 (Large).JPG
IMG_0884 (Large).JPG

IMG_0886 (Large).JPG
IMG_0887 (Large).JPG

IMG_0888 (Large).JPG
IMG_0889 (Large).JPG

IMG_0912 (Large).JPG
IMG_0914 (Large).JPG

IMG_0913 (Large).JPG

Wow, that Thor is huge :google, so is the Treachery of Saruman Dio, 2 gigantic pieces for sure. :horror

Oh btw, I'll give you a cheesburger for your Ringwraith on Steed statue. fresh off the grill :p

Thanks everyone, 4 stars, woo hoo.

Thanks Joe. Surprisingly, I still have a potter collection sitting in the closet.

No problem
Go check out my collection page...not as awesome as your but I posted a pic of my entire Potter bust collection,on the last page. It's only missing Snape and Dumbledore now.

Back