Merry & Pippin Commission...

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which Hobbit First?

• Meriadoc "Merry" Brandybuck

Votes: 21 61.8%
  • Peregrin "Pippin" Took

Votes: 13 38.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

thenammagazine

Super Freak
Reaction score
Okay so here's the deal. With Sideshow announcing that they've put the LOTR 12" line on hold, several of us were in an uproar with our incomplete Fellowship. So fellow freaks set about making, what I consider, the perfect complimentary Gimli in a step toward finishing the Fellowship. Literally everything was available through resources to complete the perfect kitbash needing just a minor body mod and repaint. With Gimli done, that only leaves Merry and Pippin. Unfortunately, this is the roadblock. Nobody else really finished the Fellowship either so there aren't many parts readily available, namely USABLE headsculpts for the two Hobbits.

So with that, after talking with Pixletwin, we've decided to commission the headsculpts. We can get them done for about $200 a piece. While that may seem expensive, split between 20 people, that's a measly $10 per dedicated freak. Once the headsculpts are complete, we're considering approaching a fellow freak to see about recasting the commissioned headsculpts in PVC to make them available to everyone for cheaper (plus they'd look better and be more durable too).

So what we're needing is 20 dedicated freaks to put up the initial $10 for the first hard sculpt (pix and I already make up 2) as well as figure out who we're getting done first (the poll is open for 60 days). Once the choice is decided and sculpt completed, we will repeat the process for the other Hobbit.

If you're down for the $10 deposit, PM Pix and he'll tell ya what to do...

I need to clear up a bit of confusion for some people.... Please keep in mind, the initial price is just to have a hard sculpt of the Hobbits made. Once done, that sculpt will be sent to someone else to make PVC recasts. the PVC recasts should be no more than $5-$10 and will be ordered straight from the freak doing the recast.

Last edited:
After I finish up Gimli, I will begin work on both of these. Sounds like people are antsy for head sculpts first so that'll be where I start. I've already begun sourcing material for the clothing, making patterns and figuring out a 1:6 solution to Merry's quilted vest detail and Pippin's scarf...

If you guys want to commission someone else to do sculpts, no prob, but I haven't been impressed with many of the custom sculpts I've seen so will be making my own regardless.

The sculpts will be the same scale as Frodo and Sam but I've yet to decide how to do the hair pieces. What are your thoughts?

Should the head and hair together cast as 1 piece or the hair cast as a separate wig piece? Should Frodo and Sam's wigs be used or all new hair sculpts?

I would think that trying to do things Sideshow's way would be the best.

My personal goal is to make these look indistinguishable from SS's work. I know some are ok with "close enough" but, being a stickler for detail, that will irk me every time I look at them, knowing they could've been better.

I voted for Meriadoc only because he was the first choice in the poll. It could just as easily been Peregrin. It really doesn't matter to me as long as we get this party started and get both. Count me in for $10.

EDIT: BTW, I say if we're going to go for authentic Sideshow level work, then they'll need original hair. Split the wigs Sideshow style. And please, for the love of Jonas, give them good facial expressions!

Last edited:
Ok I will use this post space to collect names:

1. thenammagazine
2. pixletwin
3. Carbo Fation
4. Blu Falcon
5. Darth Trafford
6. DarkArtist81
7. Superdoug
8. jaffakitkat
9. dwing
10. icruise
11. Lerath666
12. The Ween
13. Yodasan
14. thamesvalidude
15. El Skutto
16. Reinhardt

Are you in EC?

Last edited:
count me in for both depending on cost. $10 each is completly doable for me. $20 plus starts to get harder since I'm not a painter and would probably have to find sokmebody to paint them for me.

would they be made in a way to fit on the ss hobbit body?

Good luck guys, I am out on this one. I would have purchased them if they were done by Sideshow with good accessories, but just dont have the need to tackle this as a custom.

Between sculpting, painting, bodies, stands, accessories, quality & accurate clothing its to much time effort & $$$$$ for me for characters I had little interest in.

I am interested to see what you guys come up with though.

What do you mean WG?

Maybe I misread thenam -- he wrote:

So with that, after talking with Pixletwin, we've decided to commission the headsculpts. We can get them done for about $200 a piece. While that may seem expensive, split between 20 people, that's a measly $10 per dedicated freak. Once the headsculpts are complete, we're considering approaching a fellow freak to see about recasting the commissioned headsculpts in PVC to make them available to everyone for cheaper (plus they'd look better and be more durable too).

So does that mean selling the headsculpt that cost $200 for 20 people to others at a lower price and molded in PVC? That's what it sounds like, because he said its cheaper that way...cheaper for who? 20 people already paid to get the sculpt sculpted, right? So is it better to wait for a cheaper, better version that's recasted?

I'm confused now.

Oh I see.

We figured it would be around $200 for the headsculpt and then to get it casted would only be about $4-5 more. At this point its all speculation until we all decide on a sculptor.

:D

Oh I see.

We figured it would be around $200 for the headsculpt and then to get it casted would only be about $4-5 more. At this point its all speculation until we all decide on a sculptor.

:D

Ah... so its gonna be $15 a head if you get 20 people. OK, I see. Casting is separate. Thenam needs to add that to the proposal. Buyers need to consider shipping too.

So are you approaching Howes? Maybe you should wait for EC to finish his sculpts first.

Back