Medicom quality question ?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah no loose joints just shattering joints !!! had that happen to me on a comic spiderman and Neo -

Still think medi's look amazing.

But HT is fast becoming the number 1 for 1/6 figures in every way.

Yeah no loose joints just shattering joints !!! had that happen to me on a comic spiderman and Neo -

Especially w/ Hot Toys grabbing licenses left and right, and pumping out products, including secondary characters (!!:google) at what I would call an alarming rate - there'll come a time when Medicom is being crushed under the weight of Sideshow and Hot Toys...
I do enjoy my Medicom figures, but I also prefer NOT to think of how much I spent on them...
If Hot Toys starts grabbing more Anime licenses (besides some of my favorite Sci-fi's already), Medicom's doomed...:emperor

Whether that's a bad thing or not... is in the eyes of the beholder:chew

If you don't feel like reading bellow, to sum up; Medicom I think from limited experience makes quality product but they do charge to much.

I have two experiences with Medicom. My first was an old Medicom figure I recently purchased and my second was a loose Jango body I bought on ebay (to replace the old body). Both my experiences have been good. Both bodies seem very well made. Is Medicom over priced? Yes. They share more in common with mass market figures US 12" figures (like GI Joe) than DiD, Sideshow, Hot Toys, Dragon, etc.

That said I like my Ichi a lot though, would even go as far to say he's one of my two favorite figures. A lot of that though is that he's a representation of something I love. If he was any other character.. even one I really liked I don't think I'd be happy having paid $135 (shipped) and $50 getting him up to snuff.

I think a lot would say they already are the #1 company by a mile. :chew

I actually have only ever had 2 medicom figures and one of them broke as soon as I took it out ( brand new ). It was a spiderman 3 figure , its hand snapped off straight way.
I sold it to spawn fan with one hand missing , not sure if its still how it was , it might of even broke more. Hope it hasn't .

I've never had a problem with a Medicom figure. But I don't aggressively play with these figures either. I usually set them in a pose until I get tired of it, then repose them. I always thought Hot Toys joints were looser.

I've never had a problem with a Medicom figure. But I don't aggressively play with these figures either. I usually set them in a pose until I get tired of it, then repose them. I always thought Hot Toys joints were looser.

I could probably agree with that, I don't think a HT body could hold a pose like this against such a tight neoprene suit constantly trying to pull it back into position.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/dedguy/2561463798/

My advice? underss the figure, and see if the joint is loose or broken. If it's just loose, EVERY JOINT ON A MEDI BODY CAN BE TIGHTENED as the body is held together by screws.

I've had precious little breakage with Medicoms, though you can tell just from holding them that they are fragile; very brittle plastic. My #1 problem with them is that over time, color from dark clothing will migrate into the bodies, espescially the soft vinyl/plastic of the head (like if you have a dark colored collar that rests up against the figure's neck. If you've ever owned a Medi Trinity from the Matrix, the black from her bodysuit stains her whole body over time. I've been very happy with Hot Toys, and I don't buy Medicoms anymore, because it just seems you do get fragility/quality issues over time. Nice to look at, but I always fear over time the resale value can be affected by the quality. (and I do sometimes sell my stuff when I get tired of it, or a better version comes along.)

Whats With The Cheap Plastic Asian Companies Use For Their Figures...???? Hot Toys Do The Same As Medicom.....its Definitely Not The Same Plastic Than Sideshow.Sideshow Use a better , more Sturdy Plastic.

At the moment I have about 12 Medicom figures. No breakage or loose joints so far (hehe... after inspection, they go back in the box...), but I have to agree that the quality of these figures is not what it should be. The finishing off on some figures is really below everything. And yes, they are overpriced too. At least 30%!
Hot toys offers much much more for the same price (and sometimes for even less!). And when it comes to sturdiness, even Sideshow is better than Medicom.

Whats With The Cheap Plastic Asian Companies Use For Their Figures...???? Hot Toys Do The Same As Medicom.....its Definitely Not The Same Plastic Than Sideshow.Sideshow Use a better , more Sturdy Plastic.

TK told me something that made sense. You notice medicom figure stands come with two holders....one for the waist and one for the leg/thigh.

I don't think the problem is "cheap" plastic, because all plastic is cheap. The problem is that medicom uses thinner or lighter weight plastic due to the fact that they want the figure to weigh less so that it can achieve aerial poses or dynamic action poses using the stand without having it fall or topple over. Also the lighter weight allows for the figures to make the most use of the body in terms of posing without the stand too.

I have several Medicom figures, not many but of the ones I have my Spiderman 3 (Red/Blue) had been somewhat of a pain in the ass, I love the figure but find it way to loose. Oh that and I broke a hand already, these don't cost TOO much but compared to others I would say its price is decent.

My ONLY issue with Medicom is that they do a lousy job with their human sculpts and for the most part cost WAY too much for what you get. If they were to stick to non human characters they will always have a great fan base.

Their price needs to come down some if they don't want to get squashed by Hot Toys, I don't see Sideshow as a factor though. But as for loose joints I have more Hot Toys issues than I do Medicom.

TK told me something that made sense. You notice medicom figure stands come with two holders....one for the waist and one for the leg/thigh.

I don't think the problem is "cheap" plastic, because all plastic is cheap. The problem is that medicom uses thinner or lighter weight plastic due to the fact that they want the figure to weigh less so that it can achieve aerial poses or dynamic action poses using the stand without having it fall or topple over. Also the lighter weight allows for the figures to make the most use of the body in terms of posing without the stand too.

yeah..it makes sense.

My ONLY issue with Medicom is that they do a lousy job with their human sculpts and for the most part cost WAY too much for what you get. If they were to stick to non human characters they will always have a great fan base.

I think that's not so much the case anymore, their more recent figures have excelent face sculpts if not so complicated paint work. Even still I think their anime/manga figures are always their best work.

As far as other good things about Medicom, they consistantly develop new bodies. They always have a variety of bodies to work with unlike pretty much every other company. Medicom has to have the largest variety of bodies out there. They also do figures no one else (1/6 sale or not) would ever do. Who else has done a Phantom of the Paradise? Rocketeer? Judge Dredd (okay well ToyBiz did one)? I could go on.

They are still too damn expensive but Medicom has their good points as well as bad.

They just need to make a Shinji and Kaworu damnit.

Shinji! I second that!

I belive that the price of the Medicom figures is a 100% Japanese price, adapted to the Japanese market. Even after import fees and all, these figures should be less expensive on the US and EU market, but they are not. Somehow, the collector scene has got used to those prises I'm afraid. So, it's actually pretty easy to sell these figures outside of Japan at the price Medicom asks. And, as long as we keep on paying that price, there's no real reason for Medicom (or any other firm) to ask less.

There's more to a figure's durability than the thickness or thinness of the plastic. Plastic composition is also an issue. In order to maximize profits, the cheapest grade will be used. Sometimes this is specificed by the original manufacturer, or done quietly by the factory owners. Almost all plastic injection is outsourced to China, and switching of plastic (for example from ABS to polystyerene) is not unheard of.

The other issues with Medicom is poor engineering of the hip joints. The legs attach to a peg secured at the bock of the body. This creates a lot of torsional stress on the joints resulting in early breakage. If the legs were attached to the hips by a peg...front and back, you'd have alot less instances of disarticulated limbs.

BOBBY

have had 13 medi rah so far and none broke. while some of my HT already have loose ankles and broken wrist pins. nothing is perfect, and you shouldn't expect things to last forever no matter what price you paid for. besides, fixing/customizing in 1/6 is not that difficult. Its fun. :D

Yeah I agree with that. Everything will break eventually. I'm just as careful as I can be with my stuff to get the longest time out of it.

I think that's not so much the case anymore, their more recent figures have excelent face sculpts if not so complicated paint work. Even still I think their anime/manga figures are always their best work.

As far as other good things about Medicom, they consistantly develop new bodies. They always have a variety of bodies to work with unlike pretty much every other company. Medicom has to have the largest variety of bodies out there. They also do figures no one else (1/6 sale or not) would ever do. Who else has done a Phantom of the Paradise? Rocketeer? Judge Dredd (okay well ToyBiz did one)? I could go on.

They are still too damn expensive but Medicom has their good points as well as bad.

They just need to make a Shinji and Kaworu damnit.

Gotta agree with most of what you have said.
Yep, recent human head sculpts have increasingly better likeness and paint work.
Seriously though, Medicom excels best in Japanese anime/manga and tokusatsu stuffs. I like how they design a certain body just to fit into the art style of a particular anime.

On to their body, well.....I have about 39 Medicom figs, so far less than 5 have got breakage issues(all easily fix with a little work) and I consider myself lucky.

I would dig a kaworu/kaoru figure!
I would love them to do some rurouni kenshin figs too.

Back