Medicom Kaneda and bike

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi there,
as I am new I wish every one a happy new year. At the moment I can use @ anomalous. So just wanna say that I am new into 12" business. The Kaneda is my first figure (next to an oldschool embassador from Mars attacks "aack aack").

I got it for 110$ incl. shipping/customs to germany. So far it is a good deal if I compare it with prices here in Germany/Europe.

My first impression:

+ great sculpture of the head (the closest to the Manga/Anime Kaneda) so far
+ nice laser gun
+ good articulation

- cheap clothes
- to thin overall look

I know Kaneda was a teenager in the Manga. but he wasn't that thin at all. :) I will go through the books sometime to check again.

So far I was busy yesterday put tissue paper under the shirt an the pants. As long as he looked a little more fit. As well I had to blow dry the wire for the laser. It was totaly folded, so after warming it I could make it look better. So far for the price it was still to expensive but you know :D

That was it so far. The bike will hopefully reach me soon. I will post Pictures as well.

Greetings from germany

dice

ps: @alice Nice posing of Kaneda!

How much is this set going at? My friend was really interested in it, when it was announced. He didnt have a job them, now he does and would like to find any store which is still selling this as a set, apparently its all sold out or pre-order sold out in most online stores!

My long rambling tale of pursuing Kaneda's bike.

It's been almost TWO YEARS NOW since we first saw images of these glorious toys, and within the next 48 hours, they will finally, at long last....be MINE!!

I have an unfair advantage to a lot of you guys here...I live in Japan. Just outside Tokyo actually. And it wouldn't be stretching the truth to say that the anime AKIRA is one of the reasons I eventually came to live here.

When I saw that movie at the local arthouse theater back in early 1990...it BLEW. ME. AWAY. I'd never seen anything like it, and despite the mainstream proliferation of anime in the years since, I still think it holds up as the BEST.

AKIRA got me into manga and anime and that in turn got me interested in Japan in general. I'll never forget the first time I saw Tokyo....I felt like I'd walked right into one of Otomo's drawings. So yeah, in a nerdy, dorky, otaku-kinda way, I came to Japan cause of AKIRA. But I stayed cause of the girls! :wink1:

Over the years, we finally got some good AKIRA toys. First there was McFarlane. Well....not good, but they were something, and that's better than nothing. I was so infuriated to finally have a Kaneda and a bike, and he couldn't even ride the damn thing! And we had to wait a whole year and buy them both over again for the riding version! And they weren't even really all that accurate...a lot of McFarlane-esque liberties were taken.

I eventually acquired the elusive BanDai 1988 Kaneda on ebay. Cool for what it is...but it's over 20 years old and it shows. Still better than the McF stuff though!

And then there were trading kit figures here....those were fun....but finally in 2004 BanDai released the Soul of Popynica PX03......gorgeous bike....really perfect if you ask me...just awesome!

https://www.collectiondx.com/node/1939

(if you're not familiar with it!)

But there was one flaw....the figure. Yeah, he was posed to sit on the bike, so that's better than the McF one. But he was juuuuuust out of scale. Just a littttttle too big to look right on the bike. And it would be nice if he was poseable.

But I didn't care...this was my holy grail and I finally had it and that kept me happy......until that day in early 2009 when I strolled into a bookstore and flipped through a Hobby Japan and saw a small image of a NEW 12" Kaneda. (I never did get the original from Wonderfest.....so rare and expensive.)

Pretty cool....I thought. But damn expensive. I was kinda torn....without a bike it didn't seem like a MUST have....and a little while later, the prototype of the bike was unveiled at a toy convention, and I knew I would have to have it.

To me the bike looks almost identical to the smaller release...but it has lights and sounds. But that's not what sold me....Kaneda is perfectly in scale with the bike. He looks like he stepped right out of the animation reference guide. But that perfection comes at a price....60,000 YEN!!!! Christ, that's a lot of money for a toy....

March 2010 finally came around....the month in which both Kaneda and his _____in' ride were to be released. And the same month....I lost my job.

It's hard enough making ends meet in Japan when you have work...but without? Forget about any unnecessary spending...hell, forget about even eating everyday! But definitely forget about owning this masterpiece.

I saw the bike in it's HUGE box at a toy store.....ONCE. Price tag was 39990 yen. I longingly caressed the box....which even had the extra cowling set.....but it was not meant to me. It was sold by the next time I went in.

Kaneda sold out FAST too. I only saw him once during the initial shipment, and that in a display case in Akihabara with a big SOLD OUT sign on him.

And just like that, my dreams of owning this monster of a toy were gone, and around the same time, I tortured myself by checking this very thread daily, looking at everyone's pictures and getting jealous.

Around May, Kaneda was reissued, and starting showing up in more abundance. I was still out of a job though...and he was still almost 20,000 yen. Besides, what's the point if I can't get the bike too?

Well I heard the bike was getting re-released in December, but without the extra cowling. Hey, I can live with that!

So in September I was finally working again, although it was part time, and I was still BROKE. My girlfriend and I were meeting in Tokyo for dinner so I was waiting for her at a toy store. And then I saw Kaneda....brand new...in the package.....for HALF PRICE. 9300 yen.

Nothing wrong with the figure...they just needed to move the stock. But damn it...I was so broke!! But this was such a wonderful chance...it might never happen again? What to do???

Well, my girlfriend is pretty rad. She bought it for me, but I told her I didn't want it until I could afford to pay for it myself.

Four months later, it's still sitting in her closet.....

But that's about to change, cause I just got my first paycheck from my new full time job! So now I can finally afford to get the figure from my GF!

And of course...he'll need a ride. Just out of curiosity, I checked amazon Japan to see what the going rate on the bike was.

I just about shat my pants.

Amazon has it IN STOCK, brand new, with FREE SHIPPING......27812 yen. 30% off.

Yeah, it's a lot of cash, but I think I can afford it, so I went ahead and did it. Like Kaneda, chances like this don't come up very often.

It's in transit now....it will be at my door in a day or two. Amazon lets you pay COD too, so that means no pre-order, no credit cards...I just pay the delivery man the cash and it's all mine.

I'm gonna wait til my GF brings Kaneda over this weekend for the glorious unveiling....I'm so excited....Christmas is a few weeks late for me this year but it's gonna be sooooo awesome!!

Unfortunately, amazon only ships within Japan. Such a shame....(HLJ has it for 15% off right now.....)

I feel like I got the deal of a lifetime. I missed out on the extra cowling, but I'll end up with a brand new Kaneda and Bike for less than 40,000 yen....you can't beat that!!!!

If you actually read all this....thanks!! I can't wait!!!!

Last edited:
I'm glad you're finally going to get your hands on this grail duo man, and it is that - a true anime grail. I never thought I'd see a decent bike myself - I've still got the bike and Kaneda sitting on my desk taking up waay too much space. Can't put them anywhere else 'cause they don't fit.

Sounds like you're a true fan, you gonna love it! :duff

Congrats on getting the set! I too never thought we'd see these released... and while I don't love the Kaneda figure; the bike is so awesome and they look amazing together :rock

Now I just need to get Tetsuo!!!

Here two pics of Kaneda. The last pic shows him with the tissue under the clothes and the straigten wire. Actual nothing diffirent on the first view. But it was supposed to be like this. As skinny as it looks befor the normal it looks now.

greetings :)

Last edited:
Hey guys a little help?...
Just received my Bike direct from Sideshow. First thing i noticed was the shipper box was open a little. No biggy i guess because the box inside was fine. Get the bike out of its styrofoam coffin, load the batteries in, switch it on and marvel at the amazing lights and sounds BUT!...
I then noticed the back wheel wasn't lit like the front :( Basically it flickers on whilst i'm holding it in hand, however when i put the thing down, the green just dies completely on that darn back wheel! The other lights are perfect...
Quite clearly i've got a dud but anyone know what I should do?? I've contacted SS via their online form but how does it work seeing as i'm from England?? Should they replace it? or give me are partial refund or what?
Cheers in advance

Hey guys a little help?...
Just received my Bike direct from Sideshow. First thing i noticed was the shipper box was open a little. No biggy i guess because the box inside was fine. Get the bike out of its styrofoam coffin, load the batteries in, switch it on and marvel at the amazing lights and sounds BUT!...
I then noticed the back wheel wasn't lit like the front :( Basically it flickers on whilst i'm holding it in hand, however when i put the thing down, the green just dies completely on that darn back wheel! The other lights are perfect...
Quite clearly i've got a dud but anyone know what I should do?? I've contacted SS via their online form but how does it work seeing as i'm from England?? Should they replace it? or give me are partial refund or what?
Cheers in advance

heya, aah that sucks! maybe they will get you to send it back and they will fix it for you, if they cant fix it they will prob send you another one ;) well thats my theory, hehe, hope it gets sorted soon! :pray:

Re: My long rambling tale of pursuing Kaneda's bike.

It's been almost TWO YEARS NOW since we first saw images of these glorious toys, and within the next 48 hours, they will finally, at long last....be MINE!!

I have an unfair advantage to a lot of you guys here...I live in Japan. Just outside Tokyo actually. And it wouldn't be stretching the truth to say that the anime AKIRA is one of the reasons I eventually came to live here.

When I saw that movie at the local arthouse theater back in early 1990...it BLEW. ME. AWAY. I'd never seen anything like it, and despite the mainstream proliferation of anime in the years since, I still think it holds up as the BEST.

AKIRA got me into manga and anime and that in turn got me interested in Japan in general. I'll never forget the first time I saw Tokyo....I felt like I'd walked right into one of Otomo's drawings. So yeah, in a nerdy, dorky, otaku-kinda way, I came to Japan cause of AKIRA. But I stayed cause of the girls! :wink1:

Over the years, we finally got some good AKIRA toys. First there was McFarlane. Well....not good, but they were something, and that's better than nothing. I was so infuriated to finally have a Kaneda and a bike, and he couldn't even ride the damn thing! And we had to wait a whole year and buy them both over again for the riding version! And they weren't even really all that accurate...a lot of McFarlane-esque liberties were taken.

I eventually acquired the elusive BanDai 1988 Kaneda on ebay. Cool for what it is...but it's over 20 years old and it shows. Still better than the McF stuff though!

And then there were trading kit figures here....those were fun....but finally in 2004 BanDai released the Soul of Popynica PX03......gorgeous bike....really perfect if you ask me...just awesome!

https://www.collectiondx.com/node/1939

(if you're not familiar with it!)

But there was one flaw....the figure. Yeah, he was posed to sit on the bike, so that's better than the McF one. But he was juuuuuust out of scale. Just a littttttle too big to look right on the bike. And it would be nice if he was poseable.

But I didn't care...this was my holy grail and I finally had it and that kept me happy......until that day in early 2009 when I strolled into a bookstore and flipped through a Hobby Japan and saw a small image of a NEW 12" Kaneda. (I never did get the original from Wonderfest.....so rare and expensive.)

Pretty cool....I thought. But damn expensive. I was kinda torn....without a bike it didn't seem like a MUST have....and a little while later, the prototype of the bike was unveiled at a toy convention, and I knew I would have to have it.

To me the bike looks almost identical to the smaller release...but it has lights and sounds. But that's not what sold me....Kaneda is perfectly in scale with the bike. He looks like he stepped right out of the animation reference guide. But that perfection comes at a price....60,000 YEN!!!! Christ, that's a lot of money for a toy....

March 2010 finally came around....the month in which both Kaneda and his _____in' ride were to be released. And the same month....I lost my job.

It's hard enough making ends meet in Japan when you have work...but without? Forget about any unnecessary spending...hell, forget about even eating everyday! But definitely forget about owning this masterpiece.

I saw the bike in it's HUGE box at a toy store.....ONCE. Price tag was 39990 yen. I longingly caressed the box....which even had the extra cowling set.....but it was not meant to me. It was sold by the next time I went in.

Kaneda sold out FAST too. I only saw him once during the initial shipment, and that in a display case in Akihabara with a big SOLD OUT sign on him.

And just like that, my dreams of owning this monster of a toy were gone, and around the same time, I tortured myself by checking this very thread daily, looking at everyone's pictures and getting jealous.

Around May, Kaneda was reissued, and starting showing up in more abundance. I was still out of a job though...and he was still almost 20,000 yen. Besides, what's the point if I can't get the bike too?

Well I heard the bike was getting re-released in December, but without the extra cowling. Hey, I can live with that!

So in September I was finally working again, although it was part time, and I was still BROKE. My girlfriend and I were meeting in Tokyo for dinner so I was waiting for her at a toy store. And then I saw Kaneda....brand new...in the package.....for HALF PRICE. 9300 yen.

Nothing wrong with the figure...they just needed to move the stock. But damn it...I was so broke!! But this was such a wonderful chance...it might never happen again? What to do???

Well, my girlfriend is pretty rad. She bought it for me, but I told her I didn't want it until I could afford to pay for it myself.

Four months later, it's still sitting in her closet.....

But that's about to change, cause I just got my first paycheck from my new full time job! So now I can finally afford to get the figure from my GF!

And of course...he'll need a ride. Just out of curiosity, I checked amazon Japan to see what the going rate on the bike was.

I just about shat my pants.

Amazon has it IN STOCK, brand new, with FREE SHIPPING......27812 yen. 30% off.

Yeah, it's a lot of cash, but I think I can afford it, so I went ahead and did it. Like Kaneda, chances like this don't come up very often.

It's in transit now....it will be at my door in a day or two. Amazon lets you pay COD too, so that means no pre-order, no credit cards...I just pay the delivery man the cash and it's all mine.

I'm gonna wait til my GF brings Kaneda over this weekend for the glorious unveiling....I'm so excited....Christmas is a few weeks late for me this year but it's gonna be sooooo awesome!!

Unfortunately, amazon only ships within Japan. Such a shame....(HLJ has it for 15% off right now.....)

I feel like I got the deal of a lifetime. I missed out on the extra cowling, but I'll end up with a brand new Kaneda and Bike for less than 40,000 yen....you can't beat that!!!!

If you actually read all this....thanks!! I can't wait!!!!

its honest, from the heart post like this that makes me enjoy coming and reading :goodpost:

big congrats man, I know you must be super excited to get the set :hi5:

Back