medicom darth maul pics up

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh I'm still getting it through Sideshow, I don't have the patience to hunt for prices, I like the safety of the cancellation policy in a pinch, and I'm too for this figure to not secure and order when I get a chance. I'll be there tomorrow for PPO, and once this thing gets in my hands I'll photograph the hell out of it.

Sweet, I can't wait to see what you do with this thing in photoshop man!! Yeah,they got us by the balls on this one,but hey you have to get it right? I mean c'mon you're Maul Fan for christ's sake!!:rotfl :maul :maul :maul :maul :maul

Last edited:
Sweet, I can't wait to see what you do with this thing in photoshop man!! Yeah,they got us by the balls on this one,but hey you have to get it right? I mean c'mon you're Maul Fan for christ's sake!!:rotfl :maul :maul :maul :maul :maul

Way I see it, looking at it without considering price, it is a nicely done figure, and it's of my absolute favorite character. At the moment, it fits in the budget, so I'm ordering him, I know once I have it in hand, I won't care about the price, as I am with my other higher priced figures.

The real question is if both (SS & Medi Maul) were priced the same ($65), which would you buy? I own SS's and I can tell you hands down that I would buy the Medi version over SS's. I think SS's looks good overall, but I was never a huge fan of the blank, empty expression. I wanted menace. This is Maul for crying out loud!!!! If the production verison holds up as well as the pics, this will be THE definitive 1:6 Maul IMHO. But I will admit $150 hurts....

i think the price of $150 is very fair! this thing kicks!

In the rational world, it's insane, in the 1/6 figure world, it's insane, in Medi-1/6 world, it's fitting. Hannibal Lecter RAH from Medi is $99 at Sideshow, and all there is to him is a head sculpt, body and clothes, no accessories or anything, so for Maul to be $50 more make total sense, but doesn't change the fact that Medi is a highly overpriced company. I buy their products when I see something I like and Maul falls into that category, but it doesn't change that I think they charge and awful lot with nothing to justify it.

The real question is if both (SS & Medi Maul) were priced the same ($65), which would you buy? I own SS's and I can tell you hands down that I would buy the Medi version over SS's. I think SS's looks good overall, but I was never a huge fan of the blank, empty expression. I wanted menace. This is Maul for crying out loud!!!! If the production verison holds up as well as the pics, this will be THE definitive 1:6 Maul IMHO. But I will admit $150 hurts....

Here is Medicom's "raging" Maul next to the Sideshow's "black" Maul.

4362_press03-001.jpg
2115_press13-001.jpg

I dunno.. They look like the same expression to me. :rolleyes:

I'm not saying I don't like SS's. I do. I just like Medi's better. There's no denying it has a more menacing aura to it. And btw, compare the neck area of the tunic. SS's is plain old stitching. Medi's looks mike some embroidered pattern. The more I compare the two, the better Medi's clothing looks....

4362_press03-001.jpg
2115_press13-001.jpg

You are correct to an extent pix. Both figures have the Ray Park head sculpt in a dead state, the Medi figure's iris' being more up into his eyelids gives a menacing look because that's pretty much the only facial expression where humans move their eyes like that, plus the Medi eyes being Crayola shades of red and yellow, which is more film accurrate, where SSC's is more a maroon and gold tone, darkened and greyed like all their eyes, which works ok except on colored eyes. Maul's visage is very expressive through his eyes. Sideshow's Maul has a look fitting for the first half of TPM, and Medi's looks suited for the Duel of the Fates, which is why I'll be getting this piece, not that I feel it's better or anything, but it's different, and I happily collect any worthwhile Maul piece.

Lets not forget that we are comparing a production piece with a prototype.

That being said, I still feel Medi's has a better paint app and yes, the tailoring on the clothes, I am sure, will be better. I'd expect that for a higher price. I am just not sure Maul is worth as much as, say, ROTJ Vader.

Last edited:
Lets not forget that we are comparing a production piece with a prototype.

True enough, though in my, admittedly limited, experience with Medicom, what you see at proto is what you get in production (Jack Sparrow, Wolverine, Spider-Man 3, Star Wars VCDs). Of course, their simplistic paint apps and minimal accessories along with some fairly simple clothing lends to little room for changes to happen.

You are correct to an extent pix. Both figures have the Ray Park head sculpt in a dead state, the Medi figure's iris' being more up into his eyelids gives a menacing look because that's pretty much the only facial expression where humans move their eyes like that, plus the Medi eyes being Crayola shades of red and yellow, which is more film accurrate, where SSC's is more a maroon and gold tone, darkened and greyed like all their eyes, which works ok except on colored eyes. Maul's visage is very expressive through his eyes. Sideshow's Maul has a look fitting for the first half of TPM, and Medi's looks suited for the Duel of the Fates, which is why I'll be getting this piece, not that I feel it's better or anything, but it's different, and I happily collect any worthwhile Maul piece.

Wow can anyone see the difference betwen these 2 photos? clearly the medicom Maul looks more realistic and practiculy like a real person,but Sideshow still Wins because its Sideshow

...That being said, I still feel Medi's has a better paint app and yes, the tailoring on the clothes, I am sure, will be better. I'd expect that for a higher price. I am just not sure Maul is worth as much as, say, ROTJ Vader.

What I said.

Wow can anyone see the difference betwen these 2 photos? clearly the medicom Maul looks more realistic and practiculy like a real person,but Sideshow still Wins because its Sideshow

Well, I don't think either one "wins". They're both great looking figures. But, honestly, if you set them side by side with the price in front I don't think you'll notice a justifiable $90 increase over the SS version.

Don't know if you're quoting me because of my statement or trying to grab the pictures, but if you're going for my words, I'm not saying one is or is not triumphant over the other, my stance all along has been that both are very nice figures.

Well, I don't think either one "wins". They're both great looking figures. But, honestly, if you set them side by side with the price in front I don't think you'll notice a justifiable $90 increase over the SS version.

:clap :clap :clap

Someone "gets" the point. :monkey3

Back