McFarlane Toys: The Walking Dead

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423856306.274394.jpg

I don't collect the comic figures, but I'm picking up that Walker to display. I'll probably get Carl & Abraham for fodder.

The new building sets look great, especially the prison set.

That new zombie is fantastic. Its a great piece all around. It comes with a bunch of great weapons and places for them to go! Obviously having them all attached at once is a bit of overkill but one or two piece would look great in a display.

I'm a bit confused why Jesus has his sheath on the right side and he's holding the sword in his right hand. I don't remember him being a left as the sheath being on the right would suggest, despite him also holding the sword in the right hand. Then again, Adlard drew the Governor with a right holster only after he lost his right arm, so he doesn't always seem to think his drawings through :lol

For my 3rd custom, I wanted to tackle Hershel in one of his early looks from Season 2, specificially Episode 13 "Beside the Dying Fire".

Chose this version because I've liked TV Hershel a lot more than I thought I would. I plan on picking up the 6.5 version as well to display as his Prison look before his lost his leg. I'll pop the 6.5 head on the series 6 body for a post Governor encounter before his timely death.

Anyway, with what I learned on Shane I decided to go with four different shades of blue for Hershel's shirt to give it depth and make it look slightly worn. It worked out because around the armpits and back area look like he's sweating through his shirt.

I listened to BDCDiesel's advice about dirting them up to fit in with TWD figures so I applied a light gray on the pants, then a slightly darker gray followed by an even darker gray and finished it with a watered down charcoal gray wash. The middle section of the legs is the 2nd gray of the pants with the watered down charcoal gray wash.

For the lower right leg, I took the stump he came with and sliced it just under the knee stitching and sliced a spare Glenn right leg just below the kneecap so I can measure the length it needed. Once it was the correct height, I secured it with a thick safety pin and superglue then let it dry but because I don't have any sculpting material yet I did a old trick I use to do in the 90's. You apply superglue over the gap, let it dry and re-apply and you continue to do it until the gap is completely covered and finally you sanded it down until you get the shape you need. Then all I needed to do was slice the boot from the alternate lowerleg into the right shape to fit the Glenn boot area and just glued it since there was much movement there.

Lastly, I dremeled the hair close enough to how Hershel's hair was in Season 2, would've liked to sculpt it bigger but figured it would do with just paint. Managed to get all of the facial hair off but because of that the chin is a little on the small side.

Finished Hershel with a full repaint on the hands, neck, and head. Skin tone was a mix of Flat Flesh (Vallejo) & Warm Tint Skintone (Model Master) followed by a waterer down mix of the colors plus two dabs of white. The beard was the same skintone but with some off-white and black mixed it. Not sure if I like how the beard came out, I looked up a bunch of tutorials but wasn't really understanding some of them.

The only thing I didn't repaint was the eyes, I have no idea how to do those yet. Last thing was to repaint the shotgun since it was from the comic Rick and Andrea 2-pack, so it was just black for the gun, and brown for the stock and barrel. Applied some dark brown/black drybrush to the stock only, and some silver/gray to the overall gun.

r6yWtrw.jpg

VSWeLPe.jpg

ZNaiiFA.jpg

U4UcJyD.jpg

hkf7ObY.jpg

ljtSyZ5.jpg

qK8XpsB.jpg

MLEiODT.jpg

IuGCIZq.jpg

ObnCDZu.jpg

DT7JxCV.jpg

Recipe:
Series 6 Hershel body plus right leg stump, and right boot.
Series 5 Glenn right lowerleg (from mid-shin to bottom of pants)
Comic Series 2-pack Rick Grimes shotgun

I'm going to start prepping a t-shirt Rick (2-pack Rick shirt + series 6 Rick body) this weekend. Once Toyfair comes around, I'll know whether to start Tara (season 4/5), Rosita (season 5), Beth, Maggie (season 5). I have a spare new Governor, 2 Maggies, Michonne, comic Andrea, Carol, new Rick, Abraham, 2 Glenns, and parts of a Riot Gear zombie (Torso to Knees) & Tyreese (Upperbody to Pelvis).

The new building sets look great, especially the prison set.

That new zombie is fantastic. Its a great piece all around. It comes with a bunch of great weapons and places for them to go! Obviously having them all attached at once is a bit of overkill but one or two piece would look great in a display.

I'm a bit confused why Jesus has his sheath on the right side and he's holding the sword in his right hand. I don't remember him being a left as the sheath being on the right would suggest, despite him also holding the sword in the right hand. Then again, Adlard drew the Governor with a right holster only after he lost his right arm, so he doesn't always seem to think his drawings through :lol

Adlard is weird:
TWD134-666x1024.jpeg

Adlard is weird:
TWD134-666x1024.jpeg

I mean, I guess they are being accurate, but yeah, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense :lol

RC, Herschel looks great with the exception of the head. He's got too much of a Leno chin because of sculpt originally having the beard, which extended his jaw. If you could trim down his chin a bit, he'd look much, much better.

Yeah, I was thinking that might be the cause of it looking thin/long. I'll do that when I start the paint work on Rick. Doing the t-shirt/jeans look, but with his brown shirt from this past week.

There's still a 6th person In the series 8 lineup they haven't revealed (because there were 6 weapons in the teaser)

Back