Mazinger Z & Super Robots (Shogun Warriors) and other Mecha - Official thread!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Mazinger Z & Super Robots (Shogun Warriors) and other Mecha - Official thread!!

Oh, for F’s sake Bandai... Metal Build Evangelion? I don’t know what I think about this. BTW, could they have added any more movable panels or light gimmicks onto that Nu Gundam? The more I think about how much this will be, the more I wish it was a regular Metal Build release.

I'm wondering if it'll just go the same way as the 1/35 DX Gundam and VF-1J...

yWXbjDz.jpg

Last seen 2013. Even had a few magazine articles and a quoted price equivalent to about $700 at the time.

iJ9mOiV.jpg

Last seen 2015. Exhibited to great fanfare at that year's Tamashii Nations event and then never mentioned again.

Re: Mazinger Z & Super Robots (Shogun Warriors) and other Mecha - Official thread!!

I'm wondering if it'll just go the same way as the 1/35 DX Gundam and VF-1J...

yWXbjDz.jpg

Last seen 2013. Even had a few magazine articles and a quoted price equivalent to about $700 at the time.

iJ9mOiV.jpg

Last seen 2015. Exhibited to great fanfare at that year's Tamashii Nations event and then never mentioned again.

That thing is glorious ! Only a casual fan of Macross but that mech is amazing !

Ah, good point. We'll probably never see the Eva. The Nu Gundam has a better chance seeing as how it's been the winner of the most wanted Metal Build contest for two years. Even then, nothing is guaranteed.

Ah, good point. We'll probably never see the Eva. The Nu Gundam has a better chance seeing as how it's been the winner of the most wanted Metal Build contest for two years. Even then, nothing is guaranteed.

Actually I was talking about the Metal Structure Nu Gundam :lol I think the Eva Metal Builds - at the very least Unit-01 - are pretty much guaranteed to happen, Evangelion is a license to print money in Asia.

That thing is glorious ! Only a casual fan of Macross but that mech is amazing !

Yes it is - and it's probably never going to be released :monkey2

Personally very excited about the 1/60 Gundam. I collect mostly 1/6 and big mecha toys, and Metal Builds have always felt dinky and fragile to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Personally very excited about the 1/60 Gundam. I collect mostly 1/6 and big mecha toys, and Metal Builds have always felt dinky and fragile to me.

There's no doubt it's beautiful but I'm envisaging a price tag in the range of ¥80,000/$700 easily. Four times the mass of a Metal Build, four times the price...

Price-tag will be painful, no doubt, but if they make it worth it, I'll pay it. But it has to be perfect.

Excellent news for Macross fans: the DX Chogokin VF-19 (that currently goes for double its retail price on the aftermarket) is getting a re-release in its original Macross Plus YF-19 form, complete with Fold Booster and a stack of missiles.

TWegg3Y.jpg

We'll see it; Evangelion is basically a license to print money in Asia

Wow a lot of things to get excited about but I think the announcement of metal build Eva is my number one. I was never able to get any of the high quality Eva figures before and I can't stand revoltech so this is awesome news.

Wow a lot of things to get excited about but I think the announcement of metal build Eva is my number one. I was never able to get any of the high quality Eva figures before and I can't stand revoltech so this is awesome news.

Yep, this is me exactly. The closest thing was the Medicom RAH figures which are now absurdly overpriced for what they are, especially since you risk QC problems with joints and dye bleeding whenever you buy one.

Yea... it's a pretty big deal, the EVAs are. I have the SPEC as well as the Riobot and frankly while both are nice, neither give me that "definitive" feel that I'm looking for.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Crazy to think that we're a month out from Sentinel's Shin Getter and Mospeada dropping and then the onslaught of Bandai stuff like Metal Build Mazinger, PG EXIA etc. etc.. Mecha-wise this is going to be my craziest 1st quarter ever.

Speaking of "definitive", there's some better images of the (presumably) DX Chogokin VF-1J floating around now.

ifrzzcY.jpg

RqQQ7IK.jpg

It's supposedly 1/48 scale, or about 10" tall. Seems to have lost the panel lining, weathering and electronics of the older 1/35 prototype - and, if I'm being honest, a fair bit of the lineart accuracy too. I'll reserve judgement until I see more of it, but unless there's some spectacular new engineering to fill in the torso gaps, etc, this doesn't look like it beats the Yamato/Arcadia V2 toys.

Since it falls under more "mecha" styled designs, is anyone else going in on the Flame Toys Drift? reeeeeeeeeeeeeeally dig what they did with it.

I want it...love this piece..
Current work issues aside.... Iaid off...ouch.
I be picking this up when things settle...

I picked up the Hi Metal R VF-2SS from Macross II: Lovers Again.

bDveIbp.jpg

Box has beautiful new artwork by Masami Obari across the entire front of it, he's certainly lost none of his touch over the years.

UV3cXPj.jpg

Fighter mode is impressively solid given what a cluster**** the design is. It's still a chore to get everything lined up "just so", but unlike the Evolution Toys version, it'll stay that way once you finally get it.

FrXbDcD.jpg

There's a neat little gimmick where the interior of the cockpit rises out of the body of the plane slightly when you open it.

voLPFxd.jpg

Gerwalk is solid, and surprisingly well-articulated.

D3E17Xs.jpg

Battroid mode is a real treat. Some amazing work in the leg and knee joints, the whole thing comes together extremely cleanly with no need for gap fillers or to swap parts beyond the hands. All the plastic parts besides the rifle have a very pleasing matte finish, a vast improvement aesthetically and engineering-wise over the HMR VF-1, which is based on a decade-old mould and really starting to show its age compared to every other figure in this line. There's also a huge amount of metal in this figure, throughout the entire inner structure of the torso, the joints, and the feet.

Sch3bi1.jpg

Comes in a huge box for a relatively small figure because of the SAP parts. These really fill the figure out - it has rock-solid metal hip joints but even they have some trouble with the weight of the backpack. Almost all the missile bays open on integrated hinges, only two doors on the lower leg require parts-swapping.

Great toy, but perfect? Not quite. For one I had to pry some screw covers loose and tighten things up out of the box, one leg was visibly splitting apart. Also, in maybe the most bizarre QC issue I've ever had with a Bandai product, they used the wrong type of screw in part of the chest assembly. Thankfully I was able to pull a donor screw out of the backpack and swap them around with no ill effects. There's also some horrible-looking nub marks in really prominent spots on the SAP parts - really wish Bandai would get that under control. Even after all that, this is remarkably well-engineered toy in a very small package - blows the Evolution Toys effort out of the water (air?) at half the size and a third of the price.

I want it...love this piece..
Current work issues aside.... Iaid off...ouch.
I be picking this up when things settle...

Hell yea. Looking forward to your thoughts on it. They've shown off box pics and everything so I dunno why it's not shipping.

Hell yea. Looking forward to your thoughts on it. They've shown off box pics and everything so I dunno why it's not shipping.

Will do..
And take care of that Comicave Optimus prime..
I already miss it... Glad you liked it.
Shipper box issue aside..lol ;-)

Will do..
And take care of that Comicave Optimus prime..
I already miss it... Glad you liked it.
Shipper box issue aside..lol ;-)

... Kuma takes kare of his stuff. And yea man, I cannot WAIT to free up time to mess with it. Even display-wise it's just incredible.

Going to have to downgrade the HMR VF-2SS Valkyrie to a soft recommend. After a couple of days it's become apparent the figure is riddled with QC issues and speaking to some other mecha collectors suggests it's not just an isolated thing. Some of the screws stripped the thread off the plastic during assembly, and I actually had to take the leg apart to fix the loose panel, which was caused by a split receiver.

xF4zg83.jpg

If you can fix any issues that pop up with it, it's a very attractive toy but at just shy of £100 for a 6" figure - get your **** in order, Bandai.

Back