Mattel Movie Masters Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's tons of the 3 pack batmans at my local TRU. I never bought one and I guess people around here felt the same. $50 for re-released figures is way too much. If they ship out figures that look like that bane I am willing to purchase a 3 pack of villains.

There's tons of the 3 pack batmans at my local TRU. I never bought one and I guess people around here felt the same. $50 for re-released figures is way too much. If they ship out figures that look like that bane I am willing to purchase a 3 pack of villains.

Same at the TRU near me. Ya know it's funny that 3 pack was $41.99 and is now $46.99!! I see now, if it doesn't sell just mark it up more :cuckoo:

just got done repainting Jor El and Armored Zod sculpts. Jor El unfortunately only seems slightly better than the factory paint. Think I'm going to have to go back and repaint him. Something to do with the eyes and mouth. Could be that something was lost from proto to production in the sculpt though. Zod, on the other hand, wow! what a great sculpt hiding under there. I haven't put any finishes on them yet but when I do, I'll take pics and post them. Will repaint Command Key Sups and Shackled Zod when they arrive. Lastly will be resculpt Faora's hair and then a repaint for her.

What the hell! The Horsemen actually made a 2-up of Bane with his vest on! Where the hell is the retail version, Mattel?

https://www.sourcehorsemen.com/?page_id=327&album=13&gallery=30

dsc_0120.jpg

dsc_0124.jpg

Meh. I was able to make my own with the 2 pack version. I wouldn't turn one down, but its not really needed at this point in time.

No pictures yet (sorry :() but I just finished repainting all the movie masters MoS figures and the sculpts are definitely there IMO. Only one who seems to be lacking a bit is Jor El. I did resculpt Faora's hair but I did nothing to her face and she looks sooooo much better. They all do. The best sculpt(s) is Zod. To me, they really got Shannon's likeness, at least as much as you can get on a 6" figure.

They're 6 years too late. Who needs these when there's Kenner, Hot Toys and NECA to choose from.

Also, Mattel's 1989 Batman line, along with other "movie mastersesque" lines aren't going to be 6 inches any more. After the 60s figures they're all going to be down sized to 4 inches. So yeah, no interest in these.

Any explanation as to why they're downsizing the Movie Masters? I was disappointed to learn we won't be getting 6 inch Keaton figures. The last hoorah is for Adam West? I worry this new small scale line will look like the cheap figures we got for Dark Knight Rises. Hope not.

If there is an upside to any of this, besides the figures actually turning out great, it would be the prospect of getting vehicles - Batwing, Batmobile, etc.

So ... who has the inside story?

Any explanation as to why they're downsizing the Movie Masters? I was disappointed to learn we won't be getting 6 inch Keaton figures. The last hoorah is for Adam West? I worry this new small scale line will look like the cheap figures we got for Dark Knight Rises. Hope not.

If there is an upside to any of this, besides the figures actually turning out great, it would be the prospect of getting vehicles - Batwing, Batmobile, etc.

So ... who has the inside story?

Same reason Hasbro have been churning out the cheaper smaller scale Star Wars and Marvel lines that only have 4 to 5 points of articulation.

$$$$$$$$

It's cheaper to produce smaller figures.

Now that Mattel is doing their 4 inch thing, I don't see why NECA shouldn't be allowed to produce 6" to 7" versions of their 1/4 scaled Batman figures. They did it with Robocop and the Endoskeleton, imagine that NECA Keaton Batman down sized to a 6" to 7" figure with all the accessory and version potential. They could put the tool to great use and make a battle damaged version, a couple of Kenner tribute variations, etc.

Fantastic idea! I just fear Mattel only doing Batmen and no Jack Joker or Danny Penguin figures. I don't expect full casts produced from films but certainly 3 to 4 characters from each would be nice.

On the plus side the 4" figures will go perfectly good with the 1:18 Scale Diecast Batmobile's....

Actually, getting a closer look at it, it appears they might have made a scan of the Hot Toys headsculpt. :lol

Hard to say,

mattel-dc-103.jpg

Batman_Michael_Keaton_1989_Hot_Toys_DX-05.jpg

You can see the ball joints in the arm shoulders. I bet the head is ball jointed at the neck too.

I guess a lot of people are mad that they dropped the Movie Masters line and the 6" scale, can't say I blame them. Fans have been asking for a 6" Movie Masters Michael Keaton '89 Batman and Reeve '78 Superman for years and instead of getting them, Mattel produces a 12" Reeve Superman doll and a 4" "Star Wars" size Keaton Batman figure.

I wonder why Mattel makes the choices they make. You have Dark Knight movie masters, Green Lantern Movie Masters, Dark Knight Rises Movie Masters and Man of Steel. People clamor for Keaton and Reeve and they clearly have the license . . . and they don't do that. I don't get it.

Last edited:
Same reason Hasbro have been churning out the cheaper smaller scale Star Wars and Marvel lines that only have 4 to 5 points of articulation.

$$$$$$$$

It's cheaper to produce smaller figures.

Now that Mattel is doing their 4 inch thing, I don't see why NECA shouldn't be allowed to produce 6" to 7" versions of their 1/4 scaled Batman figures. They did it with Robocop and the Endoskeleton, imagine that NECA Keaton Batman down sized to a 6" to 7" figure with all the accessory and version potential. They could put the tool to great use and make a battle damaged version, a couple of Kenner tribute variations, etc.

This is why I completely stopped collecting 4" action figures. They look cheap, use cheap molds, painted cheaply and look very childish. I was all about 6" Move Masters because they were more for adult collectors with better details but if Mattel wants to take an evolutionary step backwards to the 70's and 80's then they won't be getting a dime from me. I'm good with my Kenner Batman The Dark Knight Collection from the 90's.

This is why I completely stopped collecting 4" action figures. They look cheap, use cheap molds, painted cheaply and look very childish. I was all about 6" Move Masters because they were more for adult collectors with better details but if Mattel wants to take an evolutionary step backwards to the 70's and 80's then they won't be getting a dime from me. I'm good with my Kenner Batman The Dark Knight Collection from the 90's.

All the companies are doing this now too.

We've already had Vintage Star Wars, Kenner Star Wars, Vintage Batman, Kenner Batman, that simple, 3 3/4 - 5 inch figure with 4-5 points of articulation. They've been done.

Other than cost reasons, I have no idea why they're going backwards. This style only works for those cool Re-Action Super 7 Alien figures that are a tribute to the cancelled 70s Kenner line.

The irony of this now is how Hasbro is going to focus on their 6" scale figures and dropping the 3 3/4 line that made them so popular while Mattel is embracing the 3 3/4 line and dropping their "Adult Collector" 6" lines (other than the crappy subscriptions they do).

The 4" Batman and Superman figures look HORRIBLE. I agree that the new Star Wars 6" line is more appealling to collectors, I just can't start collecting another scale of Star Wars figures. It's just too expensive at $20/figure. At least the Batman line only has a dozen or so figures to buy but Star Wars literally has hundreds. I can't keep up.

Have they said if the Burton Batman stuff (or just this one figure) will be at stores or will they be part of that ****ty online **** deal. Would hate to have things voted on and pay up front before you actually see the item.

I to would rather have 6in Burton stuff, but I'll take what I can get.

So far out of SDCC two things so far-
1. This Burton figure or figures
2. Hallmark 89mobile next year.

That's it.

Wait, there's going to be a hallmark 1989 Batmobile for next year's Christmas selection?

Back