Mattel ghostbusters conversion (update 12-28-2012 PG1)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Mattel ghostbusters conversion step by step

FYI, Peter Venkman is listed as 'Almost Gone' over at www.mattycollector.com so if you haven't ordered yours yet, you'd better hop to it!

- J

Yup, just got mine in the nick of time :D

For all of those who have been asking here and via PMs, yes I'm still working on these pads. I understand there is alot more attention around them now that we are 3/4s of the way to having the whole team :). Ill keep that whip crackin for you guys. I know Ive said it before but, I really want to get the first few original orders out NLT the end of this month.

I was also thinking, would anyone have interest in DIY sets? Something like unpainted raw cast and elastic for half price of painted sets. If there is any interest in something like this let me know and I can easily change past orders to suit or for future orders.

Once again guys thanks for hanging in there and lets see some of those customs! :whip

Yup, just got mine in the nick of time :D

For all of those who have been asking here and via PMs, yes I'm still working on these pads. I understand there is alot more attention around them now that we are 3/4s of the way to having the whole team :). Ill keep that whip crackin for you guys. I know Ive said it before but, I really want to get the first few original orders out NLT the end of this month.

I was also thinking, would anyone have interest in DIY sets? Something like unpainted raw cast and elastic for half price of painted sets. If there is any interest in something like this let me know and I can easily change past orders to suit or for future orders.

Once again guys thanks for hanging in there and lets see some of those customs! :whip

Cool, no rush. I, like many others I'd assume, are still in the process of gathering all the materials. I still need boots, gloves, new web belts, not to mention spencers sculpts. I feel like a long ways off, yet if I just had the funds, I'd be right there. But I did just buy 4 new flight suits and a couple of narrow shoulder truetypes. Slowly but surely.

Three down, one to go!

gbs02.jpg

gbs01.jpg

NOW Mattel decides to include a set of gloves to tuck into the belt. I wonder if they'll let us order a couple extra sets for Ray & Egon...

NOW Mattel decides to include a set of gloves to tuck into the belt. I wonder if they'll let us order a couple extra sets for Ray & Egon...

Seriously, a set of loose gloves come with Venkman? First I've heard of this but that's great.

Well, the gloves are one chunk of plastic, not individual gloves. They're folded so they can clip onto the belt.

Well, the gloves are one chunk of plastic, not individual gloves. They're folded so they can clip onto the belt.

Still, bonus! I wondered why Peter didn't come with anything extra like goggles or PKE meter.

I'd like to get a set of loose gloves but finding the right type is nearly impossible. So at least having the molded ones add to the effect. Venkman is the single GB I was going to pose sans gloves.

What bodies did you use (with hands)? They look very nice. Are you planning to replace the belts?

Ray & Peter are on narrow true types, Egon is on a regular true type. Peter & Egon have true type hands, Ray is using the gloved hands that came with the Mattel body.

The Mattel gloved hands look just fine with the true types, except they stick out too far at the wrist, giving Ray a monkey-arm effect. I'll eventually go in and dremel the gloves' interiors a bit deeper to get rid of that look.

- J

Is that the Mattel jumpsuit? Did they finally make the legs long enough?

Apparently so, and just in time.

I really think the Mattel jumpsuit works very nicely (once dyed the correct color). I see no reason to replace it.

No need for expensive NL boots either with how Peter wears his suit.

EDIT: Hey. Where did Wor-Gar's last post go?

Well, here's what I've been doing to all three of mine - it's pretty basic:

Replace body with true type

Add Evilface's decal to the figure stand

Replace shoes with newline boots (I know they don't have the side zipper, but IMO the real laces and faux leather make up for it in the looks department)

Spencer's heads, obviously

Paint silver stripe on the radio

Paint the rivets on the belt

Replace the elbow pads with Astro Zombie's

Personally, I actually like the color of the Mattel jumpsuits so I wasn't planning on dying them. I may replace the belt some time in the future, but otherwise, I'm very happy with these final products! Although I may yet pad out Ray & Peter's stomachs slightly so the belt isn't giving them an hourglass shape.

- J

I really like the folded gloves the figure came with. Thats nice set you got going so far!

I got one web belt so far, need two more. I definitely want to add some girth to the bellies on Peter and Ray. It's part of the whole look. They're not superheroes... they look more like janitors, I love that.

They look better in person and I haven't cut the laces yet as I'm not sure I'm finished. But this is how I did the boots:
gb_boots2.jpg

Those are the newline boots but I used magic sculpt to put a raised line for the zipper. Painted it silver and then printed out pictures of zippers on decal paper and applied that over the magic sculpt.

Had to paint the magic sculpt, because silver comes out as white at that size and the decal paper is transparent where white would be. I'm pretty happy with the results but I had to backtrack a few times to figure out the best process. But now I have to do it 3 more times...

I'd be good with some DIY sets. I haven't ordered any pads yet, but I'd be very interested when you're ready to start taking new orders. I'd also still like to have a set of 4 ribbon cables too. Will you still be making those?

Back