Mattel ghostbusters conversion (update 12-28-2012 PG1)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Mattel ghostbusters conversion step by step

They look better in person and I haven't cut the laces yet as I'm not sure I'm finished. But this is how I did the boots:
gb_boots2.jpg

Those are the newline boots but I used magic sculpt to put a raised line for the zipper. Painted it silver and then printed out pictures of zippers on decal paper and applied that over the magic sculpt.

Had to paint the magic sculpt, because silver comes out as white at that size and the decal paper is transparent where white would be. I'm pretty happy with the results but I had to backtrack a few times to figure out the best process. But now I have to do it 3 more times...

Now that's a great bit of customizing.

Damn you, Dave -- I was trying to be happy with the Mattel boots. Now I never will be.

Thanks for the update Astro, I don't mind waiting, since I still need to finish painting the heads! :lol

Awesome mod on the boots Dave!
I might need to try this on mine!
:rock!

They look better in person and I haven't cut the laces yet as I'm not sure I'm finished. But this is how I did the boots:
gb_boots2.jpg

Now that's a great bit of customizing.

Damn you, Dave -- I was trying to be happy with the Mattel boots. Now I never will be.

Those are kick-ass boots Dave. Great idea with adding the zipper to the newline boots. While the NL boots are a bit pricey, they're worth it IMO to make these figures even BETTER! Now I plan on doing the same. Great idea! :duff

WOW. Guess what I'm going to be doing to all 4 sets of boots once Winston arrives? Thanks, Dave! They look great!

- J

Just wanted to say, Astro, that the elbows pads look really sweet! Looking forward to you taking orders again.

Nice work on the boots too Dave, the side zipper definitely completes the look!

Wow dave, those boots are spiffy! I think you just inspired me to do the same to my figure. Do you have any Idea how well the sculpting will hold up to ankle movement?

For those asking about the cables, I may still be offering them, It just depends on how efficiently I can get them out. I may also try to mess around with our vinyl and laser cutter at work and do some mass produced screen accurate belt gizmos. If they work well enough and I can make a bunch at a time maybe I will offer them as kits.

Ill be going over my list of names this weekend to see which orders I can start getting out as well as who has recently placed orders ect ect.

Question: Are the Mattel suits the right color or do they need to be dyed? If yes, what is the correct color and is there a big difference with the Mattel color?

Their true color is a matter of opinion. Personally, I like to believe they were referred to as "the boys in gray" for a reason.

Dayyyy-um! The newline boots w/ the custom "zippers" very cool idea!!

I friggin' slacked off and missed Egon. Dammit. As I plan on Spenser's head, working on customizing a Winston outfit (as Venkman is sold out) into Egon. Astro- whenever you're taking new orders for the elbow pads, kit form even, I'd be up for a set of 4-

Got Ray and Pete, need to catch up with you guys and get them modified!!

Their true color is a matter of opinion. Personally, I like to believe they were referred to as "the boys in gray" for a reason.

I'm going to try a quick dip in some pearl gray RIT dye but the tan + gray might still not be correct. I might have to throw in just a pinch of midnight blue to get that cool gray look.

Is there any issue with the decals when dying the jumpsuits? It should just slide off them without discoloring, right? I don't want to end up with a grey ghost.

Is there any issue with the decals when dying the jumpsuits? It should just slide off them without discoloring, right? I don't want to end up with a grey ghost.

That's a good question...and one that makes me a little worried. I'm not sure but I think someone here dyed the jumpsuit without problem. I've dyed other things with similar decals without any color change. But the white ghost does give cause for concern,

But yeah, if anyone here knows for sure...

My other concern is the heat peeling the decal off. Although that's fixable with some glue. Still...

I would like four pairs of the elbow pads for the four Ghostbusters. I requested them from you a few weeks ago Astro. Thanks again! :D

gb_boots2.jpg

Those are the newline boots but I used magic sculpt to put a raised line for the zipper. Painted it silver and then printed out pictures of zippers on decal paper and applied that over the magic sculpt.

Had to paint the magic sculpt, because silver comes out as white at that size and the decal paper is transparent where white would be. I'm pretty happy with the results but I had to backtrack a few times to figure out the best process. But now I have to do it 3 more times...

:clap
Very nice and innovative.

Back