Mattel ghostbusters conversion (update 12-28-2012 PG1)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Mattel ghostbusters conversion

...aaaaaand some pictures in slightly better light...

dsc00037or.jpg

Awesome work, man! Sweet!

Guys, you gotta check this custom out...
It's simply amazing!!!
From the OSW boards

https://www.onesixthwarriors.com/fo...ntz-containment-unit-happy-halloween-osw.html

For Halloween, I decided to dive into my favorite movie of all time, Ghostbusters.

I bought the Mattel version of Ray Stanz and wasn't terribly happy with it. So I did my own custom figure and built a 1/6 scale containment unit to display with him.

Quick breakdown, lots of custom work:

Head: Resin cast of a Blues Brothers 2000 Aykroyd, resculpted
Jumpsuit: DML, re-dyed, custom zippers added
Fat Suit: Soldier Story
Patches: Custom woven
Proton Pack, Trap, Goggles: Mattel, altered and repainted (the trap cable is black-coated base guitar string. Pack shoulder straps are custom)
Belt: BGT, re-dyed
Belt gizmos: scratch-built
Elbow Pads: scratch-built
Boots: NLM, re-dyed, custom zippers added
Containment unit: scratch-built

ENJOY!

37_raystantz.jpg

37_ray1.jpg

37_ray4.jpg

37_ray5.jpg

37_ray6.jpg

37_ray13.jpg

37_ray7.jpg

37_ray9.jpg

37_ray8.jpg

37_ray12.jpg

Also, the LEDs can be switched from green to red by a switch on the back of the containment unit. It's not apparent in these photos, but the red LED flashes on and off to simulate a "shut down" sequence. The green LEDs are solid.

More awesomeness:

37_ray2.jpg

Thanks a lot folks! I can't rightfully say it's a redo of the Mattel figure since only the equipment and the rubber tube are from that figure. The original figure is still sitting in the box and I have no idea what to do with it now!

Here is a photo I snapped of the back of the containment unit:

32_newray2.jpg

Not very glamorous. There are a few resistors soldered in there, but I am not an electronics genius by any stretch of the word.

I DID do a lot of research, but technically it wasn't for this figure. One of my other hobbies is building replica movie props. I did a ton of research about 7 years ago to do a full GB costume, from the proton pack to the PKE. Here are a few photos of the trap and PKE:

32_newray1.jpg

32_pke.jpg

All the props are screen accurate, using the same electronics parts that were used on the originals (even purchased from the same surplus electronics store that the original parts came from). I went to this place and dug through decades of dirty boxes. Coincidentally the guy who built the original GB trap was Jamie Hyneman, the guy from Mythbusters.

I used the info from that to make my figure more accurate. I was so into the Ghostbusters props for a while that I was part of an online community where we collectively researched this stuff, tracking down the original props and makers, analyzing them, etc. I'm proud to say, that GB trap you see in the photo is the ONLY full metal replica of the Ghostbusters 1 style trap (they differed from the GB2 trap) in existence as far as I know.

I am positive that the work me and my online buddies did was heavily utilized by the Mattel people when they researched their figure. All the info is online now, and we really discovered a lot of those things, like the types of knobs and valves that were used. It's not like Star Wars props where George Lucas has an archive for his licensees to access. The GB stuff is almost entirely in private collections, or places like Planet Hollywood.

The elbow pads were hand sewn so they are not for sale.

I do, on the other hand, have some more of the patches, but they need to be cut out by hand. PM me if you need one.

A couple of people have asked about how I did the boot zipper. I took some craft ribbon from the art store that had a zipper-like silver accent:

32_ribbon.jpg

I then masked off and cut out a strip of the leather on the NLM boots and mounted a small section of the ribbon into the slot and held it in place with high strength foam mounting tape, then added the little metal zipper pull.

32_boot.jpg

HELLYES! That is amazing!!!!!

What sculpt is that? Looks familiar but the paintwork is so good!

All the gear detail, the dyed suit, everything is spot on, even the way the suit wrinkles.

Beautiful craftsmanship -- I now have something to aim for.

Things like this make me want to give up this hobby. :lol Thats just insanely good!

Wow, that custom is out of control...un-freaking-believable.

WOW. Just when I thought I was done, I feel the urge to add zippers to my Busters' boots! Very awesome indeed!

- J

I disagree with you both, the top and bottom eyelids are both there and pronounced, his eyes look heavy and tired, not asian.

Wow...thats some amazing work haha.

For the bands to the pads, I used super glue. make sure to scrape away the paint for the area you wish to glue to though. I will have the pads for sale again once I get everything back in order. While I didnt lose much in the flood, everything in a box had to be sorted out. Its taking a very long time but I hope to have things up and running in the next few weeks.

I made this in PS with a bunch of newspaper mock-ups I have been making and decided to post it if it helps anyone to have another cool 1:6 Ghost Busters prop. :)
enjoy!
-Rick :)

GBUSAToday.jpg

Just an update for the few who have been trying to PM me...

The good ol USMC is sending me into Africa for a little bit so more time that normal has been spent getting ready for that. I will try to get to the PMs I have this weekend and hopefully have some pads out to you folks before I go. Its not for another 3 months but, there is alot of moving parts to leaving.

Anyone got any new figures? I may have some soon of my once again updated Ray, as well as the other 3 guys.

thanks for the update, man. keep us posted. i only need your awesome elbow pads and i have everything i need for a great set of figs :D

Me too lol, I can't believe some of the work you guys have done it's startling. I wish I had an ounce of your talents.

I don't suppose the elbow pads are still available?

I don't suppose the elbow pads are still available?

don't think so, dude. i've tried pm'ing for them a few times but think he might be otherwise engaged for now.

If you look a few posts up....

Just an update for the few who have been trying to PM me...

The good ol USMC is sending me into Africa for a little bit so more time that normal has been spent getting ready for that. I will try to get to the PMs I have this weekend and hopefully have some pads out to you folks before I go. Its not for another 3 months but, there is alot of moving parts to leaving.

Anyone got any new figures? I may have some soon of my once again updated Ray, as well as the other 3 guys.

So I think he might be in Africa and unable to respond or work on these.

Yes yes, my inbox is flooded with PM's about the elbow pads. Don't worry good folks, I hear your calls and I will answer them as soon as I'm back in the states.

ETA is June 10thish. I have had some time to hop on the forms and make minor post and a few transactions but past that my time has been very limited. Ill be back full swing once I'm home!

Back