Mattel ghostbusters conversion (update 12-28-2012 PG1)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Mattel ghostbusters conversion step by step

I know astro_zombie is gone to service, but has anyone else gotten their elbow pads yet?

He said mine shipped over a week ago but still no sign of them. Not sure where he's shipping from.

Let me know when you get yours wor-gar. All of them were sent by early last week so it should be any day now...

Wost case if someone doesn't get theirs let me know. Ill try and track em down and if nothing comes of it, Ill send a new set.

I know astro_zombie is gone to service, but has anyone else gotten their elbow pads yet?

He said mine shipped over a week ago but still no sign of them. Not sure where he's shipping from.

Have not received my paid set as of today either.

Got mine tonight! Thanks, Jon!

ELBOWPADS3.jpg

Yeh I checked with the service I sent them out with. Some went out the 3rd and others went out the 7th and 10th. The place I use is a pack and ship which sometimes has a delay. If people are still waiting they should showing up any day now.

My plate is clean for the next few days so I'm going to use that time to try and knock out this tutorial :)

This is the start of my little "How to". Ill finish up the adding elastic part asap.

The first step is the most obvious one, Clean up any "flash" or extra material that sticks out from the pads. Also fill in any air bubbles with putty. I use mighty putty for this becuase of how fast it sets and how well it sticks. An optional step is to wash them with a bit of dish soap. I did this once before I sent them out but it couldn't hurt to do it again. This will help the paint stick better.
100_4103.jpg

The next step could also be the last if you wish. The pad color in the movie varies from actor to actor. Sometimes they are a very dark gray and other times its lighter. For mine I give them a solid coat of codex gray. courtesy of games workshop
21b22d4.jpg

I like to add a little depth to mine by dry bushing. All you have to do is mix in a little bit of white and dark blue to your gray color. Then get a tiny bit of paint on the end of the your brush. Last, wipe the paint off and very VERY lightly paint the raised ares. You can add as much or as little as you want. I like to use a heavy contrast so the ridges stand out more in light.
296987.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Mattel ghostbusters conversion

Here's my Venkman!
venkman.jpg

I can wait for you to put together come completed pads Astro. :)

GOT mine. theyre great !

Thanks for doin these :)

Ladies & Gentlemen, I am proud to finally present... The Ghostbusters! Complete, finished, and ready to believe YOU!

dsc00036x.jpg

I'll try to post some better pictures after work today! Thanks again to Spenser for the heads, Evilface for the stand logos, and, of course, AstroZombie for the elbow pads!

- MJ

...aaaaaand some pictures in slightly better light...

dsc00037or.jpg

dsc00038qgi.jpg

dsc00039e.jpg

dsc00040k.jpg

dsc00041r.jpg

dsc00042rh.jpg

dsc00043lm.jpg

dsc00044ca.jpg

dsc00045jz.jpg

It turned out the best alternative I could find for gloved hands were the ones which came with the figures in the first place! The pegs were too thick, so I sanded them down... only to find that they stuck out too far, giving the Ghostbusters a case of the dreaded monkey-arm. So I cut the pegs down to the base of the glove and now they fit like a... well... glove. I added some fun-tak to the peg, tho, just to make sure they stayed put.

The gloves in Spengler & Zeddemore's belts were found on eBay for $5 a set. They look a little greenish in the pictures, but under most lighting conditions, they're black.

Everyone got a little padding the the belly area to make them look less like their heads were stuck onto teenage body builders.

As for the elbow pads, I filled the gaps on the sets Astro sent me with Bondo, sanded down the edges, gave 'em two coats of medium gray spray paint, then gave them a wash with a mix of black paint & water. I glued the elastic into place with some Household Goop, followed up with a few shots of Loctite Super Glue along the seams. Then I taped off the elastic where I didn't want paint, and painted the black sections in using Tulip brand black matte fabric paint which I bought at JoAnn's.

I still might make a few slight modifications in the future, but for now I want to start paying a bit more attention to my Back to the Future figures and a couple which I'm putting together from scratch.

- MJ

That's great to see a fully completed set like that. Those are very cool. I especially think Zeddemore looks fantastic.:clap And I just watched the Crow last night.

Thats some great work Microjow. Sorry I haven't been on much but due to a flood in the basement about a month ago I'm still trying to get my "shop" back in order. So you got the hands to fit on a hot toys body?

Awesome job Micro!!!
:clap!!

Sorry to hear about your shop Astro...
Hopefully nothing was damaged...
Quick question, what's the best glue to use to attach the bands to the pads?

Back