Matrix Studio 1/4 Alien Queen

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yeah her head woulda been better looking up a bit more ><

edit: that dudes collection is awesome though :p

I like the body pose. Never cared for the reared up look. Yes, if the head was rocked back, it would look much better. The coloring looks a bit too far on the gray side to me and the egg is a joke.

The paint job is somewhat stylized.Being that it's not an original and a 'replica', no real surprise there.

This will probably cause the prices of the ebay recasts to drop.

I don't want to lean in too heavily on the recast argument but I want to note that the objection to this is likely because it's a casting done in mass by a company and being made commercially available unlicensed, and it probably doesn't help that it's a Chinese company.

A LOT of companies have recasted things. Sideshow has recasted some statues, both with and without permission (Narin's sculpts, an alien warrior kit back in the day, and port's Vader). Chronicle is casting up maquettes from Jurassic park, and not all of them are from originals (for example the Female T-Rex). Coolprops is of course casting up Alien props. However all of these companies were/are licensed.

Additionally A LOT of props are cast from originals unlicensed, and this is pretty widely accepted among the prop community. Castings from 1st gen or even 2nd gen OT Star Wars stuff is pretty highly sought after and nobody really has an issue with it on the RPF or other prop replica sites from what I've seen, and of course these are unlicensed.

What people do really have an issue with in recasting is when someone does an original sculpt (even unlicensed, like portumac's Vader) and someone casts and sells them or if someone casts up work done by a licensed company, for example casting up MR stuff or sideshow recasts. But again when it comes to original film maquettes or props that are generally unavailable people have never really had issues with them being casted up for sale. Basically if they are not being made for sale people tend to not consider it "stealing someone's work" though that market has always been what's called a "grey area" (though it's not really a grey area, it just has a blind eye turned to it due to how small it is and because it's run by fans who will be giving money towards the franchise one way or another in their fandom).

However the big difference with what Matrix is doing is that they are casting up an Maquette and do not have the license (like other companies that have done it in the west) and are making it widely available (as opposed to small runs done by people).

Though even still there are exceptions like CFO. Literally it stands for Cast From Original or the ST guys or RS props who do actually unlicensed casting in pretty large quantities without a license. However this is NOT illegal (at least in the UK) as a court ruled about this and were Lucas lost because they were ruled to be industrial design (in the UK, they won in the US due to no appearance). Though honestly I believe if CFO or RS got taken to court about this today they would probably lose, even with the precedent. Also as I mentioned this is a Chinese company, and China has a history and reputation for completely disregarding IP law unless it benefits them so there tends to be some inherent dislike for them.

As I said I don't want to put my opinion and start anything when posting this, even though you can maybe guess my position based on this, but this is my take on the "recasting" aspect of this as it's not really just a normal recast of a SS statue or something.

Did anyone notice the droopy saber on the Kylo Ren PF? Glad I never got that one, sheesh.

they offered replacements I believe? and yeah that was a serious problem :|

Packaging looks good. Will measure an 48 L X 22 D x 42 H. Weighing in at about 66 pounds.

IMG_1857.JPG

I just recently got a package in that layered foam, worked really well.

The paintjob looks so bad...the Quenn is not grey and purple...its black and blue.

29677178fl.jpg

You can say you don't like the paint job but expecting it to be painted like the studio model is ridiculous since it was painted to match the lighting. It was meant (and achieved) to look completely different on screen.

The Matrix Studios Alien Queen is from Aliens vs Predator, NOT from Aliens.The Queen in Aliens is black in colour, where as the Queen from AVP is grey, and it's head is MUCH longer than the Queen's in Aliens.[Someone should post pics to compare the 2, i'd do it myself but don't know how].

The Matrix Studios Alien Queen is from Aliens vs Predator, NOT from Aliens.The Queen in Aliens is black in colour, where as the Queen from AVP is grey, and it's head is MUCH longer than the Queen's in Aliens.[Someone should post pics to compare the 2, i'd do it myself but don't know how].

It's not the AvP queen. It has Cameron's high heeled feet, not big dinosaur ones, Cameron's shoulders and lacks all the spikes on the crest, among other things.

You can say you don't like the paint job but expecting it to be painted like the studio model is ridiculous since it was painted to match the lighting. It was meant (and achieved) to look completely different on screen.

It was blue/Black on screen,the sideshowbust was blue/black and the neca Queen is also correct painted...so what a queen was purple?:lecture

Back