Masters of the Universe Classics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why is Talon Fighter a production failure?

Because it's not selling. Point Dread was literally redesigned by the Mattel design team. They took the 4H's design and threw it in the garbage, and designed their own. The one produced is smaller, has less detail, the wrong color, etc. The computer console is a joke. The Teela figure turned out to be a complete waste. Most fans have expressed their dislike for the above so it goes far beyond just my opinion. The Talon Fighter is too big and many have had paint app issues, smudges on the windshield, etc.

...a production failure, or in other words, a play set with way too many issues and virtually NO redeeming factors, AND happens to be grossly over priced.

This play set is the prime example of the turning point in the DRASTIC reduction of quality of the MOTUC line.

Ahh the last shipping notice comes today lads. The of an era. Though we still have horses and Snake Mountain to go.

Eight years with no entertainment aside from a recent comic is something to be proud of.

It's pretty amazing. Says something about MOTU fans

I went all in as well. Though less because I want every character and more because I really wanted Despara. Was going to pass on the Animated sub as I only really wanted 3 of the characters but the significant price cut was enough to make me jump in.

So, I just got the Laser figures along with the pathetic excuse of a parts reuse figure, Dare. The lack of quality in these figures is apparent as expected. Laser Skeletor has NO boot cut articulation where needed. The paint apps are sloppy on all three figures. The ankle and knee joints on Laser Skeletor are really loose, which doesn't help with such a top heavy figure. Laser He-Man's eye brows weren't painted well. Dare is just a waste of plastic and money, even the Alcala Sword looks cheesy. Finally learned that each Laser figure requires 3 AG-13 button batteries, why I don't know when a AAA could have sufficed seeing as how HUGE both back packs are. Just poor design all around on MOTUC figures moving forward. So, So, So VERY glad this line is finished, as far as I'm concerned. Very sad that towards the end of the line, the quality AND designs are lackluster all in the name of cost cutting.

Personally I went allin for 2016 aswell. Lets keep the line continuing. There is so much left (especially NA) and I am also hoping for a Collectors Choice II in 2017. the figures are expensive but still alot of fun in my eyes.

I'm all in for 2016 as well, having one figure a month is a much easier commitment.

Because it's not selling. Point Dread was literally redesigned by the Mattel design team. They took the 4H's design and threw it in the garbage, and designed their own. The one produced is smaller, has less detail, the wrong color, etc. The computer console is a joke. The Teela figure turned out to be a complete waste. Most fans have expressed their dislike for the above so it goes far beyond just my opinion. The Talon Fighter is too big and many have had paint app issues, smudges on the windshield, etc.

...a production failure, or in other words, a play set with way too many issues and virtually NO redeeming factors, AND happens to be grossly over priced.

This play set is the prime example of the turning point in the DRASTIC reduction of quality of the MOTUC line.

I guess I cannot disagree with most of that but the issues that bothered me above all was the size and the chicken feet, which were 4HM decisions.

I do not agree with it being a 'drastic' reduction in quality. I think most if not all the 200x stuff was great and Saurod was good. I think things like Flying fist and Terror Claw set may feed the idea of a dip in quality.

I don't have the Laser Light set and Dragster is pretty decent so I think for me the jury is out.

I've always been a believer that in SOME cases, the 4H designs are influenced by Mattel. If Mattel wants something a certain way, they will dictate how the 4H design it. I think the Point Dread/Talon Fighter set suffers from Mattel's influence one way or another. Maybe I'm giving the 4H more credit than they deserve but, I don't think they are stupid enough to have made the choice to make the ship as big as it is, and give it those flat chicken feet. However, Mattel design is in fact stupid enough to make those choices. Perhaps making it bigger justifies it's outrageous price point in their eyes, who knows. It always boils down to more money in their pockets with Mattel. I definitely think it was Mattel who ruined the Point Dread and Teela aspects of the set. As far as to what degree the set suffers, more than 50% of the items in the box suffer from quality issues and poor design choices, I'd say that's pretty drastic.

The laser figures are a toss up because He-Man sculpt and overall execution is done well, while Skeletor's isn't, but I will admit both figures do have issues. Dragstor's armor and color choice is a let down but easily fixed by someone who is skilled with an exacto blade and some ingenuity, such as myself. *pats self on back*

Attachments

• Dragstor improved.jpg
    Dragstor improved.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 129
I've always been a believer that in SOME cases, the 4H designs are influenced by Mattel. If Mattel wants something a certain way, they will dictate how the 4H design it. I think the Point Dread/Talon Fighter set suffers from Mattel's influence one way or another. Maybe I'm giving the 4H more credit than they deserve but, I don't think they are stupid enough to have made the choice to make the ship as big as it is, and give it those flat chicken feet. However, Mattel design is in fact stupid enough to make those choices. Perhaps making it bigger justifies it's outrageous price point in their eyes, who knows. It always boils down to more money in their pockets with Mattel. I definitely think it was Mattel who ruined the Point Dread and Teela aspects of the set. As far as to what degree the set suffers, more than 50% of the items in the box suffer from quality issues and poor design choices, I'd say that's pretty drastic.

The laser figures are a toss up because He-Man sculpt and overall execution is done well, while Skeletor's isn't, but I will admit both figures do have issues. Dragstor's armor and color choice is a let down but easily fixed by someone who is skilled with an exacto blade and some ingenuity, such as myself. *pats self on back*

Is that your custom? Nice work, looks factory. And is it just the photo, or does that armor look about 5-10% too big?

I can tell you the chicken feet and the size was a 4HM decision. They prefer the design of the Talon Fighter as it is seen on the model kits rather than then then toy one.

-image-262256-grande.jpg

Decisions like the fat armor and the lack of vac metal are Mattels.

figures day of sale are now $30 each .....these were advertised to be $27 day of sale and $24 for Subs...Matty lies again

Back