Masters of the Universe Classics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like bunnies... :dunno

images

Sounds good to me, prick or not it must bother the hell out of some of you guys that another nerd (Scott)other than us has the final say.

If he behaved more like a nerdy fan and less like a corporate *********, I'd have no problem.

BRAVO! Love this Eamon :lecture:goodpost:

Everyone loves a bellyrub lol.

All this stuff about Scott at this point is literally splitting hairs.
In the end, do we want this line or not. A year or two from now if the line dies there will be a lot of crying and moaning over it being gone.
That is a fact!

Oh by the way if I was the brand manager there most certainly would be a sh it load of characters named after me, and if I had to deal with some of these retards out there I'd be worse.

You know, I think your comment is completely accurate. However, I also think it illustrates the biggest problem this line has outside of DR. Having a "fanboy" as brand manager is the worst idea... ever. The problem becomes when the interests of the fanboy (even if they believe their interests are indicative of the fandom as a whole) outweigh the interests of the brand. After how poorly the Star Sisters where received, coming back the following year with an even more expensive three pack of even more obscure characters was absolute insanity. A brand manager has to be objective, Scott's objectivity is suspect; as would any other diehard MOTU fan in charge of this brand.

At this point what Scott does or says means nothing. It is all about if a fan wants to "complete" their collection or not. Even this is a bit sketchy because no matter how long a line goes, it never truly is "complete". There is always one or more characters fans are going to bemoan not having. What "completes" a collection is going to become very individualised from here on out, and there really isn't anything Scott, or the MOTU fandom can do about that right now, but hope enough people don't feel their collection is "complete" enough.

A few weeks ago there was no way I was ever going to sub again, I just didn't want to be tied to a subscription anymore, and this year stung me... hard. It was hard looking at May and realizing I spent about$140 after shipping and duty fees on figures I had zero interest in. That is still in my mind as I'm now actually second guessing buying a sub. At this point it is about the figures I want, 2014 has figures I want. That will be the only reason I sub. A lot of people have been driven away from this line for a variety of reasons, I'm still deciding if I'm one of them or not. I still believe 2014 will go through, but its going to get harder to sell a "complete" collection to people with every passing year.

My issue with the sub is that the first two years were stellar, but in the later years, the line has released more and more figures that I dislike. The 2013 sub was a disappointment for me.

2013 Sub:

Ram Man - Great
Jitsu - Great
Lord Dactus - Awesome!
Mantenna - Awesome!
Horde Troopers - Not really into FILMATION but still cool figures
Clamp Champ - Would have bought day of, but no product

Netossa - For the fishes
KHM - The sword was great - figure is yuck
Snake-Face - Good, not great
Karatii - Super lame
Fighting Foe Men Three-Pack - no thanks
NA He-Man - Lame
Icer - If the head didn't have that weird hair, I'd like it, as is, lame
Castaspella - Favorite POP figure so far, but won't be buying
Geldor - Ultra-super lame
Plundor - Lame and really should have been in the FILMATION sub, not this one

$180 worth of figures I like vs $300 of figures I don't, for me the sub doesn't make sense.

Yeah, 2013 was the worst year selection wise for MOTUC. It was the first year stuff I didn't want outweighed the stuff I did want. The biggest asset for the sub is having upfront funds to go really deep into the brand. However, the problem with having upfront funds is that it gives them carte blanche, so to speak, to go as deep into the brand as they want. Every current sub sells the next sub. As 2014 comes up, as awesome as it seems it will be, people have 2013 on their minds and base their purchase off of that. Each year's sub has to be strong enough to convince enough people to carry on with another year. I think Scott went too deep into the line for 2013, and while I don't believe it will kill the 2014 sub, it certainly is stifling it.

Netossa - For the fishes
Karatii - Super lame
NA He-Man - Lame

$180 worth of figures I like vs $300 of figures I don't, for me the sub doesn't make sense.

It's funny, a lot of the ones you hated I really liked... though I generally agree with you. I didn't get a 2013 sub, nor have I regretted that decision for a second (though I will probably get the next one).

The only ones I really didn't like were Karatii, the FFM, NA He-Man, and I'm not really into the King He-Man thing (especially the storyline) so I don't need him either. Fine with the rest, though I won't go out of my way to get the PoP stuff or Plundor (though I will get them when/if I can get a good deal).

Not sure about Geldor - what the heck is his story, again?

You know, I think your comment is completely accurate. However, I also think it illustrates the biggest problem this line has outside of DR. Having a "fanboy" as brand manager is the worst idea... ever. The problem becomes when the interests of the fanboy (even if they believe their interests are indicative of the fandom as a whole) outweigh the interests of the brand. After how poorly the Star Sisters where received, coming back the following year with an even more expensive three pack of even more obscure characters was absolute insanity. A brand manager has to be objective, Scott's objectivity is suspect; as would any other diehard MOTU fan in charge of this brand.

At this point what Scott does or says means nothing. It is all about if a fan wants to "complete" their collection or not. Even this is a bit sketchy because no matter how long a line goes, it never truly is "complete". There is always one or more characters fans are going to bemoan not having. What "completes" a collection is going to become very individualised from here on out, and there really isn't anything Scott, or the MOTU fandom can do about that right now, but hope enough people don't feel their collection is "complete" enough. .

Truth...because for me,after Two-bad and Modulok,I could live without the rest and feel complete with my collection.82-85 are the most important years to me for MOTU,after that is just cake

All this stuff about Scott at this point is literally splitting hairs.
In the end, do we want this line or not. A year or two from now if the line dies there will be a lot of crying and moaning over it being gone.
That is a fact!

Oh by the way if I was the brand manager there most certainly would be a sh it load of characters named after me, and if I had to deal with some of these retards out there I'd be worse.

The only crying and moaning you'll hear from my direction will be my Wallet finally feeling the pressure took off it.

Truth...because for me,after Two-bad and Modulok,I could live without the rest and feel complete with my collection.82-85 are the most important years to me for MOTU,after that is just cake

Kind of how I feel...

Though we did own Ninjor back in the day (I think he was my brother's technically), so I wouldn't mind that one for nostalgia's sake. I think he and Scareglow were the last MOTU figures we ever bought...

My issue with the sub is that the first two years were stellar, but in the later years, the line has released more and more figures that I dislike. The 2013 sub was a disappointment for me.

2013 Sub:

Ram Man - Great
Jitsu - Great
Lord Dactus - Awesome!
Mantenna - Awesome!
Horde Troopers - Not really into FILMATION but still cool figures
Clamp Champ - Would have bought day of, but no product

Netossa - For the fishes
Karatii - Super lame
NA He-Man - Lame

2013 really kinda sucked IMO. Ram Man, Jitsu, Clamp Champ, Icer, and Mantenna are the only ones I really wanted. NA He-Man is pretty good too, but the face is bothersome. Maybe Shokoti and Batros.

But May was the real kicker for me to. $120 for 4 figures I absolutely would never want. And I'm glad now my sub was cancelled, as the end of the year looks horrible. Geldor and Plundor are two definite passes. Nepthu is a joke. The Horde Troopers look like crap. Castaspella I'd only get to complete the main POP lineup.

One thing that was interesting to me was how in the RGD that Scott talked about the 2014, he stressed how there were no 3-packs or 'filler' characters to 'pad the line'. Well, maybe they shouldn't have been in the line in the first place?

Matty and Toy Gu Ru are only trying to figure out how they can squeeze this license for all it's worth and if it means filling it with characters that most don't what, they DO NOT CARE. They've got it for so many years and they're going to get what they can by getting anyone and everyone to subscribe to Subs locking us into those filler characters. You can bet that this line will run to 2016 from what Toy Gu Ru stated from the beginning because all this, "NOT ENOUGH SUBS SELL, WE WANT BE ABLE TO CONTINUE TO MAKE THESE WONDERFUL FIGURES", is nothing but fear tactics and that is all.

Watch the He-Man meter if you want to and worry, but they'll be a 2014 Sub, a 2015, and finally a 2016; you'll see.

For me it was awesome. 2012 was pretty great too and 2014 is shaping up well for me with Modulok and Scorpia already in the line.

2008/2009 - Hordak
2010 - Grizzlor
2011 - Catra, Leech
2012 - Shadow Weaver, Horde Prime, Mosquitor, Rattlor
2013 - Ocatvia, Batros, Mantenna, Horde Troopers

The line just keeps getting better and better for me. Though I'm well aware I am far from a normal customer. I'm also aware that Batros isn't technically Horde but he's Horde in my heart and on my shelf.

Yes and no, at the start, the original roadmap, they had filler and Padding to streach the line out as far as they could. you don't blow your load in onewad at the begenning by putting all your heavy hitter a-listers in, or you burn out fast.

While not everyone wants the B, C, D, and E-listers, some do. so by adding them in, they streatch things out, keep overall costs down through parts re-use, and keep it going as long as possible.

That WAS the original roadmap for the line. This CHANGED after Fighting Foe men. the NEW roadmap is much more focused on finisheing the vintage line, and getting out "KEY" fimlation, PoP and 200x figures. no more concept figures, no more filler.

So we shouldn't see anything like Fighting foe men ( though... i must admit i like them. MOAR HORDE!) or the gemstone triplets again.

THOUGH... I wouldn't object to a skeleton warrior, snake men armybuilder, or skeletor robot threepack.... or all of the above.

The Foe Men just don't really work as Horde to me. Maybe the chick but just because she's in red.

Back