Marwencol

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenobiobi

Super Freak
Reaction score
I wasn't really sure where News threads like these go, there's already 2 tiny threads in the movies and custom section for Marwencol, but it doesn't really seem to fit in either of those sections alone.

I was just linked this on another forum, and figured I'd bring it here. The story and photography was very interesting to me.

It's the story of a man who was beat into a coma, came out of it with no memory of his previous life, started to create an alternate world with WWII figures and Barbies, and had the photography that he took of that world published in Art magazines and put in an Art show.

https://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/07/garden/07marwencol.html?_r=2

https://www.marwencol.com/gallery/

It's a pretty cool read, definitely makes you think.

1302452411237.jpg

1302393180354.jpg

1302469448380.jpg

really surprised how few people in this forum know about it or atleast have acknowledged that they know about it.

So I just saw this movie and was pretty disappointed.

My mom has a brain injury from an accident and she had done some awesome work to get her brain back to a functioning level.

I was hoping that was more or less the story with this guy.

But frankly, he is wayyyy too bizarre to be endearing. I'm pretty sure the guy had some serious mental issues before he suffered the traumatic injury. So IMO the story wasn't so much how he is recovering but that he was always a complete wack job and unfortunately may always be.

Him sleeping with the dolls and telling them he loves them was disturbing.

Its sickening what happened to him, however. I guess my problem with the film along with him being such an odd person is that the film did not focus enough on whether the hobby actually helped his condition. Its obvious that it did, but the least the film could have done was actually interview doctors and therapists, in the way that other documentaries like Super Size Me do.

Last edited:
So I just saw this movie and was pretty disappointed.

My mom has a brain injury from an accident and she had done some awesome work to get her brain back to a functioning level.

I was hoping that was more or less the story with this guy.

But frankly, he is wayyyy too bizarre to be endearing. I'm pretty sure the guy had some serious mental issues before he suffered the traumatic injury. So IMO the story wasn't so much how he is recovering but that he was always a complete wack job and unfortunately may always be.

Him sleeping with the dolls and telling them he loves them was disturbing.

Its sickening what happened to him, however. I guess my problem with the film along with him being such an odd person is that the film did not focus enough on whether the hobby actually helped his condition. Its obvious that it did, but the least the film could have done was actually interview doctors and therapists, in the way that other documentaries like Super Size Me do.

I kind of felt the same just from reading the article. It's almost like his life before was so messed up and he was such a POS that he created an all new life for himself. Albeit equally as ____ed up as before.

Back