Media MARVEL VS CAPCOM 4: INFINITE (yes ... it's confirmed!)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have to say, if I felt the point was innovation, then I would find it hard to be a Mega Man fan! The best games were those that stuck pretty close to the original mold IMO.

12_mvci2017e3screenshotsartwork25.jpg

tumblr_me6whmiP0w1rq4psfo1_500.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the only thing I am hoping for is that we get some Morrigan merchandise from this game

I'll definitely wait and buy the full version of the game in a year or two

Extremely frustrating that Disney/Marvel is SO bitter about the X-Men license that it seems to touch EVERY-DAMN-PIECE of media/merchandise/etc. that Marvel is a part of.

Leaked roster contains NO X-Men characters, not even Wolverine...who has been main-stay of the series since X-Men vs. Street Fighter.

The leaks are not complete

Hell the game is not even complete

Zero wasn't on anyone's list

Deadpool and Wolverine will be in the game one way or another

And you guys are judging a 3 month old beta

---

Comparison with the demo and the latest build

The leaks are not complete

Hell the game is not even complete

Zero wasn't on anyone's list

Deadpool and Wolverine will be in the game one way or another

And you guys are judging a 3 month old beta

---

Comparison with the demo and the latest build

Well, it's likely X-Men characters will be part of an upcoming DLC, but the initial snub is so blatantly obvious and reeks of Marvel's obsessive shunning of the X-Men and Fantastic Four.

OPINION: WHAT DOES MARVEL VS. CAPCOM: INFINITE WANT TO BE?

Share.
After Street Fighter V’s rough launch, Capcom seems to be learning the wrong lessons

BY CHRISTIAN HOLT

At E3, fans got their first hands-on with Capcom’s latest fighting title at E3’s showroom floor. The developers emphasized that the game is far simpler than its predecessors: combos are easier to initiate, the series’ focus on assists is no more, and you’re only selecting two heroes instead of three. The lesson Capcom seems to be projecting is: “fans thought Marvel vs.Capcom 3 was too complex.” Even the title, “Infinite,” suggests that the game is meant to be a clean break from the series’ legacy.

It’s hard not to see the game’s focus on story-mode and simple gameplay as a reaction to what happened with Street Fighter V’s disastrous launch. Last year, SF V alienated a lot of fans by launching without an arcade mode, an insufficient tutorial mode, and a reduced roster. Sales disappointed and the community revolted-- creating a PR nightmare for Capcom.

So Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite is trying to thread a very specific needle: appeal to the esports and veteran scene by providing characters and gameplay they know and love while also trying to open the game up to new players through a renewed focus on accessibility. But from what they’ve shown, it seems that Capcom has taken the wrong lessons from Street Fighter V’s release.

A caveat: the following criticisms are based on what has been seen-- an early demonstration at a trade show. Just because there was a focus on a particular mode during the demo doesn’t mean there aren’t other modes to-be-announced. Likewise, the announced roster is currently limited, but Capcom has released Super and Ultra versions of their series in the past, often including additional characters to satisfy fan demand.

Forget the Story, Give Us a Tutorial
At Sony’s booth at E3, MvC: Infinite emphasized the story mode. The “team-up storyline” felt more like an excuse to introduce the player to various characters and then have them beat up the Ultron/Sigma underlings. While something as ambitious or convoluted as Injustice 2’s story isn’t necessary, the demo’s story felt like a clunky after-school special where the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and the Care Bears help you say no to drugs.

Street Fighter V didn’t fail because of a lack of a story. And while some players can arguably say they care about Shadaloo and whatever plot Bison has this time, MvC doesn’t attract players for its plot. Any game series where Arthur from Ghost ‘N Goblins is teaming up with Chris from Resident Evil to defeat Thanos is, at its core, ridiculous.

Like Smash Brothers, the roster of MvC has always been an effective toy chest for a child who didn’t care about consistency. Instead of an emphasis on story mode, Capcom should have taken E3 to show how the game is going to teach players beyond the basics of punch, kick, and block. What wasn’t present at the E3 demo is a presentation of Infinite’s tutorial that will explain things like specials, how to air juggle, cancels, etc. These higher-level abilities are what is separating new players from veterans. Players can beat the story and arcade mode all they want, but without an introduction to the higher concepts of fighting games, they’ll still get stomped the first time they play a real person online.

What Capcom should have been doing, as AV Club’s Matt Gerardi articulates, is taking a page from Injustice 2 or Guilty Gear Xrd Revelation’s playbook. Guilty Gear, for example, features an exceptionally complex combat system. To address this, rather than neutering the combat, the developers of GG built a robust tutorial and combo challenges to allow new players to master these high combat concepts with character-specific instructions.

Reducing the Roster May Backfire
As the successor to X-Men: Children of the Atom and later Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter, MvC as a series was already a bloated amalgam of universes. But that’s a large part of its appeal: Fans of Street Fighter could expect to find Ryu and Chun-Li but also X-Men like Wolverine and Storm. Notably, the MvC series allowed space for more obscure games like Darkstalkers and Captain Commando to have their moment in the sun.

The problem with such a cast is that if you’re new to a franchise, so many characters to learn can be overwhelming. A smaller roster minimizes the number of move sets players have to memorize, hopefully making the learning curve less steep. Constantly wondering who it is you’re fighting and how to deal with them can be daunting.

But the roster problem cuts both ways. Unlike many other genres, fighting games lack definite protagonists. Tekken’s developers can craft as many beautiful cut scenes involving Jin as they want: to certain players, that series will always be about Marshal Law or Paul Phoenix or another dozen or so series regulars. With fighting games, you get to choose the character that fits your style, and the game becomes their story. Unfortunately, when that character is eliminated from the latest edition of a franchise, a company risks alienating that character’s fan base. See: Soul Calibur V.

Likely under instructions from Marvel, Capcom is focusing purely on heroes who feature prominently in the Marvel Cinematic Universe-- thus no Fox owned-characters like wise-cracking Deadpool or series regular Wolverine. Without the X-Men, MvC not only is shedding the last tethers to the ‘90s fighter genre but also disposing of a core aspect of what made MvC fun. Unfortunately for Capcom, it seems MvC: Infinite is caught in the crossfire between movie executives.

Who is This Game For?
In approaching a more MCU-friendly, simplistic, and plot-driven experience, there is clearly an attempt to attract new players. If the Infinity Stones develop into a truly balanced element of the game’s strategy, then the esports scene will likely also embrace MvC: I. But fans of the franchise have to be at least a little worried about this version.

The frenetic pace of the MvC is gone. No more assists, no more three-person tag-in special moves. The large, diverse cast of obscure and iconic heroes is now reduced to a MCU-approved Infinity War group plus the major players of Capcom. If you were looking for the X-Men, BB Hood, or Hayato, you’ll likely need to look elsewhere.

As Polygon’s David Cabrera points out, what’s even more galling about MvC: I is that Dragon Ball FighterZ seems to be doing what Marvel vs. Capcom used to be known for-- frenetic 3v3 combat, full assists, and over-the-top animation. Marvel vs. Capcom is traditionally a comic book slugfest come to life. That's why Dragon Ball FighterZ looks so great -- it's an over-the-top anime; it gets what it's supposed to be.

Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite doesn’t know what it wants to be.

I HATE this 'Accessibility' BS :cuss Its such a flawed philosophy. In fighting games, shooters, platformers its just wrong. These developers don't even understand the reason people have a desire to play their games. When something is difficult to do, it requires a degree of skill to master. So when someone is able to pull off something challenging (and you understand the work that went in to achieving it) its impressive. And that earns respect. And that compels people to compete. On the contrary, if you're able to achieve the same result with a simple button press its less impressive. People are less compelled to compete and less compelled to buy your ****** game.

I'd rather have developers do the complete opposite. Make a game so hard, only pros can play. Then I'd buy it out of sheer envy like I bought Virtua Fighter :slap

Dragonball Fighterz is everything I wanted (and rightfully expected) MvC:I to be. They will be getting my money.

I HATE this 'Accessibility' BS :cuss Its such a flawed philosophy. In fighting games, shooters, platformers its just wrong. These developers don't even understand the reason people have a desire to play their games. When something is difficult to do, it requires a degree of skill to master. So when someone is able to pull off something challenging (and you understand the work that went in to achieving it) its impressive. And that earns respect. And that compels people to compete. On the contrary, if you're able to achieve the same result with a simple button press its less impressive. People are less compelled to compete and less compelled to buy your ****** game.

I'd rather have developers do the complete opposite. Make a game so hard, only pros can play. Then I'd buy it out of sheer envy like I bought Virtua Fighter :slap

Dragonball Fighterz is everything I wanted (and rightfully expected) MvC:I to be. They will be getting my money.

After reading the IGN article, I canceled my preorder. Making it too accessible is going to push hardcore fighting fans away. In a world where just showing up entitles you to a trophy or medal, I appreciate games like Guilty Gear and Blazblue even more. While I still love Mortal Kombat and they haven't gone the route of MvC, implementing "easy fatalities" is another step in that direction. Hopefully, there'll still be hardcore fighting games being developed and this won't become the new norm.

Back