Marking something as "gift".

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chargersfan57

Super Freak
Reaction score
What are people's opinions on doing this? Is it generally safe? How many of you have done this before?

Thanks for the help freaks!

I haven't heard any problems about people doing this, however, asking a seller to mark your purchase as a gift isn't really the problem.

Many times I haven't even asked for my purchase to be marked as a gift and the seller does it anyway, as a matter of course, marking the price down in the bargain. I especially don't approve of that, particularly as, in my country, doing so has no benefit, tax wise. Marking the price down may have repercussions, if the parcel gets lost and you want reimbursement using any insurance you may have additional paid for.

I never mark things as gifts or at a lower value. If something goes wrong you will only be able to claim whatever value you put on the item (assuming it's insured, which it should be), and not the actual price you sold the item for. As a seller I like to cover my ass at all times. PayPal and eBay won't help you.

So if you don't mark it gift what do you guys put? None of the other options apply.

I never mark things as gifts or at a lower value. If something goes wrong you will only be able to claim whatever value you put on the item (assuming it's insured, which it should be), and not the actual price you sold the item for. As a seller I like to cover my ass at all times. PayPal and eBay won't help you.

Yeah from what I understand if I insured the statue for what it's worth, I wouldn't be able to mark it as a gift anyway because the most a gift can be insured for is around $60. Is that correct?

So if you don't mark it gift what do you guys put? None of the other options apply.

Well the form I have from the USPS has a box for merchandise as well.

This "gift" sounds great for the seller. You don't take the big hit from the paypal fee which sweetens the deal for them and it leaves the buyer in the lurch if the item arrives damaged. All risk appears to be on the buyer from what I can see. Atleast on evilbay you have more protection as the buyer. Now I could be wrong about this all too.

When I lived in Toronto I always asked for this.. anything over 20$ not marked as a gift incurred the duty and handling fees.

It got silly at times. One guy refused because he didnt want to lie.. as he would be applying to work for the FBI and didnt want anything bad on his record.

On another occasion I managed to win a beat up (but still carded with clear bubble) farm boy luke star wars figure for 14 bucks buy it now. The guy got loads of people emailing him after the fact telling him he was getting robbed.. and it was worth 100$. A deal was a deal.. he marked the item as 100$ and I had to pay 30$ in duty..

Ive never heard of it coming back to bite anyone in the butt.

Do you mean marking things as a gift for shipping or for paypal payments?

I make it a point to mark international packages as gifts to save the buyer on import fees. Although lately it seems that is no longer working and they tend to get dinged anyway.

I will not undervalue items when shipping though. As was said earlier if the item is lost or damaged you can only recoup up to the declared value of the item.

I make it a point to mark international packages as gifts to save the buyer on import fees. Although lately it seems that is no longer working and they tend to get dinged anyway.

I used to do the same thing until I found out you are breaking the law in doing that. So I have since stopped and specifically state in all sales threads and Ebay that I refuse to mark packages as "gifts". :lecture

JUST SAY NO!

Unless you're sending money to a friend or family member, or willing to give that money away, no strings attached, don't do it. I don't care how long you've known your "internet friends." You can't get the money back from PayPal and should something go wonky during the transaction, you're at the good graces of the seller to get a refund. Also an interesting FYI. On occasion PayPal charges for you to gift money. So while the seller gets no fees taken out, you might even wind up paying more. Especially if the transaction goes south. Bottom line, it should tell you everything you need to know about someone who's too cheap to pay itty bitty PayPal fees to insure the buyer's security and protection during a transaction. ;)

All the paypal payments that I have made to other members here have been through "gift" even if it has not been requested.

I'm one of those gullible people that believes that people are basically good. ;) And that has served me well both here and in life. :)

Also, if a member here wants to keep a good name they will make good on their end of a transaction. All the people I have done business with here had been members for a while and had a respectable post count. I would not send money as "gift" to a newb that had 15 posts. That's just common sense.

All the paypal payments that I have made to other members here have been through "gift" even if it has not been requested.

I'm one of those gullible people that believes that people are basically good. ;) And that has served me well both here and in life. :)

Also, if a member here wants to keep a good name they will make good on their end of a transaction. All the people I have done business with here had been members for a while and had a respectable post count. I would not send money as "gift" to a newb that had 15 posts. That's just common sense.

Considering there have even been refund issues with mods here, you just never know. :huh

I stand by my original statement. If the seller is too cheap to pony up the minute fraction PayPal charges, to ensure the buyer's personal security in the transaction, that should tell you all you need to know.

Guys, how exactly do you believe marking 'Gift' on an item is going to somehow void your insurance? You buy and pay for insurance so that the item you are sending makes it to the recipient. It doesn't matter if it is a gift or not. You paid good money for the item, you bought insurance on the item when you sent it. Period. The Post Office isn't going to come back to you and say, "Oh, this was a gift..it must be worthless then". No, they are going to pay you for the insurance you purchased. I've sent a few hundred statues overseas and I always mark it as a gift. If it helps my buyers, great, but it doesn't cost me anything as long as the item is insured.

There is no reason why you cannot put "Gift" on an international package. I will say that shipping laws do say it is 'illegal' to say something is a gift when it isn't, but good luck proving that in court.

Changing the value is another matter. I don't change the value unless 1) I know the buyer very well, or 2) The buyer has paid me in a way where I know they cannot get their money back. By lowering the customs value, you lower the amount you can insure the item for.

Last edited:
JUST SAY NO!

Unless you're sending money to a friend or family member, or willing to give that money away, no strings attached, don't do it. I don't care how long you've known your "internet friends." You can't get the money back from PayPal and should something go wonky during the transaction, you're at the good graces of the seller to get a refund. Also an interesting FYI. On occasion PayPal charges for you to gift money. So while the seller gets no fees taken out, you might even wind up paying more. Especially if the transaction goes south. Bottom line, it should tell you everything you need to know about someone who's too cheap to pay itty bitty PayPal fees to insure the buyer's security and protection during a transaction. ;)

I'm actually the seller...so...

As the seller...I have no problem marking the item as a gift. But I insure it for the sale price anyway so it matters little. Ain't no way I am chancing losing the item. Or the money.

I don't like doing it for Paypal. A seller should be able to shoulder the relatively minor cost for the convenience of getting paid so quickly and easily, and if you don't (as the buyer) you're not covered.

In terms of marking the package as a gift, nothing wrong with that. You guys in the US are lucky not to have to deal with customs. I love my country, but I don't love that the government demands a cut when I'm getting GI Joe collectibles of all things. They can go f themselves as far as I'm concerned. I've never heard of anyone getting in trouble for this - it's not worth the time and money for customs officials to look into it, and so what if they did? If it's not obviously from a company (like Sideshow or BBTS) what in the world would they have to go on in order to investigate?

There is no reason why you cannot put "Gift" on an international package. I will say that shipping laws do say it is 'illegal' to say something is a gift when it isn't, but good luck proving that in court.

So it's okay to break a law because others do it? No thanks. I will comply with the federal laws of my country. In the RARE instance that you would get caught it's the seller that would take the blame not the buyer.

As a seller I basically inform people ahead of time that I refuse to mark the item as a gift. If you are too cheap to pay customs please take your business elsewhere.

Back