Marking something as "gift".

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do, have, and will continue to do it to help out people who get taxed 20% on top of what they buy from me. If it helps, it helps. If it doesn't, I'm not out anything.

Internationals are my best customers. ;)

be careful posting that you're not doing what you should. you never know who is reading this thread.

Here is a good article that contains lots of good links about this as well. Happy reading! :duff

Sometimes our civic duties are tested, however. What should you do when a foreign bidder asks you to mark a winning bid item as a "GIFT?" 'Tis the season to give gifts is it not? Perhaps you could try to rationalize the idea of gift-giving by including an actual small "gift" with your shipment?

I hate to be the Grinch Who Stole Christmas, but as innocuous as it may sound, the bidder has just asked you to forge shipping papers and dodge their country's law and our Federal law.

Any person who knowingly submits false or misleading export information through the Shippers Export Declaration (SED) (or any successor document) shall be subject to a fine not to exceed $10,000 per violation or imprisonment for not more than 5 years, or both. Source: U.S. Code: Title 13 : Section 305 https://digbig.com/4fqcw.

The sender's failure to complete the form properly can delay delivery of the item or inconvenience the sender and addressee. Moreover, a false, misleading, or incomplete declaration can result in the seizure or return of the item and/or in criminal or civil penalties. Source: https://pe.usps.gov/text/Imm/immc1_002.html.

Recently a Canadian bidder asked me to mark an item sold for less than $10 U.S. as a gift. I informed the bidder that I would mark the item as "Other" (Non-Gift), and because the item was sold for less than $20 Canadian, (approximately $17.25 U.S.) it was not subject to all tariffs and duties. (Goods imported into Canada, valued at $20CDN or more, are subject to all duties and taxes. Source: https://www.canadapost.ca/tools/pg/manual/b06-e.asp.)

An auction is usually considered a binding contract, however, it is possible that a bidder's request to commit fraud would alter the transaction thus making the auction void and non-binding https://digbig.com/4fqfn.

Bidders might also try to avoid duties by asking you to alter (forge) the valuation of the auction item that they won. However, the amount declared as "Value" seems to be more of an art than that of science. Should you mark down an appraised value? The actual value sold? The average value sold on eBay for the past 90 days?

There are different understandings of the interpretation of "value" as understood by Article VII GATT and the Brussels Definition of value. More information is available at the following URL, which is appropriately entitled, "Non Tariff-barriers: red tape, etc. (https://digbig.com/4fqfp), which includes the "Six Methods of Evaluation." In the past, for items worth less than $2,500, I have marked the item as the final bid price and provided a printout of the eBay auction containing the price to include with the shipment (the "evidence of sale"). Note that you should not confuse the declared "Value" with the Value used for insurance purposes as they are not necessarily one in the same (and declaring the "Value" on customs form is not a form of insurance).

both myself and another person i know have been charged 'duty' on items valued at over $200. me by fedex and him by ups. wouldn't say it if it wasn't true. maybe on those occasions, the shipper didn't pay the extra tax or fee and it was required to be received before delivery, therefore it was imposed on the receiver of the package. :nana: btw, neither originated from asia. just because you never experienced it, doesn't mean that it's not accurate artard. just wanted to say as board agitator, you're doing a helluva job.

https://www.itintl.com/how-much-does-it-cost-to-import.html

so you haven't been paying your import taxes?

You just learn something in Government class and think it makes you an expert? :lol

Fees tacked on to products being sold to the United States are usually tacked on by the sellers and included in the price, unless it's manufacturing imports and trades of raw materials, etc., which are more directly referenced by the "tariffs" remark you made. What you're talking about has nothing to do with that. You're talking about shipping companies tacking on international handling fees. And no, I've never had them do this. The only way I can see something along the lines of what you're saying happen is if the sender ships it COD, or only pays domestic shipping expecting you to pick up the additional charges once it leaves the country of origin's border.

You just learn something in Government class and think it makes you an expert? :lol

Fees tacked on to products being sold to the United States are usually tacked on by the sellers and included in the price, unless it's manufacturing imports and trades of raw materials, etc., which are more directly referenced by the "tariffs" remark you made. What you're talking about has nothing to do with that. You're talking about shipping companies tacking on international handling fees. And no, I've never had them do this. The only way I can see something along the lines of what you're saying happen is if the sender ships it COD, or only pays domestic shipping expecting you to pick up the additional charges once it leaves the country of origin's border.

i graduated in 1981. adjust your diapers youngster. again as i mentioned, the tariff must not have been included in the shipping price and that's why the shipper collected it on the receiver's end. i guess your answer wasn't the definitive all knowing one you claim to have posted.

i graduated in 1981. adjust your diapers youngster. again as i mentioned, the tariff must not have been included in the shipping price and that's why the shipper collected it on the receiver's end. i guess your answer wasn't the definitive all knowing one you claim to have posted.

Doubtful. You didn't graduate the year you were born. You got taken, and you still need to look up what tariffs are. End of story. :huh

Doubtful. You didn't graduate the year you were born. You got taken, and you still need to look up what tariffs are. End of story. :huh

Just whatever you do nam, start marking everyting as "gifts". Also it would probably be wise to steal the merchandise you plan on shipping as well. :lecture

I always ask my sellers to declare a lower value because of customs,with overseas shipping that's just a risk you have to take and with years in thios hobby,my items have arrived damaged only 2 times.

Just whatever you do nam, start marking everyting as "gifts". Also it would probably be wise to steal the merchandise you plan on shipping as well. :lecture

:lecture:monkey1:lecture:monkey1:lecture

Yup! So when it winds up arriving damaged, and I say, "tough ____, you wanted it marked gift!" the buyer can troll through every collectibles forum calling me a thief and a liar! With all the tittybaby ranting threads in the Dealer's section slandering/libeling retailers for this exact thing, you think these ____tards would grab a clue. :huh

I always ask my sellers to declare a lower value because of customs,with overseas shipping that's just a risk you have to take and with years in thios hobby,my items have arrived damaged only 2 times.

it's a risk YOU have to take. not me.

:lecture:monkey1:lecture:monkey1:lecture

Yup! So when it winds up arriving damaged, and I say, "tough ____, you wanted it marked gift!" the buyer can troll through every collectibles forum calling me a thief and a liar! With all the tittybaby ranting threads in the Dealer's section slandering/libeling retailers for this exact thing, you think these ____tards would grab a clue. :huh

Exactly! :clap

What... seriously? :huh

mate.jpg

Back