Man of Steel (SPOILERS)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Man of Steel

Couldn't last more than 3 minutes watching that fool. :yuck

most people Hated Watchmen. At least casual movie goers.

Some people didn't like how "gory" and "Boring" and "slow" it was.
People were expecting something like Avengers :dunno

Same with HULK, they just wanted to see him smash stuff fo 90 mins but got a proper story movie instead

Oh Watchmen is one of my all time favorite movies. I love it, I love every single thing about it. I love every actor in it (Except Matthew Goode)
I love the extended edition.
One of the best movies ever made for sure. I can watch it and never get tired. I think it is also one of the best (if not the best) comic book movie adaptations to date.

But I can see how someone expecting Avengers or a Justice League type of movie didn't like it.

As for the changes, I loved the ending of the movie more than the comic. I thought the way they change the ending was brilliant (it felt better for me, made more sense. The movie ending was great)

:goodpost: :exactly:

Watchmen is one of my top 5 and despite it's dark and slow storytelling i have watched it loads of times. Got alot of replay value to me.

Well, as a movie fan, there's not part of me that just watches all films for the sake of entertainment. It's a hobby for me. I don't go in there and critique it in a blow by blow fashion during the film. I think about it, and everything that I liked and didn't come up during that period.

I take the film in. And then I study the after taste.
I Wanted to ask but I didn't want you to think I was attacking your opinion here,
but how is Man of Steel different from Transformers movies? at first I thought you would like Man of Steel for the action sequences and stuff :dunno

1012789_482456331830079_409625982_n.jpg

:lol:lol:lol:lol

When I see a Transformers movie, I expect it to be bad. I expect it to lack in anything that makes a film good. But it will deliver the action.

Man of Steel, I expected something good. I expected everything that makes a good film, PLUS the action. I didn't get that.

It's a tired argument, but you don't go into Fast Six expecting some great film. You expect action and ****. But for something like this, that they hyped on the idea of a dramatic character piece...eh. Didn't work/

When I see a Transformers movie, I expect it to be bad. I expect it to lack in anything that makes a film good. But it will deliver the action.

Man of Steel, I expected something good. I expected everything that makes a good film, PLUS the action. I didn't get that.

It's a tired argument, but you don't go into Fast Six expecting some great film. You expect action and ****. But for something like this, that they hyped on the idea of a dramatic character piece...eh. Didn't work/

yeah I get you.

I agree completely. Tried to a little too hard to do too much, hence the editing that left little time for the after effects of it all. But more importantly for me it left me a little numb and indifferent. Superman was always a fun character for me, but this version was not fun at all. Goyer and Snyder made the film too negative with all that destruction and death. I know the argument is he's new and just starting out, but what can a person, even someone like Superman learn from an experience like this. The essence of drama, as I was taught in school, is you introduce the hero, put him in a bad situation and see how he gets out of it. At the end of Man of Steel however, he never gets out of the bad situation.

I agree completely. Tried to a little too hard to do too much, hence the editing that left little time for the after effects of it all. But more importantly for me it left me a little numb and indifferent. Superman was always a fun character for me, but this version was not fun at all. Goyer and Snyder made the film too negative with all that destruction and death. I know the argument is he's new and just starting out, but what can a person, even someone like Superman learn from an experience like this. The essence of drama, as I was taught in school, is you introduce the hero, put him in a bad situation and see how he gets out of it. At the end of Man of Steel however, he never gets out of the bad situation.

Pretty much. He's just dug himself into a hole, which no one really addresses. But hopefully someone is smart enough to, if there's a sequel.

Oh there will be a sequel. Which I am glad to see because I really like the character of Superman and would like go see he restored to the hero that I know.

Don't have confidence that will happen. I just see bigger effects and more action. It's what is being praised from this movie, the ACTION. And if Goyer is still writing the script, it's not gonna go that way.

Don't have confidence that will happen. I just see bigger effects and more action. It's what is being praised from this movie, the ACTION. And if Goyer is still writing the script, it's not gonna go that way.

This is what I don't get, isn't this the same team that worked on Nolan's batman? I liked how Batman Begins ended, so why couldn't they do the same with Superman?

I thought Shannon was pretty terrible as Zod but Superman, Lois, and the bad superchick were great. Loved all the nods to Superman II. Can't wait to own it on blu-ray.

Wow, I had the exact opposite feeling: Shannon was great - an actually psychologically threatening villain - and that chick playing Lois was completely wooden, there was no chemistry whatsoever between her and Cavill.

I really do not think Lois should even have been IN this film, since Kent was not at the Daily Planet, or she should have had a very reduced role. Her wandering around the ancient ship was just so "what is she doing here? This feels so FORCED" and then when Faora said that Zod wanted her on board the ship with Superman, my thought was "Why on earth would Zod care anything about her? How does he even know who she is? Why would he command her presence? Whut? Do not get." Very Mary-Sue-ish, in the fan-fiction sense. Let's insert a random female into all this action that has nothing really to do with her, great idea!

She should have maybe been seen as a reporter curious about all this, then at the end Kent gets a job at the Daily Planet, then NEXT movie they get to know each other as they work together. But now Lois knows his secret already.... and a lot of the tension between them is vaporized. Kent struggling to hide his secret from her is a huge part of the overall mythos... or so I thought.

This is what I don't get, isn't this the same team that worked on Nolan's batman? I liked how Batman Begins ended, so why couldn't they do the same with Superman?

Probably because Nolan refused to have Batman kill someone with his bare hands, just like he was against Superman doing.

Goyer wrote the story for the Batman trilogy, only writing the script for Begins, but Nolan's brother was in charge of the screen play for both TDK and TDKR.

No you're right they killed a major plot thread in my estimation. Now they are going to be sneaking away, and we're going to get these sly looks between the pair. It's going to be like The Lois and Clark tv show after they got married, and that's when it became boring.

Have you guys seen this fan-made little cartoon? Its hilarious. Superman is not in the least afraid of a supervillain showing up, but he's plenty afraid of Lois! LOL.... very cute.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSIlr2-mw-w[/ame]

Now we're not going to see any of this onscreen, even played for serious, and it makes me a little sad.

Probably because Nolan refused to have Batman kill someone with his bare hands, just like he was against Superman doing.

Goyer wrote the story for the Batman trilogy, only writing the script for Begins, but Nolan's brother was in charge of the screen play for both TDK and TDKR.

Nolan's Batman did kill Ras. By not saving him, he murdered him. No real way around that one. And all the cop cars he pancaked or caused to crash had people in them. I find it hard to believe he didn't kill anyone. I love TDK trilogy, but it isn't the flawless example of respecting the character people treat it as. Nolan took liberties to fit the story he wanted to tell. Much like all comic writers do.

Kal killing Zod isn't that bad. He has done it in the comics. Even if it was Zod, Ursa, and Non from another universe, he killed them. Zod with his bare hands. So Big Blue has killed before. It's not unprecedented. Hell, Grant Morrison had Batman mentally torment Joe Chill, then hand him a gun in order to kill himself(I hate the story because i hate the character of Joe Chill). But technically Batman killed Chill in that story. Even DC plays fast and loose with the rules when it suits them.

:goodpost: That's precisely my position on last years big team movie.

Like I said, and this is only assumption, Krypton's a harsh planet, Kryptonian organisms had to adapt to harvest the the little resources the planet had to offer, when you introduce them to a richer environment that's what it could happen, it's only a superficial theory, your's also is, because it's not explained in the movie, I'm not agreeing nor disagreeing with you.

Fair enough, However, For most people, I'd say that in a fantasy/sci-fi setting radiation generaly = Mutation. but more on that in a moment. As it relates to this.

And I'm the one who can't speak English....

Btw, did you miss the part where they tell Supes that the atmosphere inside the Kryptonian ship was the same as in Krypton?

Hence making him as vulnerable as a human (like a kryptonian in krypton)?

Which is a FAscinating point. Which means that, if the environment is adjusted to that of Krypton, we are seeing the same results as if he were exposed to the Radiation from a piece of Kryptonite.

factualy, EVERYTHING has radiation to a certian degree. Different types of radiation yield different results.

In a sense I guess both our theories are incomplete without the other.

I can undoubtably agree the gravatational difference is the cause for his super strength, and mosnter jumps. That makes logical sense.
Though, I'd say the radiation affecting his cells is the cause for the flight, x-ray vision, heat vison etc powers.

While that may not EXACTLY be Mutation, I Can't really find a better word for it.

This, I think sums up the past few pages pretty well.

extrapolate.jpg

And yet... he looks WEIRD as hell without them to me.
The costumes NEEDS SOMETHING to break up the unform blue color of it all somewhere in the middle. That's Character design 101 ( A Literal college class I've taken), and that costume design is complete fail without it. It just sorta fades.

Even Nolan's Batman had a Gold belt in the middle of the costume to serve this purpose

Ditching the Tighty-reds, but keeping the bright Yellow Belt would have worked. The New 52 Comic book look took this approach, though they pallette swapped the belt to red.

2978684-new-52-justice-league-superman.png

Yes, he KINDA has the belt.... but it's not very obvious, and it completely fails to break up the " long underwear" look of the costume.

Watchmen is one of my top 5 and despite it's dark and slow storytelling i have watched it loads of times. Got alot of replay value to me.

And it has the most Awkwardly hillarious sex scene in cinema history.
Also having been written by Solid snake helps too.
Watchmen FTW.

Back