Man of Steel (SPOILERS)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Man of Steel

Uh. No. I was very excited for this. I'm a huge Zack Snyder fan. I think the guy is great.

But this movie did not work for me because they flew past the character development, and or didn't give enough. Superman was dull. Didn't do much. No charisma. It was way too ****ing serious for what it is. I'm sorry, but i'm done with the dour and depressing **** for now. Sick of it. I thought the final action scene was over bloated and too long. I thought Superman wasn't heroic enough for my tastes and I just wanted the movie to be over.

So it's not as cut and dry as you want it to be.

:goodpost:

That's a fair opinion sir. I personally would hate to go into any movie and over critique every little thing. I would rarely enjoy
movies if I did that. I take them from what they are, pure entertainment. Some movies can't even do that but MOS for me excelled at it.

Nope. Just the way I felt. It's not like I was using a stopwatch to see how much action there was. I just found myself getting bored during the action scenes.

14:53

Alex Jones has X-ray vision/is Superman. :rolleyes2

I really don't get the argument that it lacked heart and soul, the Pa Kent scenes alone did that.
______

@Lerath he's got that gold button thing and it's surrounding design to break up the all blue a little

Last edited:

I really don't get the argument that it lacked heart and soul, the Pa Kent scenes alone did that.
______

@Lerath he's got that gold button thing and it's surrounding design to break up the all blue a little

I get that's what it's intended to do, but it's colors are SO muted, that it fades into the blue. It fails utterly at it's intended purpose.

IF it were either larger, More connected with the " yellow straps" on his hips, or a brighter color, it would work. But as it is, it simply dosn't work.

The suit design works fine in the movie.

The Pa Kent scene has the appearance of heart and soul. But without the heart and soul.
What does that even mean? It's purely subjective. Those scenes have plenty of heart and emotion for many of us. Results and opinions will vary.

You're starting to sound like an AICN Talkbacker, dude. :lol This whole thread started to make that turn a few pages back. DBOK is the relentlessly negative troll and you're playing the part of pretentious film enthusiast (though one that comes with baggage of liking Michael Bay movies ;) ).

Last edited:

The Pa Kent scene has the appearance of heart and soul. But without the heart and soul.

i thought the Pa Kent scene was great. I felt bad for Clark, but as a new father, I fully understood Pa Kent's position. It was a beautifully sad moment. Understated, and not drawn out for drama. Pa kent sacrificed his own life in order to protect his son's secrets. Any parent would do the same.

i love the new suit. i don't miss the undies at all. And the color palette of the whole film is muted, but it works. I love the look of the blue of his outfit against the red/maroon of the cape.

I'm not sure what scene Nova was talking about. I liked the one that was in the trailer. The "You are my son". But not so much any other scene with him. But it wasn't bad. Just didn't feel really anything,.

Yes and no.

GRANTED, I agree I'm picking nits.

That said, it only works in the movie becuase of how Little you see the WHOLE suit in a single shot. MOST of the time, you see Superman from the hips up, or part of him is obscured by the cape. or he's flying, so you dont see his legs, or he's hunched forward, so his shadows serve to break up the suit design.

I GET what your costume designers were trying to go for, but it dosn't work. It comes across looking like this
img_1510.jpg

And while on a little kid, it's cute. On a movie super-hero, it's pretty lame. and much like the Black leather X-men uniforms, will be forgotten eventualy, as that's the essence of the suit.
Kinda forgettable.

It has to do with how the human mind visualizes, and remembers things. Memory tends to fade slowly with time. As such, muted colors tend to fade even moreso. A big BLue blob ( which is what this suit looks like) will slowly loose definition, and cease to be interesting. This might also account for WHY some people find the film "boring" at some parts.
The film has a muted tone when it comes to colors ( Trip to brown-town) and so does Superman's costume. This causes him to fade into the background, and be slightly less eye-catching.

I'm telling you man, Make his "psudo-belt" a brighter yellow, and it will make all the difference as far as the design goes.

Not really. Not when all anyone is doing is tossing the same differing opinions across the fence at each other.

But then, that's how these threads always go here, I guess.

Yes really. But the problem is people keep bringing up the same old thing but with a new coat of paint.

"Oh this movie totally has this and this, it's great! Who can dislike this movie!"

Ughh...well, here we go.

For me the bulk of the emotion came from Jonathan Kent, Jor El, Lara and Zod. Superman fell kinda flat for his part but the filmmaking stuff (emotion, drama, tension ect...) were included in this movie :dunno

Kal/Clark's emotional and mental state in this entire film is one of confusion. I think that's pretty obvious and comes across quite clearly and explicitly. So it's hard for anyone to directly relate to that, unless they happen to be in similar states of confusion and longing in their own life.

The emotional aspects in the movie come from the fundamental ideals espoused by other characters, particularly the two fathers. And, interestingly, the two are somewhat at odds but at the same time very compatible. One is an idealist and the other a pragmatist. There should be something there for pretty much anyone to relate to, particularly if you're a parent.

Kal/Clark's emotional and mental state in this entire film is one of confusion. I think that's pretty obvious and comes across quite clearly and explicitly. So it's hard for anyone to directly relate to that, unless they happen to be in similar states of confusion and longing in their own life.

The emotional aspects in the movie come from the fundamental ideals espoused by other characters, particularly the two fathers. And, interestingly, the two are somewhat at odds but at the same time very compatible. One is an idealist and the other a pragmatist. There should be something there for pretty much anyone to relate to, particularly if you're a parent.

:exactly: This is why I liked the moment with the priest so much. He is told that no matter what decision he makes(continue hiding or turn himself in) he will be taking a leap of faith, but if he wants mankind to trust him, he is going to have to trust them too. Clark was very human in this film. He's shown to be as lost as any of us. it's the same thing JMS did in Superman Earth One.

I'm not a parent. Gotta get that one out of the way real quick. . :lol

But it's not that I can't relate. It's just the characters just didn't engage me. Which is why i'm more interested in the directors cut then anything else.

If he's going to add 30 minutes of good stuff, that is.

Back