Man of Steel (SPOILERS)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: The Man of Steel

Will the JW SM music have to be played in every single SM movie ever made, sheesh.

Following that mentality, JW would've never been asked to create a new soundtrack back in 77/78, he would've just used an existing soundtrack.

Thankfully he was asked to create something new.

If one wants JW Superman music, then watch S1/S2/SR.

Lets give something new a try, it could very well be another masterpiece.

Ahh Krista... holding up pretty well after all these years. I will always cherish her amazing film contributions. Both of them!

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ku69cBwyeF4[/ame]

So I wonder if, given recent events, how well-recieved would Pa Kent's sage know-nothing "maybe" response to Clark's question about saving the schoolchildren? Whatever. Give us flashbacks inbetween Zod *****-slaps or something. Costner has unfortunately morphed into the acting version of Ambien for me.

I figured it out...he has a lisp in his younger days..HA HA! The ffworlds to big mom!..LMFAO! Daffy duck is his real father..not Jorel. Jor-El was on Muary he was told "when it comes to Ka-El.....Jor-El u r not the father!"..and daffy came out..and was like "whaut whaut whaut..LMFAO

ajy8y4am.jpg

Baby Clark lands on earth. Thufferin thuckitash!!
puqe5eby.jpg

See. It is true!

Will the JW SM music have to be played in every single SM movie ever made, sheesh.

Following that mentality, JW would've never been asked to create a new soundtrack back in 77/78, he would've just used an existing soundtrack.

Thankfully he was asked to create something new.

If one wants JW Superman music, then watch S1/S2/SR.

Lets give something new a try, it could very well be another masterpiece.

Should we get a new Star Wars theme for the next trilogy? Should we abandon the Raider's theme for a new Indy film? Does Monty Norman's theme have to be used with every Bond movie? Well wait - it wasn't. How was that score to Never Say Never Again?

Keeping a theme doesn't mean giving up on new music. Certainly we have seen the SW library grow with each installment, yet familiar themes were retained throughout. Last Crusade was largely an original score,but it still gave us the classic titles for the outtro. Star Trek has tinkered with its scores a great deal, but it has wisely stuck with its signature fanfare in most of its installments.

No matter who is behind the camera, this is still the same character, the same franchise, even if it is a reboot. The Superman theme is a rare piece that is both a magnificent piece in and of itself, and also perfectly captures the character on screen. No one is suggesting the theme be used for every superhero film, nor is anyone suggesting that every superhero film stick with its original theme. But I cannot think of a single superhero theme that is a patch on the Superman theme (and that includes the various Batman themes, which are good but not in the same class as JW Superman). And sure if Snyder wants to experiment, give it a shot, but I would have still kept the original theme as an option in case the new material didn't measure up.

Should we get a new Star Wars theme for the next trilogy? Should we abandon the Raider's theme for a new Indy film? Does Monty Norman's theme have to be used with every Bond movie? Well wait - it wasn't. How was that score to Never Say Never Again?

Keeping a theme doesn't mean giving up on new music. Certainly we have seen the SW library grow with each installment, yet familiar themes were retained throughout. Last Crusade was largely an original score,but it still gave us the classic titles for the outtro. Star Trek has tinkered with its scores a great deal, but it has wisely stuck with its signature fanfare in most of its installments.

No matter who is behind the camera, this is still the same character, the same franchise, even if it is a reboot. The Superman theme is a rare piece that is both a magnificent piece in and of itself, and also perfectly captures the character on screen. No one is suggesting the theme be used for every superhero film, nor is anyone suggesting that every superhero film stick with its original theme. But I cannot think of a single superhero theme that is a patch on the Superman theme (and that includes the various Batman themes, which are good but not in the same class as JW Superman). And sure if Snyder wants to experiment, give it a shot, but I would have still kept the original theme as an option in case the new material didn't measure up.

:goodpost::lecture:lecture:exactly:

The SW theme is a character unto itself, it's part of the SW identity.

Evolving the score to suit each film - of course, that's a given.

Changing the theme? It's like changing Vader's costume, or the colour of his lightsaber blade from red to pink.

You don't change a phenomenal pop culture monolith, like that music. :lol

Should we get a new Star Wars theme for the next trilogy? Should we abandon the Raider's or a new Indy film? Does Monty Norman's theme have to be used with every Bond movie? Well wait - it wasn't. How was that score to Never Say Never Again?

Unlike Indiana Jones and Star Wars, Superman existed for roughly 40 years before Richard Donner's take. Also unlike those films, this is a reboot and not a new film in the same series. I don't think you can compare this. This film should stand on its own.

You do realize that was a rights issue, right?

Many of the elements of the Eon-produced Bond films were not present in Never Say Never Again for legal reasons. These included the gun barrel sequence, where a screen full of 007 symbols appeared instead, and similarly there was no "James Bond Theme" to use, although no effort was made to supplement another tune. Never Say Never Again did not use a pre-credits sequence, which was filmed but not used; instead the film opens with the credits run over the top of the opening sequence of Bond on a training mission.

Never Say Never isn't an official Bond film. Don't know why someone would even count it.

As if keeping the same score for Superman 4, Moonraker, Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, Attack of the Clones, Terminator 3, Conan the Destroyer, Star Trek V, Alien vs Predator, Jaws 3D, Friday the 13th Jason in Space, made a difference. :lol

AvP had a score that was nothing like original films. In any way.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEq0igEmMQ0[/ame]

I kinda like it as it's own thing....but an Alien and or Predator score?

I agree with these

" I don't buy into Snyders statement that the Williams theme is too heavily linked with the Christopher Reeve films. It's not. The classic Williams theme is as iconic as the character himself and even though the character is comic book first and foremost, that theme is every bit as much a part of him as the red and blue, the S, Lois Lane, Kypton and Daily Planet. The theme has transcended the Reeve films, it's part of the character and Snyder is wrong to not use it."

"The simple truth is, that score will represent Superman for as long as there is a Superman. And it should."

And what was all this fuss over font? When you can CLEARLY tell it's just him mom talking to him through the door helping him out while he can hear everyone on the planet talking all at once.

Last edited:

I don't know about this one. I have read all the points and they seem valid.

The Williams theme is immense in its own stature, brilliant in fact. For people to say that it belongs in any forthcoming SUPERMAN film, well, I can understand that entirely.

But I also see the logic in the 'clean break' approach and as much as I would like to hear the JW theme one more time...I think that this new film should not use it as the main theme. Maybe as hints within the incidental music perhaps, but as the main opener, no.

No, if this is really going to take SUPERMAN in a new direction and be the start of a new franchise...it should have a new theme.

Sadly for SUPERMAN fans and even with the JW theme, SR was spoilt by Bryan Singer being a bit too close (and fond) of his source material. A bit like Warren Beatty and his 'RICHARD' TRACEY movie, he was just too close to it to see that it was not great. So this needs to be different. Even if (and I only say 'even') this is a total disaster...it will have the credit to it for trying something different.

I am even starting to get used to the new costume, though despite the underoos going it does still need a decent and impressive golden (without being bling) belt to break the neck-to-knee sea of blue.

Last edited:

Star Wars, Raiders, etc. were the same series of films. Same actors, directors, producers, composer, etc., but what's most important is that the style was consistent (with the separate elements all working toward that end).

The only thing this film shares with previous Superman films are the main characters. Stylistically, it will be miles away from the others. Using the Williams score would make little sense artistically.

(And yes, I love the Williams theme. If Zimmer found a way to work its phrasing into his own score, that would be cool, but it should not be his guiding star. If he doesn't pay homage, that's all well and good too.)

Font! Yes!! Jor-El places a Kryptonian font "S" letter block inside the rocketship to inspire his son to become a journalist on Earth! The Fortress of Solitude will now be an intergalactic printing press!!!1

attachment.php

:panic:

Freaks. :rotfl :wave

Star Wars, Raiders, etc. were the same series of films. Same actors, directors, producers, composer, etc., but what's most important is that the style was consistent (with the separate elements all working toward that end).

The only thing this film shares with previous Superman films are the main characters. Stylistically, it will be miles away from the others. Using the Williams score would make little sense artistically.

(And yes, I love the Williams theme. If Zimmer found a way to work its phrasing into his own score, that would be cool, but it should not be his guiding star. If he doesn't pay homage, that's all well and good too.)

Exactly

Back