Man, I just got ripped off on eBay, big time

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shropt said:
So, to summarize, what happened is this: You paid for a polystone statue and you received a plastic statue? :D

Sorry, I had to do it.

No.......No..........its a sculpture.

woodsy said:
As far as protecting your feedback, simply waiting until 5 minutes to midnight on the 90th day that the auction ended and post your negative feedback then. Once midnight hits it will be too late for this clown to retaliate. :naughty

It doesn't work like that... i had a dude leave feedback on an item 6 months after the purchase (it was lost in the mail and showed up to both of our surprise 1/2 a year later)... i couldn't believe that he was still able to give feedback (even though it was positive... he saw the post mark and knew everything was on the up and up from my side)...

automaton said:
It doesn't work like that... i had a dude leave feedback on an item 6 months after the purchase (it was lost in the mail and showed up to both of our surprise 1/2 a year later)... i couldn't believe that he was still able to give feedback (even though it was positive... he saw the post mark and knew everything was on the up and up from my side)...

How weird can this be???
I believe it was me... the link to give you the feedback was no longer in the "My eBay" ---> I had to use the link from a mail in which was told I won the item (which I kept).
If this is so, the world is really small

Irish, I believe that you were misled and I would think that Paypal and eBay would side with you. I would also assume that in situations like these, eBay has some sort of system set up to protect people from retaliatory feedback. There's no way this guy should get away with this just because he knows that people are afraid of negative feedback.

I can see why you are afraid of negative feedback, especially because for you, it is unwarranted. On the same token the seller must be afraid of being sprung as a fraud too. To follow on from Tom, have you explained to the seller that you are dissatisfied and why? He may not wish to have ebay intervene on your behalf and give you your money back, and you in turn can send him his doll back.

You may be expecting the worst, that an argument will ensue, but it needn't be like that. I would just politely explain that the picture in his auction was not that of the product, and that no mention was made that the photo was not of the actual product, even with a cape and sabre, and that you would like your money back in return for the product he sent you. See what develops, and then if need be, I'd go directly to your card merchant and bypass ebay altogether. Once you have your money back, I'd lodge a complaint with ebay, provided there were no fees, cause I'm a scab, and get him taken down a rung or two.

Oh and don't forget to take a picture of this vintage 12 incher, preferrably with the shipping box and showing the sender details, just in case you need it as some sort of evidence.

Last edited:
amarcord said:
How weird can this be???
I believe it was me... the link to give you the feedback was no longer in the "My eBay" ---> I had to use the link from a mail in which was told I won the item (which I kept).
If this is so, the world is really small

amarcord... the item i am referring to was a Hot Toys SDU Diver... still you?

That sux balls, Irish!!!

At least you have a sense of humor about it, I would be pissed:monkey4

I'd file a claim with paypal. See where it goes from there. Then, take a giant crap in the box and send it back to the seller.

Yo Joey! You want me an Ant'ny should whack him?

I got ripped off for $45 on ebay before and I was pissed. It was right around the time those letters were being mailed with supposed anthrax, and I was really tempted to mail him another letter with baking soda in it.

"Hello 911? Somebody I ripped off sent me anthrax!"

man I hate the fact that there are some seriously dishonest a$$holes on Ebay. I joined way back when it was more of a community.

If you paid via paypal, which i'm sure you did if you've been a member of ebay for so long then just file a dispute. "Item not as described" The photograph is part of the description and was deliberately misleading, should be OK. However, you really do need to be careful with some of these people. I myself have over 350 feedback at 100% but if it mean't complaining about a rip off merchant who was laughing up his sleeve at me, i'd let it go in a second. My dignity and the fact that we all work hard for our money is more important than my feedback.

D

It was mentioned earlier, but before contacting Paypal, eBay filing complaints etc, you really should just give the seller a chance to make things right.

Last edited:
automaton said:
amarcord... the item i am referring to was a Hot Toys SDU Diver... still you?

No, it was a Platoon Elias

But the storyline was quite the same.

Glad it also ended good for you.

Being patient and not always fear the worst is what I learned about this.

Also - have to admit already 2 (yes two) times a package has been lost and never arrived - one I sent (a return) and one I expected.
And also - the postal service works very irregulary : a simular shipment can be rounded within some days and another time it takes weeks???

One time a buyer did not pay, was very rude and like IrishJedi I did not dare to give neg feedback because I am sure this person would ruin my 100 % feedback (I was told was neg was given it is impossible to erase it)
)

ffl1940 said:
It was mentioned earlier, but before contacting Paypal, eBay filing complaints etc, you really should just give the seller a chance to make things right.

NO CHANCES! NO MERCY! BLOOOOOOOD!:emperor :maul :emperor

No offense, but its kind of hard to mistake a PF Vader with a Kenner Vader. It is always possible this guy might think that Vader is Vader but andyone who deals on ebay generally knows the prices these things bring.

ffl1940 said:

Are you freakin' kidding me????

YOU are giving advice when in fact YOU YOURSELF have ripped off several people, including myself and Dave Darklord??!!

I tried over and over to get you to return my money or send me the headsculpts but got nowhere. So did many others who fell for your fraudulent acts.

And for those of you who are wondering:

https://www.onesixthwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6079

and

https://p197.ezboard.com/fonesixthnetfrm13.showMessage?topicID=164.topic

I've seen this clown posting here at the Freaks for a year now and notified Dave about his past but Dave basically said that since none of the fraudulant acts were instigated "here" at the Freaks board, he wouldn't ban him.

So just a heads-up to anyone thinking of dealing with ffl1940 / Mavfan1 / John Strand / Toys comics and collectibles / and whatever alias he's using nowadays... :snake

Ooooh, nice warning Al! :horror

Irish, PayPal will cover you for a fradulent listing (the pics), the product is clearly not what was advertised.

woodsy said:
If you made the Paypal payment via your credit card you can contact them [your credit card company] and request a chargeback as you are cover for internet fraud. Don't even bother going through Paypal or Ebay as I believe they are going to charge you a $20 or $25 fee right off the top.
As far as protecting your feedback, simply waiting until 5 minutes to midnight on the 90th day that the auction ended and post your negative feedback then. Once midnight hits it will be too late for this clown to retaliate. :naughty

Paypal does not appreciate a chargeback on credit card. If you read their policy, they may cover that and it would suck to have your account suspended or closed over $20.

My advice is to try to work it out with the seller. If it doesn't float, open a Paypal dispute. Usually the dispute pushes the seller to refund, especially in this case where the item was listed with a different picture. If Paypal were to rule on the dispute, it would be in your favor.

Back