Major League Baseball 2011

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know. :lol I like the guy would be nice to see him play well again. Its crazy that he just went to pieces when he left oakland.

Take a look at his numbers though:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/z/zitoba01.___ml

If you look at 2004 on he's not had a single year with an ERA under 3.80 and in that time his WHIP has been really high as well. He was slightly better from 2004-2006 when he was in Oakland but his numbers with the Giants are really not all that far off, especially if you throw out 2008 when he was putrid (10-17, 5.15era, 1.60whip). The Giants got what they paid for, a guy that had one great year and several average ones.

They were looking for a guy to replace Barry Bonds as the face of the franchise and felt Zito had built in star attraction since he was from right across the bay... Zito also, pre-Giant, had a good rep as a fairly personable guy that was media friendly. That went away pretty quick once he crossed the bridge.

One of Zito's biggest advantages was that the Oakland Coliseum is one the most pitcher friendly parks out there. Then again a Giants fan friend of mine once told me AT&T is only a hitter's park when Zito is pitching.:lol

Take a look at his numbers though:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/z/zitoba01.___ml

If you look at 2004 on he's not had a single year with an ERA under 3.80 and in that time his WHIP has been really high as well. He was slightly better from 2004-2006 when he was in Oakland but his numbers with the Giants are really not all that far off, especially if you throw out 2008 when he was putrid (10-17, 5.15era, 1.60whip). The Giants got what they paid for, a guy that had one great year and several average ones.

They were looking for a guy to replace Barry Bonds as the face of the franchise and felt Zito had built in star attraction since he was from right across the bay... Zito also, pre-Giant, had a good rep as a fairly personable guy that was media friendly. That went away pretty quick once he crossed the bridge.

I'll be honest I'm a big baseball junkie but his numbers were not one I had ever really looked at. I didn't realize he's been quite around this spot for a long time. I still like the guy maybe he needs to come to St. Louis and get coached by Dave Duncan.

Speaking of Zito I really hope he's okay. Scarry stuff....

One of Zito's biggest advantages was that the Oakland Coliseum is one the most pitcher friendly parks out there. Then again a Giants fan friend of mine once told me AT&T is only a hitter's park when Zito is pitching.:lol

Well, At&t is also a 'pitcher friendly' ballpark, but to be honest guys do hit there, they just don't hit it out all that often. Oakland has MASSIVE amounts of foul territory but all in all I'd say both play a little better for pitchers than hitters.

I'll be honest I'm a big baseball junkie but his numbers were not one I had ever really looked at. I didn't realize he's been quite around this spot for a long time. I still like the guy maybe he needs to come to St. Louis and get coached by Dave Duncan.

I bet he'd do great with you guys. It's not that Dave Righetti doesn't do a good job but Duncan seems to have the knack for resurrecting guys like Zito.

I bet he'd do great with you guys. It's not that Dave Righetti doesn't do a good job but Duncan seems to have the knack for resurrecting guys like Zito.

Right Righetti is a good pitching coach but like you said Duncan just does crazy work with guys. There was some noise early in the spring that sounded like the Giants would cut Zito and that he was coming to the Cards. I was kind of hoping that would happen especially with Adam going down.

Right Righetti is a good pitching coach but like you said Duncan just does crazy work with guys. There was some noise early in the spring that sounded like the Giants would cut Zito and that he was coming to the Cards. I was kind of hoping that would happen especially with Adam going down.

Yeah, a lot of fans here were excited when that rumor was going around. I thought it was stupid... We're stuck paying Zito and he is healthy so just let him pitch. If we ate his salary we'd be paying for nothing and then have to fill his spot in the rotation. Lose-lose.

Yeah, a lot of fans here were excited when that rumor was going around. I thought it was stupid... We're stuck paying Zito and he is healthy so just let him pitch. If we ate his salary we'd be paying for nothing and then have to fill his spot in the rotation. Lose-lose.

Right why pay for something you wouldn't be at least getting something from. Though, I would have been ok with it. :lol

Right why pay for something you wouldn't be at least getting something from. Though, I would have been ok with it. :lol

And that's another reason why that would be dumb for the Giants. Giving Dave Duncan a good arm that he could work with that would at the minimum eat up innings for the Cards would be silly. It's conceivable that the Cards and Giants could be competing for a WC spot this year, so why make them stronger?

I honestly think the Zito rumor was false. Just media driven BS really... Wainwright goes down, Zito being released rumor is written then the media tries to connect the dots when there was really nothing there to connect.

Cards open today? We're in LA. First pitch is 5pm my time. :clap

And that's another reason why that would be dumb for the Giants. Giving Dave Duncan a good arm that he could work with that would at the minimum eat up innings for the Cards would be silly. It's conceivable that the Cards and Giants could be competing for a WC spot this year, so why make them stronger?

I honestly think the Zito rumor was false. Just media driven BS really... Wainwright goes down, Zito being released rumor is written then the media tries to connect the dots when there was really nothing there to connect.

Cards open today? We're in LA. First pitch is 5pm my time. :clap

Right don't give a guy who has shown he can turn guys around a former Cy Young. I could see teams doing that but the Giants aren't one of those teams that stupid enough to try.

Yeah, we're at home today against the Pads. Not a great day for baseball in missouri with the weather. Its cold here near KC and supposed to be in St. Louis.

Right don't give a guy who has shown he can turn guys around a former Cy Young. I could see teams doing that but the Giants aren't one of those teams that stupid enough to try.

Yeah, we're at home today against the Pads. Not a great day for baseball in missouri with the weather. Its cold here near KC and supposed to be in St. Louis.

Well, I'll be rooting for you guys then... It helps that Latos is on the DL to start the year. He kills the Giants.

Weather in Denver tomorrow at game time should be 73 so we are lucky, but we have a real heavy wind right now, so it may get a little crazy.

24hrs from now I will be at my favorite downtown resteraunt 2 blocks away from Coors Field.

Bumgarner's really their only young pitcher

By age yes but as a whole the time they've been in the bigs really only Zito has done that.

are you in a fantasy league JOSH???

No, not this year. Usually I do something but I'm super ____ when I play and I check anything from his stats vs a pitcher, weather, to how the wind will be during the day. Figured I needed to take the summer off. :lol

Braves may get the WC but I can't see them overtaking the Phillies but I would love it if they did!

how long is he out? i heard it could be as long as the whole season, but I can't even remember the cause of the injury so I am surprised its that serious.

Back