MAFEX Robocop 1/12 scale

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m not saying the HT is a bad figure. It is still maybe the best interpretation of Robocop. I’m just saying that between proto and final product there is a real difference of paint. On your pics it looks really great but it is not on direct light and with a blue/grey back.
The mafex is not perfect, certainly less accurate than the HT but for 70€, they made a fantastic job!
Don’t get me wrong, the HT is far superior but I can understand the frustration of some who received their HT robocop and did not find exactly what they ordered in terms of paint.
With a 70€ figure, the frustration is acceptable.
But enjoy yours HT Robo, it’s a great figure!
:wink1:

This is my 1/6 RoboCop:

Pjp8n0W.jpg

4jQCIgb.jpg

It's a vinyl kit I've had since 1991. It was originally made by Huia in the late 80's, but mine was done by Wave using their old molds. Overall it's a pretty accurate kit. My friend spray painted it, it's showing it's age a bit now and could do with a bit of a repaint, but, it's all the 1/6 RoboCop I'll ever need. As for anything else, well, that's what the Mafex is for.

Yeah,

They do pop up on eBay from time to time. There was another by Horizon at the time, but it wasn't as good. The Huia one does also come with a Murphy head though I started trying to repaint it, it's a good likeness to Peter Weller as well. They did also do an ED-209 but it was only 1/16. There's and ED on eBay but the guy is asking far too much for it.

I have the Horizon kits of both ED and Robo but I never painted them. They're still all white after all these years.

I’m not saying the HT is a bad figure. It is still maybe the best interpretation of Robocop. I’m just saying that between proto and final product there is a real difference of paint. On your pics it looks really great but it is not on direct light and with a blue/grey back.
the key thing in my post was that i suspect HT faked their blue robocop and never actually made one, even for a prototype :)
so it was a fake advertising on even a deeper level.

100% agree with you!
And the problem is that people bailed on what they saw on preview pics, the metal/steel/blue 1987 robocop and they received a silver Robocop!
I can understand the frustration.
You’re totally right! Fake advertising.
Even if the sculpt is superb.

I have the Horizon kits of both ED and Robo but I never painted them. They're still all white after all these years.

The Horizon RoboCop was like a big NECA figure. The ED wasn't bad, just an odd scale, 1/9 as I recall. It's interesting how both HT and NECA went for the squished look of the stop motion ED puppet rather than the full size one. Apparently, the mold shrank when they cast the puppet and the maquette was too badly damaged to make new ones from, so they just had to go with what they had. Nobody noticed, though in a video I've seen, they do a comparison and the differences are really clear.

The frustration came when Robert John Burke took over and then, what started out as a blood and guts Verhoeven character, ended up in a kids TV series!

Hmmmm might have to get myself that Neca ED 209. You might have convinced me again Otomofan. Really wanted one at the time and even had one on pre-order but had to cancel it due to an online retailer messing me around a bit. I never got round to re-ordering from another company sadly. The mafex Robo definitely needs something to go with him as almost every other figure I own is part of a collection so he looks a little bit out of place.

Just scored an ED 209 for £77.00 posted! It was a new listing on eBay, the BIN price was £80 with £5 postage, but, I got a 10% off voucher. Happy days!

Seller's pic:

Eq7eX1S.jpg

Looks good to me!

Thanks, just looked at a video review of that figure, and when he took it out of the packaging and first posed it, the leg joints looked slightly stiffer than the original release seemed to in reviews. This can only be a good thing! Apart from the packaging, this release is identical to the first, they didn't add anything. I must say, when I saw it posed next to the NECA RoboCop, ED looked slightly small to me. Scaling has never been a consistent thing for NECA. I have an Ultimate Ash and next to my other Ultimate figures, he is more like 1/12 compared to them. What this does mean is that I have no qualms at all about standing the Mafex RoboCop next to ED.

I'm definitely going to take pics of the two of them together. I'll be like a kid at Christmas, which of course it nearly is!

Congrats Rogerbee. Lovely addition to the collection. That one looks a bit shinier than the pics I've seen. I didn't realise there was a 2nd release. Did this one have more of a chrome sheen than the original? A lot of photos I'd seen made the original one look kind of blue/gray. He looks excellent in that pic you shared from the seller.

Looking forward to picking him up myself however he might be a bit awkward to find a place to put him due to his size. For those who have one: is he heavy? Trying to think of where he'd go in my collection :)

I think it's more due to flash photography than the finish, if you look at the end of the left (as you look at it) gun arm, you can still see blue/grey. Some of the videos I've seen show him looking the same colour as the original release. Most seem to show the flaps and legs being tighter. Reviewers say that much of the weight is in the feet and he looks like he can be comfortably held in one hand. I doubt he's top heavy so there's no danger of him toppling over. I'll find out soon enough I guess.

As time has gone on, I think I'd rather have a 2017 one over a 4 year old one. You don't see many 30th anniversary ones around though, I got lucky.

Hello,

received my Mafex Robocop this morning.

The figure is really awesome. But when i opened the box, i immediatly noticed a little paint defect but just in the middle of the left chest plate...:slap

OK i will try to see if i can find a solution with the seller, maybe exchange just the chest plate and if no, i think i can live with... sad but not too serious.

So if i set aside this paint flaw the figure is really stunning! No worries, you get what you saw on the promo pics. It is a little bit bigger than i expected, the paint is really cool! Not too silver with beautifull blue and purpple touches.

The faces are really accurate, it is definitly Peter Weller!

The articulations are various enough to reproduce iconic poses of the movie.

Ok it is not diecast, ok it is not the HT version but if you can't afford or don't need 1/6 or 1/4 300$ and more figures, i think this is the definitive Robocop in this type of scale. And above all this is well the Robocop of 1987! It really captures the mood of the movie. For the price range I don’t think something better can be done.
And if you can add ED 209, you got an awesome duo!

:wink1:

Back