1/6 Luke Skywalker: Red Five X-Wing Pilot Sixth Scale Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lacklustre paint and even worse photos. The sculpt however, apart from the hair, looks as close to the prototype as one would expect. Waiting for photos that are in focus, so this still might be re-paint worthy, but I may still opt for a custom to get closer to the Mark than either SSC or HT.

This isn't a figure I'm interested in owning in the slightest,I was just hoping to get a good sculpt that didn't need any additional work to swap onto the HT Farmboy Luke - that sculpt isn't suitable for anything but temporary display in my collection unfortunately.

Even if I were interested in this, I wouldn't be freaking out over some abysmally taken photos.

Oh for gawd's sake..what's wrong with these photo's? Flat even light, in focus and sharp?
Or do you need Dean Cudney to pop around and add some atmosphere before you can judge what you are looking at?
:lol

Last edited:
SIDESHOW STOP SHOWING THE BEST VERSION THAT WE DONT GET! im sick and tired of the lalla beauty paint up, and we get the sideshow special instead. why even bother having a "promo" pic of something thats not even close to what we get? i dont collect promo pics. even the body in the actual product looks to be bigger and bulkier ,filling out his costume and adding to the complaint list. in a day where collectors are getting priced out and hanging on by a thread to stay in this hobby, sideshow is at least making it easy for us to save money. insulting with that pirice by the way

As I mentioned earlier Lala could paint a marble and make it impressive. Crazy to get protos painted like this, asking for trouble.

At this point I think I'm about done with Sideshow. Definitely no more pre-orders of human characters. I have the Tie Pilot on order which seems to have fared okay, R5-D4, and C3PO on order from them. 3PO might meet the chopping block as I'm not confident in how it's going to turn out. I want the Jawas set but I'm going to have to wait due to the NRD on them and how unreliable Sideshow is with delivering a good final product.

Here's the fairest COMP I could make of the Production figure, the actual Character, and the Proto...

Luke Pilot COMP.jpg

It's all pretty close really... but the Production figure just misses a bit in most categories. Misses majorly in the sculpt.

I want the Jawas set but I'm going to have to wait due to the NRD on them and how unreliable Sideshow is with delivering a good final product.

Sideshow + NRD isn't a very good business model from a customer's point of view.

Hence the necessity for...

...the lalla beauty paint up.

Anyone not familiar with Sideshow's practices must get quite a shock when opening the box. :lol

Here's the fairest COMP I could make of the Production figure, the actual Character, and the Proto...

View attachment 220794

It's all pretty close really... but the Production figure just misses a bit in most categories. Misses majorly in the sculpt.
It almost looks like a completely different head and hair sculpt. Not just paint but shape and size.

lol right kuat of kuat? poor newbs

i love jawas, but i already despise the damn ribbed material they are obsessed with using on all characters. even my hasbro jawa and tusken raider have the more burlap material. again, cutting corners and being lazy.

View attachment 220794

The outfit looks pretty much the same, considering the John Woo figure hasn't been futzed. As you say, it's the sculpt (and hair) that doesn't match up to the promise.

Damn... what a let down. In fairness the overall paint work on the head is better than most of what Sideshow puts out, but those eyes are just awful.

First off, his eyes are blue; always have been always will be. They got that wrong on the proto too... but how it got to production is beyond me. But the bigger issue is just how blank and dead the stare is. The work on the eyes is clean, but they just need to shift it up a hair for it too seem like he's looking at something rather than thinking about power converters.

The outfit and helmet seem okay, but again not up to the quality of the proto... still acceptable enough, but not at a price higher than what HT would charge.

Glad I passed on this, I'll keep an eye out for a deal on the regular as I have a feeling he won't be a strong seller :lol

lol right kuat of kuat? poor newbs

i love jawas, but i already despise the damn ribbed material they are obsessed with using on all characters. even my hasbro jawa and tusken raider have the more burlap material. again, cutting corners and being lazy.

It's that material that's putting me off getting them.

Can't wait to see if Dave puts this Luke face up in the Banner... :D

Does Dave ever say anything bad (i.e. truthful) about Sideshow figures?

As disappointed as I am by this figure -- moreso because of what it represents from Sideshow -- I am relieved that I don't feel compelled to buy it and add yet another version of Luke to what I'm trying to keep as a 'simple' display for Star Wars.

Multiple figures become a problem with a collect-them-all mentality. So having passed on Hoth Luke and now this Pilot Luke, I can be happy with my HT Tatooine Luke which I'm certain will not disappoint.

can someone explain these eyes to me? I just don't get it.

1_zpsomoviv0u.jpg

My god. I think we can understand now why Sideshow wanted to use the separate eye system, because these have to be some of the worst-painted eyes I've ever seen on a 1/6 figure. I mean you can find knockoff and recast heads on ebay with more realistic eyes than that. :slap

That said, I do still think the underlying sculpt is pretty good... if only the terrible paintjob hadn't completely destroyed it.

Back