Lucasfilm's RED TAILS

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This film is a mixed blessing. It does give us much needed Black heroes who prevail in an action/war movie, but there is a cost for the way their story is told. The whole idea around the struggle just to get those pilots in the air is completely ignored and the film rarely addresses the institutional racism within the United States military that prevented African Americans from realizing their true potential in combat. What is shown in the film makes the Tuskegee Airmen look more concerned about the number of enemy kills they obtain rather than the constant fight to better their, and other Black soldiers and sailors, acceptance in the military. With this element largely absent, much of the story of the Airmen loses its heart and “soul.” It is apparent that George Lucas’s assessment of Hollywood’s reluctance to tell Black stories is correct, even when it comes from a powerful insider like himself and when it is pushed as an action, shoot ‘em up war epic. I read today that the film was aimed at teenage boys, so flashy Star Wars-like flight scenes trump historical accuracy. I really do get that, but something is lost in translation and I believe a balance between the two could have been achieved and a spectacular action movie still could have resulted. I also think the writers could have done a much better job. Academy Award winner Cuba Gooding, Jr. is such a waste in the film as he mainly just sticks a pipe in his mouth the whole movie. But “Red Tails” is what it is—a film truly wanting to give African Americans credit for contributing to winning World War II while steadfastly refusing to acknowledge the sacrifice that came with that effort. I guess the Lucas documentary makes up for a lot of this, but I missed it and i am sure many others did too. Still, some of the patriotism exhibited by the undervalued and perceived “racially inferior” Black flyers comes through and that gives viewers something to cheer about. I would say that given the difficulty of getting race-based movies made by Hollywood moguls today, that kind of reaction is always welcome at any time at the cinema. But the legacy of the Tuskegee Airmen deserves better and their story needs to be explored more fully. In fact, there are many other stories of Black heroism in times of war that need some visual attention. I do take this personally as my cousin was a Tuskegee Airman. I am old enough to have known him and to have listened to him talk about his experiences. I can assure you, episodes of racism were always part of our conversations. By the way, there is no connection between the Tuskegee Airmen and the Tuskegee Syphilis Experiment except a shared area in Alabama and racial discrimination. The Airmen came home to an America little changed by the victory of democracy over fascism, not to unethical medical procedures. For them, Jim Crow was a force they could not shoot down from a plane.

I'd love a War Machine movie. I got into the latest series last year, and thought it was badass. With Don Cheadle reprising his role I"m sured it'd do really great ticket saleswise.

While I wasn't necessarily thrilled about Terrence Howard being Rhodes, Cheadle turned in a horrid, flat performance as his replacement. Plus, I don't think Cheadle would be as committed to a popcorn franchise as Terrence Howard seemed to be. :(

This film is a mixed blessing. It does give us much needed Black heroes who prevail in an action/war movie, but there is a cost for the way their story is told. The whole idea around the struggle just to get those pilots in the air is completely ignored and the film rarely addresses the institutional racism within the United States military that prevented African Americans from realizing their true potential in combat. What is shown in the film makes the Tuskegee Airmen look more concerned about the number of enemy kills they obtain rather than the constant fight to better their, and other Black soldiers and sailors, acceptance in the military. With this element largely absent, much of the story of the Airmen loses its heart and “soul.” It is apparent that George Lucas’s assessment of Hollywood’s reluctance to tell Black stories is correct, even when it comes from a powerful insider like himself and when it is pushed as an action, shoot ‘em up war epic. I read today that the film was aimed at teenage boys, so flashy Star Wars-like flight scenes trump historical accuracy. I really do get that, but something is lost in translation and I believe a balance between the two could have been achieved and a spectacular action movie still could have resulted. I also think the writers could have done a much better job. Academy Award winner Cuba Gooding, Jr. is such a waste in the film as he mainly just sticks a pipe in his mouth the whole movie. But “Red Tails” is what it is—a film truly wanting to give African Americans credit for contributing to winning World War II while steadfastly refusing to acknowledge the sacrifice that came with that effort. I guess the Lucas documentary makes up for a lot of this, but I missed it and i am sure many others did too. Still, some of the patriotism exhibited by the undervalued and perceived “racially inferior” Black flyers comes through and that gives viewers something to cheer about. I would say that given the difficulty of getting race-based movies made by Hollywood moguls today, that kind of reaction is always welcome at any time at the cinema. But the legacy of the Tuskegee Airmen deserves better and their story needs to be explored more fully. In fact, there are many other stories of Black heroism in times of war that need some visual attention. I do take this personally as my cousin was a Tuskegee Airman. I am old enough to have known him and to have listened to him talk about his experiences. I can assure you, episodes of racism were always part of our conversations. By the way, there is no connection between the Tuskegee Airmen and the Tuskegee Syphilis Experiment except a shared area in Alabama and racial discrimination. The Airmen came home to an America little changed by the victory of democracy over fascism, not to unethical medical procedures. For them, Jim Crow was a force they could not shoot down from a plane.

Thanks for your summation.

I'd really like a movie about more of the African American soldiers that fought in WW2 on the ground.

Its a shame such a fantastic story about true heroism overcoming all odds can be spoiled by cartoon-ish FX, its more like Who Shot Roger Rabbit with live actors being placed in an animated set.

I enjoyed this movie, but it had moments where the tone was decidedly all over the place - tried to be too many things to the audience

That said, I'd give it a B - some acting a little cheesey

While I wasn't necessarily thrilled about Terrence Howard being Rhodes, Cheadle turned in a horrid, flat performance as his replacement. Plus, I don't think Cheadle would be as committed to a popcorn franchise as Terrence Howard seemed to be. :(

Don Cheadle is great in House of Lies, he can carry a War machine film. The problem is Rhodie so far has had an officer's disciplined personality. That would need to be loosened up so Cheadle can be more dynamic.

Would he commit to doing a War Machine film? The way Disney and Marvel throw money around it provides a lot of financial security.

Or maybe he'd rather play a Jedi...

Back