low edition number

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BankruptCollector

Freaked Out
Reaction score
as a collector, would you pay a premium for low edition numbers? artist proofs? i mean, really....wth is the difference?!?!? just thought i'd pick the brains of my fellow freaks.

Edition number can be a crazy thing. For some reason, people pay ridiculous amounts of money for low numbers on Ebay, even though most of the products were randomly numbered later in the production process.

The only numbering that I think is worthwhile is when a piece has a number that corresponds to its history. For example, a stormtrooper statue may be more interesting if it is numbered 427. Hellboy would be interesting with a 666. Any number of Star Wars collectibles would benefit from 1138.

If I was able to pick a number there are some I would like more than others but no way would I pay a premium for any number.

The quality of the product is more important than the number. I don't mind having a mass produced piece as long it is appealing to me, =D

If the number ment the true production sequence (like done for automobiles), I can see paying a bit more. But on collectible, it's random, so meh.

Assuming they are numbered in sequence produced (which I don't know that they are), the only reason it might affect me is that the factory workers painting a piece or whatever might do a better job early in the process (low numbers) because they aren't tired, or they might do better later if they've got a process down better. But that stuff probably balances out.

No I wouldn't. I don't even see the number, I see the actual statue. So I have no care for a low one. If it happens by chance, then cool. But really no big deal.

i don't think i've ever paid attention to edition #s on any of my statues/busts...but it would be cool to have a #1.

It depends on what it is, and the number made, if they only made 150 or so, then I don't think it matters much. If they made 1500 then it may matter a bit depending on the process used. If it's hand painted, like many coolectables, I'd rather get the artist who's just started that one who is sick of looking at the same thing. The first and last of any item is usually considered to be worth more simple because it's the beginning and the end of the series. It really comes down to personal preference, I like having low numbers, but I wouldn't pay extra for it cause I really don't resell.

Last edited:
I was extremely fortunate to get Jerry's 1/250 on his gandalf print. It is really cool, and the only 1 I have in my collection. I think it makes a bigger diference on art prints as the number is visible on the front with the artwork.

valid points. i never paid much mind to low edition numbers or artist proofs. especially artist proofs. AP's have no significance other than the fact that most likely who ever has it or is reselling it never had to pay for the piece themselves (so why charge more for it?). yea, in place of a number you have the words artist proof, and then what? pointless. low edition numbers that correspond to some personal preference (bdays, anniversaries, and what not) however is definatley to each his/her own. would it be cool to get a 1/xxx? yes it would be...but i wouldn't pay more for it. the only real number that matters to me is if its a 1/1.

Never cared about edition numbers on my collectibles. Never cared about Artist Proofs either thoughIi have a couple (unintended). For example a number (whatever it is) is unique, and an AP is not...

Back