LOST discussion - thar be spoilers ahead!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just finished the last season . And wow. :clap. I'm very glad I picked this series up. Such an incredible cast. Nearly every episode had me on the edge of my seat. Amazing job on this show. Now I need to go back and watch all the extra materials. :lol

Great show though really lukewarm on the "we are all dead" ending.

In my mind the show ended in the MIB Locke and Jack battle and Hurley assuming the mantle. Perfect.

Great show though really lukewarm on the "we are all dead" ending.

In my mind the show ended in the MIB Locke and Jack battle and Hurley assuming the mantle. Perfect.

Well, yeah, exactly. That IS where the show ended. Everything else (The Sideways World, the Church at the end "we're dead and moving on" etc) was just the Coda. Granted, they tricked us into thinking it was an integral part of the proceedings, specifically related to detonating Jughead... but that was just a trick to hook us. And it worked well. The problem is, most people don't think. I mean, the fact that it was even a discussion as to whether the characters had been dead the whole time just shows you how most people should never have been watching in the first place. I believe that people who "hated" the ending or though that they s'd the p with it think about the Sideways world. They think about them all meeting in the afterlife and moving on together and that is how LOST ended for them. That isn't how LOST ended for me. That was a nice helping of additional information as to what becomes of these characters we spent six years together. It resonates emotionally and it totally works. But its icing. The cake is everything that happened on island. (Which I still don't think a lot of people understood - and I'll admit, I think Darlton could have done a better job clarifying some elements, but I digress).

When I think of how LOST ended I think how we watch Jack totally transformed into the new John Locke. I think how great it is to watch Jack (as John) fight MiB (as John) both physically and ideologically. The fact that it wasn't just an all our brawl / gun fight between the two was great. Both men BELIEVED in what they were doing and believed it to be the right thing. They both wanted the same thing... Desmond to go down into the Source and "reset" the Island and they both belived this would get them what they wanted. AND, in the typical LOST fashion of nothing ever being easy, black / white, they WERE both right. MiB got to reset the Island so he was free to leave (something that I believe had he done at that point would have bared no ill consequences for anyone). And Jack got what he wanted... which funnily enough was the same thing MiB wanted... he wanted to reset the island so he could kill MiB. Not because he could not leave the island, but because of what he did to all the survivors; trying to blow them all up in the sub freshest on his mind. Also, in reseting the island, it took away all of Jacobs rules, it freed Desmond, it freed everybody. It gave Jack something to fix.

its beautiful. The Season 2 / Season 6 metaphor... the Jack / John dynamic playing out beautifully. All of THAT. THAT is my ending of LOST.

Don't know what motivated me to chirp up... but there you have it:dunno

That was my problem with it though. If indeed we were tricked into believing that the afterlife stuff was important, it means that the revelation at the end meat that all the time spent on it was a waste of time. In a season where nothing much of anything happened (the characters more or less walked back and forth across the island for 3/4 of the season) and little was resolved or explained, the last thing the audience wanted to hear was that the stuff we did get was a waste.

I think the reason 'limbo' was in season 6, was a result of every season prior having two stories going on in two different time periods. Flash forwards, flash backs, time travel.....and I think the producers wanted to keep a similar feel for season 6. One timeline would be the Island and the other would need to be something else. I am sure they decided against flash backs because they've done so many.....and at the time they came up with what they thought was the best choice; the 'Limbo'.

It was a new fresh storyline that would keep people interested, but ultimately it might have not been the best choice overall.

What payoff? None of it meant anything, or had anything at all to do with what was going on in the real storyline, which left half the mysteries that they set up unanswered. If you only have 16 hours to wrap up a story, you shouldnt waste time on something that doesn't contribute.

Flashbacks were more or less done away with in Season 5 (though there were 2 sets of main stories going on) and they should have stayed gone.

When James Cameron found out that he only had 2 hours to tell the story of Terminator 2, did he go and cut the scene explaining what a T-1000 was? No, he cut the pointless character moments of the t-800 learning how to smile and Sarah reuniting with Reese in her dream. Lost did the exact opposite. Coherant plot be damned, they are going to explore these characters some more. This time in hypothetical scenarios.

Last edited:
The payoffs for me were seeing a few of the couples reconnect. Sawyer and Juliet....? Claire and Charlie....?? COME ON!!!!

Not to mention Jack finally talking to Christian.

Granted quite a few 'important (to some (most?)) mysteries' went unanswered... And maybe that's where you're coming from Shadow.

You can hate the ending. . . . you can love it. All I know is that this was the GREATEST series to ever air, and probably ever will. None will/can compare, and it ended with perfection. That is my opinion.

When James Cameron found out that he only had 2 hours to tell the story of Terminator 2, did he go and cut the scene explaining what a T-1000 was? No, he cut the pointless character moments of the t-800 learning how to smile and Sarah reuniting with Reese in her dream. Lost did the exact opposite. Coherant plot be damned, they are going to explore these characters some more. This time in hypothetical scenarios.

They always said it was a character driven show. It was just that the fans clung onto the mythology rather than focusing on the characters.

And as far as your comparison goes, 2 hour sci-fi action movies don't need character studies, but when the hook of your show is how all these random characters turn out to be intrinsically related, and you have great actors like Michael Emerson and Terry O'Quinn, you better give them some juicy stuff to work with.

Haters gonna hate, but the flash-sideways being irrelevant is just an argument for people that are pissed that Walt's mental powers were never explained. It was fun to see how the Losties lives would've been had they not been touched by Jacob.

It was just that the fans clung onto the mythology rather than focusing on the characters.
Right, which is why the creators spoke almost exclusivly about the mythology in interviews, and said explicitly that they had every detail of the series planned out from the beginning, with every mystery having an ansewr that would come in good time.

And as far as your comparison goes, 2 hour sci-fi action movies don't need character studis,
Just like we don't need to find out what it would be like if Jack had a son with Juliette, if Sayid never married Nadia, or if Ben were a history teacher.

Haters gonna hate, but the flash-sideways being irrelevant is just an argument for people that are pissed that Walt's mental powers were never explained.
Character driven shows still need a consistant plot. A focus on one aspect of storytelling is no ecscuse for giving no thought to the application in the other. Alot of these things aren't little details, but giant aspects of the story that are missing. The most apparent actually arising in the last two seasons.

And it wasn't like the character aspects made sense either. The Jacob story was pretty much the entire focus of the last season, and yet his and Smokie's motivations were extremly inconsistant and made little sense.

Well, yeah, exactly. That IS where the show ended. Everything else (The Sideways World, the Church at the end "we're dead and moving on" etc) was just the Coda. Granted, they tricked us into thinking it was an integral part of the proceedings, specifically related to detonating Jughead... but that was just a trick to hook us. And it worked well. The problem is, most people don't think. I mean, the fact that it was even a discussion as to whether the characters had been dead the whole time just shows you how most people should never have been watching in the first place. I believe that people who "hated" the ending or though that they s'd the p with it think about the Sideways world. They think about them all meeting in the afterlife and moving on together and that is how LOST ended for them. That isn't how LOST ended for me. That was a nice helping of additional information as to what becomes of these characters we spent six years together. It resonates emotionally and it totally works. But its icing. The cake is everything that happened on island. (Which I still don't think a lot of people understood - and I'll admit, I think Darlton could have done a better job clarifying some elements, but I digress).

:clap :goodpost: :clap

Right, which is why the creators spoke almost exclusivly about the mythology in interviews, and said explicitly that they had every detail of the series planned out from the beginning, with every mystery having an ansewr that would come in good time.

Pretty sure that's not true.

Shadow: did you watch the Epilogue "The New Man In Charge"?

It answered a long list of questions.

And regarding any questions left unanswered: we have enough information to formulate plausible theories, which for me is more satisfying than having every aspect of the mythology fed to us.

Back