Looking back on '06 with Sideshow...

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jedibear

Figuring it out
CF Supporter
Reaction score
While there is another thread going on to simply "rank" the SW figures that Sideshow has released this year, let's take it a step further and get some comments and views on how this maiden voyage with Sideshow has gone...

Go ahead and rank 'em too if you'd like, but let's hear some of the thoughts behind that and what you'd like to see next year bring from this line...

Here's a look at the 12" line again:
323551832_15240916f2_o.jpg

324602089_ab95250fc0_o.jpg

Here's what I had to say over in "Rank 'em"...

Jedibear's ranking & comments...

This is tough...like CustomMikey mentioned over in the "Rank 'em": thread, they all excel at different aspects, so this list is more a matter of personal preference...but here goes...

* Darth Maul
* Obi-Wan Kenobi
* Qui-Gon Jinn
* Luke Skywalker
* Darth Vader Sith Apprentice
* Mace Windu
* Kit Fisto
* Anakin Skywalker
* Han Solo

An overall view...

The Good: We have a company that has great artists who are also huge fans of the license putting out well-crafted figures featuring well done sculpts, quality outfits and accessories, interesting and vibrant packaging and a great relationship with their consumers (who are among the most ardent fans with high expectations around).
We've had an interesting (if a little jedi-centric) line of characters this year, and in one interesting turn, the company re-visited a character and offered a second, improved version of him. They've heard our feedback, they listen, and when they can, implement changes and improvements. This year ends with new shipping boxes, a figure that raises the bar and the promise of even more exciting releases on the horizon (and hopefully some armored characters)

The Bad: A few missteps with some characters made for some bumps in the road ( Luke with his too-long arms, Anakin with his heavy red lips, & Han with his too-form-fitting clothes, especially that jacket)...flimsy/thin shippers left a lot of fans with damaged boxes (which to their credit, Sideshow cheerfully replaced when asked)...a "feast or famine" approach with the release schedule left some fans contemplating a ramen noodle diet, homelessness or buying their figure...no armored or odd-shaped characters released in the first year. Again, to Sideshow's credit, most of these issues were (or are being) dealt with, so the new year looks promising...with Maul truly heralding in a new level of excellence from the superb paint apps and body size to the shippers being improved and the oddest-shaped SW character of all...Jabba the Hutt...on the horizon.

Wrapping Up: I am so thankful to Sideshow for putting the fun back into SW collecting again...and allowing some pride as well. There is certainly no embarrassment in displaying these high-quality figures in your home or work. My collection displayed at work has never failed to garner appreciation from even the most casual observer...all are impressed with the quality they see (Maul has gone over ESPECIALLY well!)

Around here, every figure has at the very least generated good (if sometimes, little high-spirited) discussion and stimulated feedback, not to mention exposing us to great artists in this "freak" zone that have wonderfully taken these great figures and expanded upon them either from total makeovers and interpretations to some fun photography to just great enthusiasm through their displays.

Hopes for next year: Of course we all have our wish list of characters we'd like to see get made...I know I'd really appreciate an Episode One Obi-Wan to go with Qui-Gon & Maul. Some cantina aliens or more of Jabba's court would be fun and of course, some armored characters! I'm looking forward to more prequel entries (other than Jedi) too... I also wouldn't mind if Sideshow broke their own rule of not doing versions of characters that they have made in the premium format...I'm hoping we get a Darth Vader from the classic movie, especially considering it will be the 30th Anniversary!

I also want to comment on how great it's been to come to this board and share in the enthusiasm by reading the commentary, seeing who gets figures first, who posts the photos to help heighten all of our anticipation, viewing the amazing custom work some folks do and all with a sense of fun...

It's been a great year....here's to more in 2007!

Let's hear some other comments, folks!

When I look back over the year, I get a giggle at all the naysayers who were brand new to SSC. I sit back in my chair satisfied, as I knew I would be from the last 9 years I've enjoyed their products, and think of a way to best express how I feel about it all and all I can say is:

I told you so.

:)

good points, i agree with most of them. my only problem is that they seemed to be over doing it with the Jedi characters. don't get me wrong as these are my favorites from the movies, but with only 1 real sith it seems like are still trying to figure out which direction to take things or they just had an over abundance of jedi robes. this is a great lineup so far, i just think they need to cater to the masses a little more and give people some of the other lines they promised such as more Heroes of the Rebellion, Scum and Villainy, and the Military. (the jedi and sith are the only two lines i can collect due to the funds so i want them to release something else to give my wallet a break and keep everyone happy)

hairlesswookiee said:
good points, i agree with most of them. my only problem is that they seemed to be over doing it with the Jedi characters. don't get me wrong as these are my favorites from the movies, but with only 1 real sith it seems like are still trying to figure out which direction to take things or they just had an over abundance of jedi robes. this is a great lineup so far, i just think they need to cater to the masses a little more and give people some of the other lines they promised such as more Heroes of the Rebellion, Scum and Villainy, and the Military. (the jedi and sith are the only two lines i can collect due to the funds so i want them to release something else to give my wallet a break and keep everyone happy)

I'm okay with that really. There's so many Jedi so it's either do a lot now, or have a lot to catch up on later. And if they need time to make the clones/stormtroopers perfect, then I'll happily take another Jedi.

But as the dates near, I'm growing more weary about a purchase of 3 endor troops.

hairlesswookiee said:
...but with only 1 real sith...

I'll have to call you on that. I'm very glad that Darth Vader was the first Sith. I've never liked when people call that figure "Sith Anakin" or "Vaderkin" 'coz it's Darth Vader.

At this point we have two real Sith figures. I think we should all give the Darth Vader Sith Apprentice figure a bit more respect...

I'll have to call you on that. I'm very glad that Darth Vader was the first Sith. I've never liked when people call that figure "Sith Anakin" or "Vaderkin" 'coz it's Darth Vader.

At this point we have two real Sith figures. I think we should all give the Darth Vader Sith Apprentice figure a bit more respect...

I'm with Dave. I think we all developed a mindset that Darth Vader is the armoured figure we saw in the Ep. 4-6, but in Lucas' story line, Darth Vader was Anakin's Sith name and the armor was only a necessity of injury. Had Obi-Wan not wounded him so greatly, it's possible Darth Vader would have been a flesh and blood character throughout his life, so the Sith eyed Anakin truly is the first days of Darth Vader and as such, to call his figure a Sith is accurrate.

I'm with hairless; there's been only 1 real Sith in this line. I think of Sith Anakin as "pre-Vader", and I and a lot of people will still think of Vader only as the guy in the armor.

I'm as SS newbie, having heard of them only in connection with WETA and LOTR. When I found out that SS was taking over the 12" license, I was happy, though a little guarded. Not about the quality, but about the price point. I solved that by getting only the figures I really wanted and curbing my fast food habit. :p

Overall, I'm more than impressed with this line. I can do without more Jedi, though. There are lot of other characters I'd love to have that don't sport brown robes.

Last edited:
I agree......I'm quite disappointed that there was no Palpatine in either 12" or PF versions this year.....

I hope next year brings kick-ass baddies......enough with the good guys....:maul :emperor

DarthRamuk said:
I agree......I'm quite disappointed that there was no Palpatine in either 12" or PF versions this year.....

I hope next year brings kick-ass baddies......enough with the good guys....:maul :emperor

Amen, brother. Bring on suited Vader, Palpatine/Sidious, Dooku, the Fetts, Stormtroopers, Tusken Raiders..................well, you get the idea. :D

He's a Sith to me. He has the red hate-Sith eyes, he killed kids and betrayed his friends and family....hhhmmmmm sounds like a Sith to me. But that's just me.

To me everything was slightly downhill after Luke (being my fav.) and didn't really pick back up until Obi and now Maul. So, to me at least, it was a year showing that SS has the promise to make bigger and better things with Star Wars. But it still hasn't reached what I know they can do. Hopefully they bang out the body problem and knock us dead with some Vader and Stormtrooper action that I can actually pose into battle shots.

Good idea JB. I for one have been blown away by SideShow's SW line this year. I have been collecting StarWars stuff all my life, and I have to say this is the first time I have ever felt I have had the ultimate SW figure. Just using Qui-Gon as an example (also one of the most underrated characters in all six films) you get everything you would want him to come with; poncho, sabers, etc. I don't ever need another Qui-Gon Jinn figure again! That's what's so cool! I feel you get more figure for your money and top notch quality to boot, which is rare. The first year has seen two of my most wanted figures Bespin Han and Qui-Gon, here's hoping Ben Kenobi and some troopers are coming down the line soon. Also if Jabba is any indication for this line, then we are in for a treat.

This has been one hell of a year for SW fans. These figures are off the charts good. Sure there are some small things you could complain about but to me they are not worth getting upset over. I knew and said when SS got the rights to do these SW fans would be happy. I can only see things going up with SS at the helm of this line.

I haven't been disappointed by a single one I've gotten so far. I tend to be a bit more laid back in my collecting, so things like "monkey arms" or hair being a shade too dark don't really bother me. The only substantive misstep with this line so far imo was Qui-Gon's poncho being exclusive.

For '07, I hope SSC gives it a rest with the PT Jedi, and they need to :dump or get off the pot regarding armored characters.

As I said in the other thread, these are quite simply the greatest SW figures ever produced.

SSC have made me a very happy man with these 8 (or 9 figures) - I can't wait to see what we get in 2007.

I love all of the figures so far, even though I haven't gotten all of them, the ones I have gotten I am completely happy with and they are amazing. Kit Fisto is really super awesome, he's what got me into this line and I still say he's one of the best. He's now 2nd though to Maul. Maul is absolutely awesome, the sculpt, the paint job, the costume, the body is awesome too, when I was redoing his clothes after getting him it was really easy to pose him without the stand, he seems to be more proportionate. Obi-Wan is really awesome, I really like that figure, when I have them by my computer I sometimes can't help but sit there staring at them. I can't wait for next year. And hopefully we can get some armored characters:chew

MaulFan said:
I'm with Dave. I think we all developed a mindset that Darth Vader is the armoured figure we saw in the Ep. 4-6, but in Lucas' story line, Darth Vader was Anakin's Sith name and the armor was only a necessity of injury. Had Obi-Wan not wounded him so greatly, it's possible Darth Vader would have been a flesh and blood character throughout his life, so the Sith eyed Anakin truly is the first days of Darth Vader and as such, to call his figure a Sith is accurrate.

I'll go a step further and say that even Obi-Wan kept calling him Anakin during and after the duel. He didn't say "I have failed you Darth Vader. I have failed you".

While I agree that he had been given his Sith name at that point he also responded when Padme and Obi-Wan kept callinghim Anakin.

I loved all of these releases. I cant wait to get more and this along with the PF have become my favorite parts of my collection.

Overall I'm very happy with the 12" SW line but if I had to make one comment about it it'd be the inequity of lines. While I'm a huge Jedi fan and enjoyed all of my Jedi, the Heroes of the Rebellion line will end out with 1 figure in 2006, the Lords of the Sith line will end out with 2 and the Military of Star Wars with 0. Scum and Villainy may or may not get a figure out in 2006 which would bring the total to 10 figures instead of 9....if not, the other 6 are all Order of the Jedi. I would have preferred a little more for each line personally and would like a bit of variations on my shelves but that's a hope for the next year coming.

Yeah, I'd like to see a bit more balance next year between. All the lines especially with some armored figures. I'd also like to see some OT characters as they do need some 12" love. Just not Lando. :lol J/K As far as PT I want Dooku for sure next year as well as a Sidious from the Yoda fight. Now, that I have Maul I can be really easy going on who gets released. Whoever comes out IMO nobody can touch how nice these are. It's just not a close race.

Back