Looking back on '06 with Sideshow...

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think SS has done a great job, all things considered. The shipping could be better (schedule wise, and I hear that has been a problem experienced by many veterans) and of course there were snafoos in the production. All in all, more OT love, more variety, etc, etc. All the usual things we've been discussing from day one.
Ive known about SS for some time, but never collected till the SW license. I think SS did what was expected of them; raise the bar. There are always improvements to be made, pretty much like with the PT movies. We all know they are technically better presentaton wise, hell, they are 20+ years technically more advanced than the OT. But we also all KNOW that there were things that could have been better. Same with the SS line, there's always something else out on the edge that could be done. I hope they shoot to surpass the expected and continue to raise the bar!

Now for the board, which I am a relatively new member, I hope everyone stops to listen, stop being so offended by others opinions, newb or not, and just enjoy all the discussion.

DCFett said:
I think SS has done a great job, all things considered. The shipping could be better (schedule wise, and I hear that has been a problem experienced by many veterans) and of course there were snafoos in the production. All in all, more OT love, more variety, etc, etc. All the usual things we've been discussing from day one.
Ive known about SS for some time, but never collected till the SW license. I think SS did what was expected of them; raise the bar. There are always improvements to be made, pretty much like with the PT movies. We all know they are technically better presentaton wise, hell, they are 20+ years technically more advanced than the OT. But we also all KNOW that there were things that could have been better. Same with the SS line, there's always something else out on the edge that could be done. I hope they shoot to surpass the expected and continue to raise the bar!

Now for the board, which I am a relatively new member, I hope everyone stops to listen, stop being so offended by others opinions, newb or not, and just enjoy all the discussion.

Well said DC!! :duff

KitFisto said:
I'll go a step further and say that even Obi-Wan kept calling him Anakin during and after the duel. He didn't say "I have failed you Darth Vader. I have failed you".

While I agree that he had been given his Sith name at that point he also responded when Padme and Obi-Wan kept callinghim Anakin.

And Tyrannis went by Count Dooku ans Sidious by Palpatine...

As Yoda stated to Obi-Wan "The boy you tought is gone. Consumed by Darth Vader"

He became Darth Vader the second he pledged himself to Sidious.

And Tyrannis went by Count Dooku ans Sidious by Palpatine...

As Yoda stated to Obi-Wan "The boy you tought is gone. Consumed by Darth Vader"

He became Darth Vader the second he pledged himself to Sidious.

Yeah, but Tyrannis also answered to "Dooku" even after everyone knew he was a Sith. Being given a Sith "name" does not mean your old name goes away forever.

Vadrer did say "That name no longer has any meaning to me" in ROTJ, but in that case it was MANY years later and I think it came from a place of his own torment remembering who he used to be and seeing what he had become. Luke said he could feel the good in Vader...the conflict. I believe that conflict was always there and he just had no reason to allow the good out until Luke came along.

WooHoo! See the conversations!!!

I rather like the "Vaderkin" moniker :)

SO, I dont personally consider Darth Vader (Vaderkin) a seperate figure alltogether and I found it quite tongue-n-cheek to make him the first of the Sith line. AND the fact that SS made this a convention exclusive and not widely distributed, I tend to believe they thought it was too! I might have thought different if he was cindered and ashed up, but that's a maybe. Im of the camp that an eye repaint don't a new figure make! :)

I've been ecstatic over the SW line so far. I'd had hoped for years that Sideshow would somehow get the rights to make these figures but never actually believed it would happen. Sure there have been a few issues here and there. But with every figure I've been very happy and they are all displayed prominently in my collection!!!

I have passed on a few figures (Kit, Plo, 2 Rebels, and Ventress) but that was due to not really caring about the character than the quality of the figure.

Can't wait to see what other great figures we have coming from Sideshow!

I definitely consider Vaderkin a Sith and a great spot in the LOTS line what really got me though is how much better Vader was painted then his Anakin Counterpart...

For me the Sideshow 1/6 Star Wars line has been a huge letdown,mainly because they have generally been so poor. Having seen what other 1/6 companies are capable of I hugely regret buying the few Sideshow's that I did and would sooner pay out more $ for something that looks genuinely high quality. The Sideshow die hards can kid themselves all they want that the SW figures are top notch but the reality is that aside from the headsculpts these figures are not a whole lot better than Hasbro's and it would take a huge improvement in quality (starting with the outfits and the base body) before I considered buying them again.

bcm77 said:
For me the Sideshow 1/6 Star Wars line has been a huge letdown,mainly because they have generally been so poor. Having seen what other 1/6 companies are capable of I hugely regret buying the few Sideshow's that I did and would sooner pay out more $ for something that looks genuinely high quality. The Sideshow die hards can kid themselves all they want that the SW figures are top notch but the reality is that aside from the headsculpts these figures are not a whole lot better than Hasbro's and it would take a huge improvement in quality (starting with the outfits and the base body) before I considered buying them again.

Did you collect SSC before SW? If you did, you would see the extra work that goes into these figures. The SW and LOTR lines are exceptionable. I think people who have collected SSC for years can see that these figures are quite good.

bcm77 said:
....these figures are not a whole lot better than Hasbro's and it would take a huge improvement in quality (starting with the outfits and the base body) before I considered buying them again.

Man I think someone is kidding themself and it aint us.

Windu7.jpg

bcm77 said:

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

SSC figures are not better than Hasbro? Is there something in the water? :confused:

bcm77 said:

Did you click on the wrong webpage address? Surely you don't belong on a board mainly given to Sideshow products. :confused:

pixletwin said:
Man I think someone is kidding themself and it aint us.

Windu7.jpg

Ewww. This is probably not the BEST example, but it get's the point across. As everyone knows, I didnt particularly like the Mace, and mine showed up and his eyes look like he's been on drugs, but the Hasbro/SSC comparison argument was put to bed a long time ago. By that I mean there is no comparison. Surely you jest my good man!

Sorry, off topic!

LOTRFan said:
Did you click on the wrong webpage address? Surely you don't belong on a board mainly given to Sideshow products. :confused:
Yeah, I always find it funny when someone can't understand that people who post on a message board named "Sideshow Freaks" would enjoy Sideshow product so much. It'd be like going to the Medi World board and questioning why everyone their likes Medicom so much. The names are pretty self-explanatory.

LOTRFan said:
Did you click on the wrong webpage address? Surely you don't belong on a board mainly given to Sideshow products. :confused:[/QUOTE

For the record I happen to think their PF figures and 1:1 busts are the best SW collectibles out there and am looking forward to receiving my PF Boba Fett more than any other SW item I've owned and I will also buy the PF Obi-Wan,Darth Vader & Princess Leia somewhere down the line as well. Just because I don't like the 1/6 figures is no reason for me not to post here. Of course I was being over the top with the Hasbro remark but it's amazing how some people react when something they like so much is questioned. The truth is I really liked Jedi Luke but since then the figures I wanted most have each had varying issues which have been enough to put me off the entire line unless the quality improves. I think Sideshow could really set the 1/6 world alight if they were to improve the quality of the outfits and base bodies to the kind of standards that the Medicom or Hot Toys figures have (And no,I don't think either company is perfect just as I don't with Sideshow) . It would probably mean a big price increase but I doubt I'm the only one that wouldn't mind paying extra if it meant a better quality product.

bcm77 said:
...but it's amazing how some people react when something they like so much is questioned. ....

Not sure whats so amazing about that. I would expect that reaction, actually. :rolleyes:

Back