Look How Far We've Come

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The quality of this line is unquestionable. I have all the regular edition in the photo except asajj ventress.

One thing to take note though, extra care is needed when handleing these collectibles.

At least my Yavin Luke's belt buckle and one Dejarik creature from the Holochess Board set is broken... for now.:google

Anyone else broke anything?

Definitely these, while not in the $100-$150 range, are expensive and at times, delicate, figures. I equate care with cost, so for the investment I make in these I handle them very gently and with respect for the materials and in doing so, haven't had a break yet. I used the plastic shipping tray to tuck the chess players away when the table isn't out to protect them.

Great pic Maulfan. The Yavin Luke reminds me of the young Ringo on the Sgt. Peppers cover. :lol

sgt_pepper.jpg

While I'm certainly glad SSC has the license and had put out a more grown up and professional version of SW toys, I think Hasbro still did a commendable job giving us product at 1/3 the price.

Hasbro did a nice job for what they are. I don't think its really fair to judge Hasbro to SS because they're not the same just as compairing a custom piece in which a person can take forever isn't fair to a normal piece.

Hasbro did a nice job for what they are. I don't think its really fair to judge Hasbro to SS because they're not the same just as compairing a custom piece in which a person can take forever isn't fair to a normal piece.

I agree. I think its fair to criticize Hasbro within the context of what they did, but not in the context of what Sideshow or Medicom can do.

If anyone can name $20 retail product that exceeded the Hasbro line, I'd like to see it. IMO I don't think you can.

This isn't meant as a bash on SSC, but I think its much easier to find product in the $40-$60 range (such as Dragon or DID) that competes closely with the quality of Sideshow.

I wasn't trying to compare the 2 in the sense that Sideshow is doing better than Hasbro within the same budget and context. I was just saying that as Star Wars collectors of figures in a 1/6 scale, Sideshow has brought us a long way from what was available to us for many years, not to say Hasbro couldn't have done better in an SSC price range, they were what they were, but not the most stunning thing and now we're getting the quality of figure we've dreamt about since Hasbro started making the modern 12" line.

It's a lot like old school special effects films compared to today. The older, lesser effects still have a value, but it's undeniable how far you've come from there, and in both the figure and effects cases, it's a great time to enjoy the abilities of the people taking the reigns these days.

I agree with Maul Fan... To say that, after all you have had to eat in order to survive was bugs and tree bark, and then all of a sudden find a three-course meal-isn't putting down the fact that the bugs and tree bark kept you alive... But who wouldn't rather eat a three-course meal?

As a collector in 1996 thru about 2001 I honestly can say I didn't think there was much better out there.

I was about 18-23 at the time and I didn't have a lot of funds and honestly, there weren't that many high quality uber collector lines out there to make you realize that there was something better.

So I was pretty happy with what I got for $20. If Hasbro had tried to sell that stuff at $40 (even with better quality)I would have balked in general to 12" figures saying they were grossly overpriced.

I certainly agree that the SW line has made huge strides, I see the Hasbro phase as something that was necessary and beneficial to the hobby.

I feel sorry for the kids and young collectors today who don't have cheap 12" figures to usher them into the hobby.

I wasn't trying to compare the 2 in the sense that Sideshow is doing better than Hasbro within the same budget and context. I was just saying that as Star Wars collectors of figures in a 1/6 scale, Sideshow has brought us a long way from what was available to us for many years, not to say Hasbro couldn't have done better in an SSC price range, they were what they were, but not the most stunning thing and now we're getting the quality of figure we've dreamt about since Hasbro started making the modern 12" line.

It's a lot like old school special effects films compared to today. The older, lesser effects still have a value, but it's undeniable how far you've come from there, and in both the figure and effects cases, it's a great time to enjoy the abilities of the people taking the reigns these days.

No, I know. I didn't mean to insuate that you said anything like that. I was just kind of making a general point to something someone had said earlier.

I feel sorry for the kids and young collectors today who don't have cheap 12" figures to usher them into the hobby.
I'm not a kid or young collector, but the only reason I got into 12" figures was Sideshow, so I'm not sure that you have to have been a collector of Hasbro's 12" stuff to get into the hobby. In fact, that Hasbro stuff was exactly what had turned me off of 12" figures in the first place. I thought they looked silly and (dare I say it?) too doll-like compared to the 3 3/4" figures. Of course, now that I'm interested in figures in this scale, I'm going back and examining the "acceptable" Hasbro stuff, and there's actually quite a bit -- especially if you're willing to do a little customizing. The non-humans (aliens and droids) seem to be particularly good matches for the Sideshow stuff because you don't have to worry about the likeness as much, so I plan to continue buying the Sideshow line and supplement it with cheaper Hasbro figures that Sideshow isn't likely to release.

I was looking over my collection thread yesterday and found it funny that a little over a year ago (August 2006) this was the full set of released SS Star Wars figures:

stillwaterd.jpg

And now to have this is just mindblowing!
SSCSW.jpg

There really have been a lot of great figures released so far, and with Ben Kenobi, Bespin Luke and the Sidious 2pack its just getting better and better :rock

Wicked photo, i like my SSc star wars figures more than any other i own. Now let hope we get the same again as i do like the expected and the unexpected from SS.
This is better the RS i checked in there last week and they had a bloody best 3 and worst 3 SSc figure thread, IMO there is only the Yavin Luke that was not what i expected from sideshow because of a bad paint app..

People diss the Hasbro stuff needlessly. At time I thought that they were the shizznat.

To be honest there are still some hasbro stuff that needs to be given props.

Count Dooku (Straight outta the box)

Sid2.jpg

Ki Adi Mundi (Albeit repainted by DA)

DSCN3345.jpg

AOTC Anakin (Repainted by FML)

Anakinset1.jpg

But I will definitely say with no small measure of thankfulness that SSC is indeed the greatest thing to happen to my SW collection since I traded a speederbike and four figures for an AT-AT in 1984.

It's true that the underlying sculpts are often pretty good, and I plan to try repainting some myself, but I don't think it's fair to show custom repaints of Hasbro figures as evidence that they hold up well compared to SS stuff. Also the bodies are atrocious.

Wicked photo, i like my SSc star wars figures more than any other i own. Now let hope we get the same again as i do like the expected and the unexpected from SS.
This is better the RS i checked in there last week and they had a bloody best 3 and worst 3 SSc figure thread, IMO there is only the Yavin Luke that was not what i expected from sideshow because of a bad paint app..

Hey! Thats my thread....:rotfl

I'm not a kid or young collector, but the only reason I got into 12" figures was Sideshow, so I'm not sure that you have to have been a collector of Hasbro's 12" stuff to get into the hobby. In fact, that Hasbro stuff was exactly what had turned me off of 12" figures in the first place. I thought they looked silly and (dare I say it?) too doll-like compared to the 3 3/4" figures. Of course, now that I'm interested in figures in this scale, I'm going back and examining the "acceptable" Hasbro stuff, and there's actually quite a bit -- especially if you're willing to do a little customizing. The non-humans (aliens and droids) seem to be particularly good matches for the Sideshow stuff because you don't have to worry about the likeness as much, so I plan to continue buying the Sideshow line and supplement it with cheaper Hasbro figures that Sideshow isn't likely to release.

Different people act differently, I would say that in 1995-1997 in no way did Hasbro's 12" figures look worse than Hasbro's 3 3/4" figures. Remember He-Man Luke and monkeyface Leia?

Ok, I'll admit that hasbro hasn't done great representations of Star Wars characters, but they did try new things like speeder bikes, taun tauns, sith speeders, carbonite Han, gammorean gaurds, ig88, watto, gungan rider, sand trooper lizards, droids, and a wampa. Looking back on it now you may wish that they never had the 12 inch license to begin with,but how many of us were haunting Targets for that exclusive speeder bike?

I certainly don't expect to see a Super Battle Droid or Sebulba or a Kaadu any time soon from SSC, thats true.

So how long did it take to set up that shot Maulfan?

I certainly don't expect to see a Super Battle Droid or Sebulba or a Kaadu any time soon from SSC, thats true.

So how long did it take to set up that shot Maulfan?

I'd guess probably 45 minutes or so, they all stood up pretty well no struggles there, but I had to test how wide I could set them up with the camera point I had, plust I want to be somewhat strategic in my placement of them and make choices on who'd have weapons and all. Add watching the ALCS on Fox to distract me once in a while haha. I'm contemplating doing a similar shot of all my Darth Maul merchandise, I'll probably do that tonight :)

Ok, I'll admit that hasbro hasn't done great representations of Star Wars characters, but they did try new things like speeder bikes, taun tauns, sith speeders, carbonite Han, gammorean gaurds, ig88, watto, gungan rider, sand trooper lizards, droids, and a wampa. Looking back on it now you may wish that they never had the 12 inch license to begin with,but how many of us were haunting Targets for that exclusive speeder bike?

I didn't have a problem...

endor.jpg

Back