Longbow Studios - Tom Hanks SPR head (Painted)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The head size isnt even that bad. I think you just have to use the right equipment and of course slim the body down...and use a small helmet...
spears023.jpg

Nice figure :D
I agree about the sculpt. It really isn't all that small if you tune up the rest of the figure. It does look small if all you do is throw on a uniform and a bunch of gear. If you take the time to slim the body down to realistic proportions and give the uniform and accoutrements proper detail work, to achieve better scale, it actually looks really good.
We did a Captain Miller figure ourselves on the eve of the sculpt release and, IOHO, it turned out better than we expected.

Why go to all the trouble to make every other part of the figure smaller, when he could just buy a larger head and start with everything close to scale? I am also working on a Miller custom, and I will have a new head sculpted before I buy one that is too small. It's a shame you guys won't be releasing any updated heads soon. It really is a great looking sculpt.

Thanks Sarge... nice sculpt ;)

It's not like I had to restitch any clothing or anything in order to make things more proportional. I just put a little thought into what parts I was going to use for this figure. I think with any figure it's a good idea to slim whatever body youre using to create a more natural looking body and allow the clothing to fall more properly. Most of the 1/6 scale figures have huge chests that create weird proportions which, in the case of the Longbow Hanks head, makes it look really small. With a few alterations the head looks fine.

Why go to all the trouble to make every other part of the figure smaller, when he could just buy a larger head and start with everything close to scale? I am also working on a Miller custom, and I will have a new head sculpted before I buy one that is too small. It's a shame you guys won't be releasing any updated heads soon. It really is a great looking sculpt.

I never said you have to make everything smaller. By detail work I simply meant that to achieve a more realistic profile you need to slim the body--as ryan1982 said, most figure bodies are fairly barrel-chested-- (unless you use a slim body already, but you almost always still have to take down the shoulders), generally wet the uniform pieces to get better wrinkle and drape effects and adjust gear pieces to get them to hang better. With all that being done, the head does look fine.
As for body types, until now I have been using DML nudes w/ dremeled torsos and shoulders. I also use SST hands modified onto DML wrist posts. But picking up the Ignite Ninja and using the Hot Toys True Type figure, I may just start using those instead. A little more pricey, but worth it IMHO.

What pieces of the uniform should I wet? I have EVERY piece of equipment that Capt. John H. Miller actually used... I dont know what pieces to wet. :confused:

What pieces of the uniform should I wet? I have EVERY piece of equipment that Capt. John H. Miller actually used... I dont know what pieces to wet. :confused:

I always wash the articles to be used w/ fabric softener. Then I put the articles on the figure while they're still damp. Over the span of the drying time, I check on the figure and tug and pull the clothing around to make it "drape" better.
Some people use a dilluted solution of hairspray (scentless) and water and apply it to the clothing. Then you can fudge the wrinkles around to get a nice realistic look and allow it to dry.

do you use a type of smudging material to make the appearence of mud, sand and light sand? they have kits that sell those and you just brush it on, wondering if that was easy or hard.

I use chalk pastels for the appearance of dirt etc. I also will use baking soda mixed with a little bit of paint and use that on the boots to simulate mud/ dirt. Some people use water colors but I prefer the pastels, I think they are easier to work with. Whatever your are comfortable with. Here's a few pics of figures weathered with pastels and examples of the boots weathered with some baking soda/ paint mix. Pics are crappy but you get the idea. Hope they help.
spears002.jpg

spears009.jpg

spears012.jpg

bastongeBOB036.jpg

bastongeBOB023.jpg

Great! I just need the headsculpt. I bought top-of-the line equipment for my figure, everything as good as it gets. I bought the New Line boots and spats. Just need the head for a good price.

Yeah, those are some good pics. I am having trouble with the spats or gaiters from the New Line boots and spats. The boots fit great, but the spats are a pain to get on.

Yeah, those are some good pics. I am having trouble with the spats or gaiters from the New Line boots and spats. The boots fit great, but the spats are a pain to get on.

soak the gaiters in hot water and then put them on. the wet material will make it easier to work with. Also, when you get them on and all laced up, they will shrink a bit while they dry. that way you get a tighter look.

I just bought all the pieces for a Sgt. Horvath (Mike) from Saving Pvt. Ryan. I am doing a Saving Pvt. Ryan collection.

Last edited:
I bought a Charles Winstone figure a while back, and noticed it kind of looked like Cpl. Upham... So I bought the Upham headsculpt and put it on, bought an M1 Garand and put the .50 Cal bullets around his neck. Looks just like him. Also, My Sgt. Horvath figure is complete, looks great! Waiting for Tom Hanks Cpt. Miller to come in, will put up pics when it does!

Last edited:
Back