Lights for Detolf

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found some RF remote controlled power modules at my local garden variety store (Canadian Tire) I can't remember the price but it was one remote that controlled 3 modules and don't think it even came close to $50. I use these for my non-LED setups ;) But yeah if you are in planning stage you should look into wiring your own LEDs For my LEDs I picked up RF remote kits ;) But yeah better make sure you calculate the power consumption as some of the cheaper kits really have underpowered power supplies.

You guy have to check out Shortrounds set up. I see it it in person and it magnificent. Looks like a show room display. And he has the wires all neatly tied and running down the side and out the bottom.

https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91011
IMG_3727.jpg

How did you stick your LED strip on the glass like that? on each shelf?

The double sided tape came on my IKEA dioder led strip set.

If anything, they cost like $3-5 a pack at Target/Walmart.

Has anyone got any tips on how to get the stupid conector pack out of the cabinet ( what the leds plug in to)

Got some dioders at Ikea because they said the color was white. Installed them in my Detolf next to my others and they were warm white not ice white. So pissed. I'll be returning them. You'd think Ikea would have gone back to the first ones after all the complaints/returns. Nope.

I'm sure that for every return they probably sell a few thousand sets, so it's not likely something they're bothered with. Most people prefer a warm white because it matches what they're used to in incandescent lighting and it's often easier on the eyes.

As an example, I use mostly warm white LEDs to light my cabinets except for special circumstances where I've also blended some cooler temperature sets.

I love Ikea, but I can't stand their LED lighting, so I just buy what I want from somewhere else. LED ribbon is better than the Ikea stuff in pretty much every way I can think of.

I know but I have to maintain consistency with my other Detolf lights and it would be too costly for me to replace all of the lights in my Detolfs.

Anyone know the best option for lighting acrylic boxes? I currently have some dioder lights in my detolf but have just ordered an acrylic box to do a Joker/Batman interrogation scene and wanted something to light it. Is there any good wireless lights around? Or better off feeding a wire through somewhere?

LED ribbon. Amazon or eBay.

[ame]https://www.amazon.co.uk/Flexible-KITCHENS-LIGHTING-RESTAURANTS-DELIVERY/dp/B007O4I34U/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1370267074&sr=8-2&keywords=led+ribbon[/ame]

Like that? What else would I need?

How much does it take to do one detolf? Might redo one of my cabinets and the acrylic case.

All you need is a bit of wire and a 12v power supply. This one is under 10 pounds: [ame]https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lighting-EVER-Flexible-Daylight-Waterproof/dp/B00860727K/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1370267653&sr=8-5&keywords=led+ribbon[/ame]

And this power supply can easily handle a few strips (of 3528 type LEDs, not the monster 5050): https://www.amazon.co.uk/LEDER®-POW...F8&qid=1370267653&sr=8-12&keywords=led+ribbon

If you want your shelves to all be insanely bright then you can use an entire strip for a single detolf. Otherwise you can easily light up 3 detolfs with that single strip by cutting smaller sections.

It all depends what you prefer. Check my office thread and you can see some examples of how I've used LED ribbon. For my detolfs, I'm installing a completely different lighting setup for every shelf, a mix of LED ribbon and single 5mm LEDs, trying to achieve a lot of shadow detail and a much more dramatic look compared to my other wider shelving.

Can I move into your office? lol amazing stuff!

Think I'll just go with a single strip per shelf, I don't want it too bright. Then acrylic case I'll wait and see what it would look like with 1 but might run it all round the top.

Cheers for your help!

Keep in mind that when I used the word "strip" in saying the power supply can handle a few, I meant the entire 5 meter length. The 4amp supply can do at least 4 or 5 of them.

These ribbons can be cut every 3 LEDs so that you can size them almost any way you want. A single piece about 12 inches long will easily light up an entire Detolf shelf. Two 12" strips, one on each side of a shelf will light it up like your figures are standing outside on a sunny day. Four of them (which would be all 16 feet) and it'll be like high noon at the equator you may not even get any shadows. ;) it will also spill a lot of light out of the cabinet and you'll probably light up your room fairly well.

The ribbons feature self-adhesive backing so you don't need anything else to mount them, but if you want to throw in a little creativity you can shim them so they point into your shelves at an angle. You can see this in my Hoth diorama.

I know this is a little off topic but I don't have an Ikea store anywhere near me and their shipping seems to be outrageous... Are there any other places where you guys are getting the Detlofs online?

Shipping is probably expensive because a Detolf weighs almost 100lbs and comes in two boxes. Other retailers have knock-offs of the design and I've previously seen some available on Amazon. [ame]https://www.amazon.com/Modern-Contemporary-Cabinet-Cappuccino-Bottom/dp/B000IN9BRC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1370747914&sr=8-2[/ame] $136 shipped (which is like a Detolf plus $56 shipping)

Shipping is probably expensive because a Detolf weighs almost 100lbs and comes in two boxes. Other retailers have knock-offs of the design and I've previously seen some available on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/Modern-Conte...9BRC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1370747914&sr=8-2 $136 shipped (which is like a Detolf plus $56 shipping)

No their shipping is ridiculous. I wanted to buy some additional glass shelves from Ikea for this Detolf. One pack of 3 shelves. Shipping was over $100. Screw them.

Back