Liberal parenting leads to brats?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What sort of relationship do you have with your mom and uncle nowadays? (If they're still with us?)

ive had long discussions with my mother and our relationship is good now. my uncle actually was like my dad and taught me everything i know about building, cars, and small engine vehicles. it was love/hate with him. they both said they didnt realize how bad they were to me and my brother. im cool with them now but my mom tries too hard now and as for my uncle, we hardly ever talk to eachother anymore. my family is a bunch of angry, self hating/centerd losers for the most part. im the only normal one it seems. im 33, no i dont have a child, but, i know full well what not to do and how not to handle situations. i think id be an excellent dad. i think my opinion matters in this conversation based on my upbringing, despite my lack of having a child.

.... no i dont have a child, but, i know full well what not to do and how not to handle situations.

Ive never understood people who claim they abuse their children because they were abused themselves. Ive always thought abuse in your own childhood would teach you the very reason why NOT to abuse you're own.

Ive never understood people who claim they abuse their children because they were abused themselves. Ive always thought abuse in your own childhood would teach you the very reason why NOT to abuse you're own.

Because in their twisted heads they think it's the norm. Kinda like wife beaters. Their fathers did it so they think it's normal to beat your wife when they do something you don't like.

For some people, they truly don't know any better. My mom used to beat me up pretty regularly. Marks/brusies and even blood. She and her older sister raised their kids almost exactly the same way, this is what they learned from their mother who was the only person scarier than my mother. My mom freaked out all of my friends. It is a cycle that can repeat itself. I tell myself that I'll do better than my parents though I don't have any children, yet.
I'm not a violent person but growing up in that enviromnet had a definite effect on how I judge things and process information. And I had to separate myself from my mom in order to be a sane, healthy & happy person.

i think people should understand there is a BIG difference between physical child abuse and disciplining your child. some like to bunch the two together.

i think people should understand there is a BIG difference between physical child abuse and disciplining your child. some like to bunch the two together.

I see a clear difference, but if physical force is a component of your approach to discipline then there are plenty of places in the world where this is considered child abuse.

In many cases the law is made to protect children from the worst examples of physical punishment, but it snares every parent in the same net. Having this law is essentially saying to parents who smack their children in any way, and however infrequently, that they are criminals.

My parents beat the crap out of me, and I'm still a liberal! Wait, did I misread...? :lol

Naw, in all seriousness, I don't necessarily think liberal parenting leads to brats. I think it really has to do more with the firmness of the parents. A lack of strength and order can lead children to be more unruly.

However, as much as this can depend on the parent, it can also depend on the child. As others have stated, some kids just don't respond to anything. I know a four year old who has great parents. They beat her you-know-what when she deserves it, and discipline her in all the right ways, and she just doesn't give two craps. She's the epitome of brat.

I also know "liberal" parents who don't spank their kids, and they have very well-behaved, respectful children. The kind that makes you say, "Why can't my kids act like that?" :lol

Ultimately, I think there's a lot of factors at play. I think we all know people who were good parents, but have crappy kids. I feel bad for them!

I used to get hit but very rarely & it didn't do me any harm, I deserved it if I did to be honest.

With my little one I try & explain & talk to him about what he's done wrong & he seems to take it in.

We're all got different personalities & we will all react differently so I think it's down to the parents to know how best to discipline but the problem is there's to many idiots out there. Some parents are kids there selfs

Naw, in all seriousness, I don't necessarily think liberal parenting leads to brats. I think it really has to do more with the firmness of the parents. A lack of strength and order can lead children to be more unruly.

In other words... liberal parenting leads to brats.

Back