Liberal parenting leads to brats?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fear has its moments. A kid that can do wrong without even a twinge of fear is a kid that has lost all respect. There is a time for a healthy fear of Dad.

SnakeDoc

:lecture this is the truth. I feared getting whipped by dad's belt more than anything else when I was a kid. Let's just say I didn't get into much trouble when I was younger.

I got the piss beaten out of me by my mom and uncle more times than i can count. Belts, kitchen items, closed fist punches with rings, kneeling on ice cube trays, ect. Im not lying when i tell you guys any of this and it made me respect people a lot more and have better manners. I was a horrible kid and now im a great person. If you have no fear at all you have no capability to feel remorse or sorrow. I KNEW when i "Fd" up it was going to be very bad. Eventually it smartened me up. I dont want to deal the beatings that i got but theres absolutely no question that it is a necessary tool. Remember when you first touched the stove? I bet youd never do it again.

probably OMW to do something great, again.

The worst kind of parenting are those who do it out of fear. "I WANT YOU TO BE THIS AND THIS, AND YOU CAN'T LIVE FOR YOUSELF."

If they do drugs, they will be punished beyond logical reason, without a parent explaining why the drug is bad. Just going NO! YOU SUCK A CHILD, and forcing them to turn religious....:(

Happened to a buddy of mine. Poor kid. Destroyed by his crazy parents.

The worst kind of parenting are those who do it out of fear. "I WANT YOU TO BE THIS AND THIS, AND YOU CAN'T LIVE FOR YOUSELF."

If they do drugs, they will be punished beyond logical reason, without a parent explaining why the drug is bad. Just going NO! YOU SUCK A CHILD, and forcing them to turn religious....:(

Happened to a buddy of mine. Poor kid. Destroyed by his crazy parents.

No. The worst kind of parent is one who doesn't care what their kid does.

Sweden, the first nation to ever ban the smacking of children, is apparently suffering entitlement blowback from its liberal attitude to child rearing:

https://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/li...nts-spoil-children-rotten-20131102-2wtjy.html

I administer smacks to my children - sparingly, and hard enough to sting but not enough to mark.

In some countries this would be considered assault. Even in countries where smacking is not banned, many believe this a form of child abuse.

Irrespective of this, there are plenty of people who maintain that smacking as a form of discipline just doesn't work.

To smack or not to smack?

i think 'to smack'. it gets the kid's attention and teaches them unpleasant repercussions for unacceptable behavior. lack of smack is certainly the main reason why children are out of control today. they know they won't get punished. can you imagine a world where adults did what they wanted because they felt like there would be no repercussions? true anarchy!

you hit it on the head DM and pixeltwin, they know they wont get "punished". the other methods the children "choose" if the thing being taken away really matters to them enough. the physical smack there is no choice, its inevitable and only avoidable through proper behavior. serious consequence brings anxiety that can change attitude in an instant.

"you chose.....poorly."

I mix and match the punishment...he's 2 and currently he's testing boundaries. He's a tough little one so making him sit in the corner devastates him more than a spank on the bottom but he gets both.

You have to find out what works best with each child.

I agree with Pix, the worst parents are the ones who don't care.

its funny. you go into a bar and act the same you will catch a swift beating. so we dont teach our kids from the get that they will be hit? they grow up all their lives never feeling that physical contact. they mouth off and get punched and actually get mad at the other person and say "what the ****, why did you hit me?". they have absolutely no clue because they never had to respect someone and think everyone is a pushover. great lesson, i see these morons all the time. i dont hang with people like that i disregard them and their whole genealogy. im not speaking of boudary testing toddlers, im talking about the real horror show kids that are older.

"you chose.....poorly."

I mix and match the punishment...he's 2 and currently he's testing boundaries. He's a tough little one so making him sit in the corner devastates him more than a spank on the bottom but he gets both.

I'm at that stage now. I struck my little girl in the butt once. I plan to only do that if there is something she is doing that could kill her. At the time she kept trying to stick things in the electrical outlet. She wasn't responding to the corner or my voice. She just smiled and laughed at me. (Which can be very entertaining and hard not to laugh in return). However a brief smack on the tush and she got the message.

I will do the same thing the first time she runs out into the street.

God we have our hands full right now. My daughter just turned two and my son will be one next month. They certainly do like to test us. It's teaching me patience though and I can finally say I know what real love is. Not that I don't love my wife, but man you really learn what love is all about the minute you become a parent. :rock

...My daughter just turned two and my son will be one next month. They certainly do like to test us. It's teaching me patience though and I can finally say I know what real love is. Not that I don't love my wife, but man you really learn what love is all about the minute you become a parent. :rock

I had two kids 15 months apart. No doubt your hands are VERY full. :lol

I kinda miss those days though. :(

I had two kids 15 months apart. No doubt your hands are VERY full. :lol

I kinda miss those days though. :(

Thats what people keep telling us. We get "Enjoy them" a lot. Which we make every effort to do fun things with them and so on. However, I will say our house looks like a bunch of junkies are holed up in there and my wife and I are on short fuses (with eachother) most of the time. But that's part of it.

The good far exceeds the bad though. Love the good days! :lecture

Whoa.........not sure i got that. You lost me at "suck a child".

probably OMW to do something great, again.

Holy ****...haha. I hate the iphone. :lol

And no. A parent shouldn't ignore what a child does, ever. Punish the child for doing drugs. But don't not tell him WHY those drugs were a bad thing to do. I don't agree with the scaring a kid to a point where he can't function socially any more. It makes me sad.

I got the piss beaten out of me by my mom and uncle more times than i can count. Belts, kitchen items, closed fist punches with rings, kneeling on ice cube trays, ect. Im not lying when i tell you guys any of this and it made me respect people a lot more and have better manners. I was a horrible kid and now im a great person. If you have no fear at all you have no capability to feel remorse or sorrow. I KNEW when i "Fd" up it was going to be very bad. Eventually it smartened me up. I dont want to deal the beatings that i got but theres absolutely no question that it is a necessary tool. Remember when you first touched the stove? I bet youd never do it again.

What sort of relationship do you have with your mom and uncle nowadays? (If they're still with us?)

Holy ****...haha. I hate the iphone. :lol

And no. A parent shouldn't ignore what a child does, ever. Punish the child for doing drugs. But don't not tell him WHY those drugs were a bad thing to do. I don't agree with the scaring a kid to a point where he can't function socially any more. It makes me sad.

Why would you not want them to know exactly what the consequences were for doing drugs? I plan on sharing as much of that information as I can. If they don't understand what the end results could be they are not going to care.

Honestly, this makes no sense and well, sounds like something a teenager would say. :lol

I said but don't NOT tell him why. Not don't tell him why. :lol Tell him why heroin is a horrible drug, don't just tell him it's bad because badness.

Back