Legolas and Gimli maquettes delayed?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TripleCP

Super Freak
Reaction score
I just got an email stating that the final Flexpay installment of Legolas has been delayed until 1/2012, while Gimli will not begin until 12/2011 and finish 2/2012.

I also had the last installment for a Cobra Commander diorama delayed until January, as well.

Sounds like a major problem with statue production.

Thats very odd. Legolas product page still says September and Gimli in November. I don't have them on flex pay so no email for me.

better delayed than defective. Take your time SS, don't screw it up with shortcuts or shoddy quality. I'm happy to wait.

Just got the e-mail too, I was expecting the last payment to be next month for Legolas now it's January. Most of the SS pieces lately have been delayed, what's going on?

better delayed than defective. Take your time SS, don't screw it up with shortcuts or shoddy quality. I'm happy to wait.

Of course better to wait but with a line that I look forward to getting stuff from so much waiting sucks.

After racking up around $3000.00 in car repairs this Summer, this comes as welcome news to me. I might actually use this time to pick up the GTG maquette that I passed on.

If this is confirmed then finally, in 2012 probably will not see any developments in this regard would be Legolas, Gimli, Boromir and Arwen, and in 2013 with the production output of the Hobbit will see that you receive treatment maquette line.

If the pieces to improve is welcome, but after seeing the Comic Con, I smelled something that I would have these delays are not because I believe that having the sales they would like and so are slowing production of this line, and not improve the quality of the figures in this line, it is clear that it is my opinion and I can be wrong, but what I think and think.

Every day I am more convinced that Weta has to get the license of statues 1 / 6, because among delays by Sideshow and no novelty in view of the Premium Format line, it is wearing, lately I do not see very seriously by Sideshow .

Sorry if I'm really hard lately with Sideshow, but lately are giving me more trouble than joy, for a European buyer was quite frustrating that you have closed the store in UK among other things that I see when I see Weta look for their collectors and mind the views of the same.

Last edited:
If this is confirmed then finally, in 2012 probably will not see any developments in this regard would be Legolas, Gimli, Boromir and Arwen, and in 2013 with the production output of the Hobbit will see that you receive treatment maquette line.

If the pieces to improve is welcome, but after seeing the Comic Con, I smelled something that I would have these delays are not because I believe that having the sales they would like and so are slowing production of this line, and not improve the quality of the figures in this line, it is clear that it is my opinion and I can be wrong, but what I think and think.

Every day I am more convinced that Weta has to get the license of statues 1 / 6, because among delays by Sideshow and no novelty in view of the Premium Format line, it is wearing, lately I do not see very seriously by Sideshow .

Sorry if I'm really hard lately with Sideshow, but lately are giving me more trouble than joy, for a European buyer was quite frustrating that you have closed the store in UK among other things that I see when I see Weta look for their collectors and mind the views of the same.

Uh Oh.....

canoworms.jpg

If the pieces to improve is welcome, but after seeing the Comic Con, I smelled something that I would have these delays are not because I believe that having the sales they would like and so are slowing production of this line, and improve the quality of the figures in this line, it is clear that it is my opinion and I can be wrong, but what I think and think..

Are you sure that's not smoke you're smelling? :monkey3 Maybe you haven't figured this out, but LOTR is not the licence it once was. While none of the reg. editions of Legolas, Boromir, and Gimli are sold out yet [hardly something new or unexpected] the excl. editions are, with Legolas selling out in less than 24 hours! As for speculating SS is not happy with sales or the quality......really, what are you basing that on? :confused: First off, these maquettes are already the best representations of those characters ever produced. And secondly, unlike you, I have actually talked to SS rep's concerning the maquette line and they are very pleased at the response they have received so far.

What a great idea. :lol Let go back to the inferior likenesses and sub-par paint app's of the past. Let's go back to the cheap [both in cost and appearance], black, generic bases of the past with the creative and artistic appeal of cardboard. Let's go back to the ridiculously high, or even worse, open editions of the past. Let's go back to the part-time collectible company that produces about a dozen collectibles [across all lines!] per year.......now that is great thinking. :slap

So let's see if I have this straight. The company you want to take over the 1/6 scale statue line has:

1]. Released one statue [Gandalf] in their own 'character' line in two years....and they butchered the colour scheme.

2]. Released one minishield/lapel pin in last two+ years.

3]. Released zero John Howe middle-earth statues in almost two years.

4]. Released zero crowns/tiara's from a line they announced two and a half years ago

5]. Released five environments in just under two years.

And this from a company that only carries a handful of licences to begin with....does that about sum it up? :cuckoo:

What a great idea. :lol Let go back to the inferior likenesses and sub-par paint app's of the past. Let's go back to the cheap [both in cost and appearance], black, generic bases of the past with the creative and artistic appeal of cardboard. Let's go back to the ridiculously high, or even worse, open editions of the past. Let's go back to the part-time collectible company that produces about a dozen collectibles [across all lines!] per year.......now that is great thinking. :slap

So let's see if I have this straight. The company you want to take over the 1/6 scale statue line has:

1]. Released one statue [Gandalf] in their own 'character' line in two years....and they butchered the colour scheme.

2]. Released one minishield/lapel pin in last two+ years.

3]. Released zero John Howe middle-earth statues in almost two years.

4]. Released zero crowns/tiara's from a line they announced two and a half years ago

5]. Released five environments in just under two years.

And this from a company that only carries a handful of licences to begin with....does that about sum it up? :cuckoo:

What's the point of a post like this? How do you get so angry over a simple comment and start attacking a quality company so venomously?

You said yourself, LOTR isn't the line it once was. At the moment. Have SS really released as many LOTR products this year than Weta? Not substantially.

Inferior likenesses - most of the statues were spot on. Aragron, Legolas and Eowyn are the only ones that spring to mind as could be better.

The bases - "The understated, elegant simplicity of the base design was specifically chosen and art directed by Richard Taylor, making the choice to stay away from a highly ornamental or elaborately themed base to evoke a more refined, classical sensibility".
Achieved in my opinion. If you have issues, take them up with Richard Taylor. Do you know for a fact they went that way because they're cheap? Personally i don't mouth off unless i know the facts.

Edition sizes were set by Sideshow. Conveniently over-looking that.

Seriously, you say you have nothing against Weta, own a few of their products, them come out with crap like this :slap

I always saw the recent past as being about, well, the recent history of licensing of these pieces. I mean its odd that we have two companies producing things in different scales and formats for the same line, which used to work together. I also don't think its fair to criticize old product against new product when trying to predict what the producer of the old product would do if they had the same opportunities. All sculpts of humans have gotten better through the years haven't they? This is like saying you wouldn't want Kenner (if it still existed) getting the license for new Star Wars toys (although they actually did) because the ones from the 70s were stiff and poorly articulated. That's progress. For the day I think most of Weta's offerings were awesome and some have yet to be topped. Yet. Small company issues are annoying though - lack of product, delays, and QC issues (which I think Weta handled much better than a larger company like SS would have). "Prototype subject to approval" means we have a license to screw you, suck it up.

Ironically, Weta's lack of product must reflect their being busy with making all the real props for the Hobbit that SS will then come along and copy for their inevitable Hobbit statue line.

Sometimes I hope SS makes 8 of 9 of the Fellowship only, just to hear woodsy spin it :) I can just hear it now. "Eh, Merry and Pippin are kind of the same thing aren't they" ;)

Legolas and Gimli still have the same product release dates as they did a week ago. Maybe they didn't get moved back.

I too got the flexpay schedule changes, but nothing was updated in the newsletter. Hmmm.:dunno

Quick! To Sideshow's Customer Service! They'll have an answer

BRB.

Just shot them a message asking for clarification on the issue. I will let you guys know when I get a response. It'll be a bummer to have them delayed (I was really looking forward to seeing Legolas soon), but I can certainly stand to wait on some of that payment for now.

i don't want them delayed. i was looking foward to getting Legolas soon.

in the newsletter, it had the "Legolas will be sliding into collections soon" last chance pitch in the LOTR section. but who knows when these newsletters was put together.

Back