latest PS3 Firmware 2.70

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slingblade

Super Freak
Reaction score
Has anybody else had probs with their PS3 freezing and not recognizing Blurays or erratic behavior with their PS3 since they updated to Firmware 2.70?

Mine wont even acknowledge you have inserted a disc in it anymore, I can still get on the Sony Store, stream video with TVersity, and do everything else like normal, but I cant watch movies or play games on it. I checked on the PS3 support forum and it seems ver. 2.70 has bricked a lot of peoples systems.

It started gradually, COD4 would lock up, Tiger Woods golf wouldnt load, or freeze in midgame, now nothing happens when I put the disc in. It was working fine before this update. I keep it clean, its got plenty of ventilation, discs are clean.

I also tried formatting it, restoring it, even re-flashing the update but nothing fixes it. Sony has told people they have to send it in for repair, for $150 bucks! Then they send you a refurb'd unit, you dont even get your original one back!

It seems to me, THEY broke it with the forced update, and then have the audacity to charge people $150 to fix something they broke to begin with.

:mad: :mad:

Ive noticed my had some problems reading blu ray but not games....and Spider Man 3 wont go surrong either but POTC at world ends will run perfectly :S

Slingblade - can you play DVD's (non blu-ray)? If so, I'm willing to bet your BD drive is broke, and yes, that's a $150 repair.

Slingblade - can you play DVD's (non blu-ray)? If so, I'm willing to bet your BD drive is broke, and yes, that's a $150 repair.

I think I can, Solidsnake was over a few days ago and we watched something on DVD no probs.

It ran perfectly up until this update, plus people on the support forum are reporting the same thing so I dont think the bluray player in it suddenly crapped out on me. Something similar happened about a year ago with one of the other firmware updates, people were screaming bloody murder and had the torches and pitchforks out back then too.

I heard a buzzing noise when I had put in a DVD after upgading, it happened once. Damn I don't got my receipt, hope nothing happened.

man this sucks...i really hate updating systems. there's always that voice in the back of my head praying that it wont brick my systems. (PS3 and 360)

I had the same problem with an earlier update, seemed to fry my entire PS3, i had to reinstall the the OS and it worked fine after

I had the same problem with an earlier update, seemed to fry my entire PS3, i had to reinstall the the OS and it worked fine after

How did you reinstall the entire OS?
I went to the Restore menu and did a system restore, but all that did was format the drive and set it back to defaults. I downlaoded the actual firmware upgrade (149 meg), put it on a thumb drive, and the PS3 said that it didnt find any newer firmware to update with when I tried. Anybody know how you can force a firmware upgrade?

Definitely sounds like your BR player is fried. I had this problem after the December update and they do charge you $150 to fix it.

^^that's retarded. their update ruins the system yet the owner needs to pay for it??? i miss the old days where there was no such thing as a system update.

Is there a way for sony to see if its still under warranty if you don't have the purchase receipt? I got it from best buy, its the MGS Bundle. Would best buy be able to pull out a history of old receipt?

Definitely sounds like your BR player is fried. I had this problem after the December update and they do charge you $150 to fix it.

The problem is, they dont fix it, they send you someone elses refurb, you dont get your original unit back.

I feel like going to bestbuy, buying another 40gig unit, sticking mine back in the box, and returning it.

The problem is, they dont fix it, they send you someone elses refurb, you dont get your original unit back.

I feel like going to bestbuy, buying another 40gig unit, sticking mine back in the box, and returning it.

Nope me and Mchavyck both got our original systems back and his still had some of his saves on it.

I agree it sucks having to pay to have it fixed. As much as the 360 breaks at least they fix them for free for the time being while Sony says that not too many systems are having problems and that the update does not cause this to happen. Yet after every update there is a slew of people who have or have had this problem in the past year.

Im gonna wait it out for a bit, hopefully they acknowledge there is a prob and a new firmware comes out SOON and fixes it, if not, I dont know what I will do. Im not getting $150 bucks extorted from me for something they broke.

Back