Krylon Fusion: Tough enough to be played with?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K07

Super Freak
Reaction score
Is there such a product that can be used to repaint plastic that is also tough enough to let kids play with the item without paint chipping or cracking? Krylon Fusion advertises itself as adhering to plastics without chipping or cracking but does that include items being played with?

I have an item on display that will one day be given to my son to play with but in the meantime I'd love to give it a different paint scheme.

The strength of adhesion of the paint onto the plastic depends on how you prepare your item.

Ideally, your piece needs to be lightly sanded, degreased, and primed accordingly to the surface. Sanding increases the surface contact of the paint, and the primer act as medium between the paint and substrate to really grip onto those tiny places, additionally with natural thermal cycles of heat and cold the paint will contract and expand at a different rate than the substrate it's on, and that makes the paint crack and pop off. The primer act as a sliding surface that'll be intimate to the paint, more so than the plastic, so they will expand and contract together at a closer, more forgiving rate.

That's as much as you can do. Manipulation will create shear forces, compression, friction to the paint, so you gotta have the best adhesive procedure done in the first place.

- Preparation: sand with a fine sandpaper, steelwool, etc.
- Cleaning: Use a cloth that don't release fibers (microfiber, etc) to get the debris out.
- Degreasing: clean with isopropyl alcohol* (after this step don't manipulate the piece with bare hands, use gloves).
- Priming: Apply a plastic primer in a couple of thin coats.
- Painting.

Krylon Spray varnish (Crystal Clear No. 41301) is allegedly made from a propietary ethyl methacrylate suspension (paraloid B 72). It has nice long term optical properties , but if you're willing to compromise, the polyurethane varnishes, as varathane, are tougher(more flexible and wear/tear resistant) at the expense of being less clear.

Reference: polymeric varnishes

I repainted a Power Wheel using Krylon Fusion and the paint holds up great... if it can take my kid running into things and hopping in and out of the drivers seat it should handle being played with. Now the paint can certainly scratch, nothing is buttle proof, but no cracking, chipping or flaking. And the paint sprayed fairly evenly.

Back