Statue Kotobukiya Spider-man Unleashed

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks so much jpsarri, I remember watching your review on Spiderman and it helped me make up my mind on him :)

Bowens are all 1/6th scale

No, ink was correct. Most BD statues are all 1/7 scale. Koto is 1/6th scale. If you put a Koto statue next to a BD one you will notice a slight difference. The difference between the 2 scales is negligible, but it's there. I often mix my Koto pieces with my BD ones.

You're all wrong. Bowens are 1/6.5 scale .....

:lol

Looking at it, this Spidey statue might be 1/7. Or maybe his pose makes him seem smaller.

You're all wrong. Bowens are 1/6.5 scale .....

:lol

Looking at it, this Spidey statue might be 1/7. Or maybe his pose makes him seem smaller.

AWESOME is the only word needed to describe the Koto Spidey. The pose does make it harder to determine scale. That is the same problem with the upcoming SSC MJ Com that some peeps are insisting is in Bowen scale. :lol

My Bowen Savage Hulk is visibly taller than my Koto Fall of the Hulks Green Hulk. Granted, the Koto Hulk is not standing straight, but it wouldn't matter if he was.

To be exact, the 1/6 scale (12") has always been called the "Bowen" scale, therefore Bowen pieces are 1/6th. Now, it is good to point out that Bowen pieces have increase in size in recent years to match up to the actual size (it is a well known fact that Bowen statues were undersized for a very long time although they were advertised as 1/6th).

Koto pieces are also 1/6th but they are a lot bulkier and a bit taller but they are still undersized (try to measure them with Hot Toys that also are advertised on the same scale).

PrototypeZ, Sosa's company of model kits, sells actual 1/6th scale statues ( measurely correct). Compare them with the Gentle Giant mini-busts (also 1/6) and you'll notice that they share the same size.

To be exact, the 1/6 scale (12") has always been called the "Bowen" scale, therefore Bowen pieces are 1/6th. Now, it is good to point out that Bowen pieces have increase in size in recent years to match up to the actual size (it is a well known fact that Bowen statues were undersized for a very long time although they were advertised as 1/6th).

Koto pieces are also 1/6th but they are a lot bulkier and a bit taller but they are still undersized (try to measure them with Hot Toys that also are advertised on the same scale).

PrototypeZ, Sosa's company of model kits, sells actual 1/6th scale statues ( measurely correct). Compare them with the Gentle Giant mini-busts (also 1/6) and you'll notice that they share the same size.
So Bowens are 1/6 now, but Koto's are bulkier & taller, but still 1/6, yet undersized? If Koto's are bulkier & taller, but undersized, wouldn't htat make Bowen undersized? Or am I unnecessarily confusing myself?

PrototypeZ FTW :D

I have their Ryu, but it's still not assembled & unpainted. Really nice. That Sosa can sculpt.

So Bowens are 1/6 now, but Koto's are bulkier & taller, but still 1/6, yet undersized? If Koto's are bulkier & taller, but undersized, wouldn't htat make Bowen undersized? Or am I unnecessarily confusing myself?

I have their Ryu, but it's still not assembled & unpainted. Really nice. That Sosa can sculpt.

Only Sosa's seems to be larger due to the inspiration for the sculpts such as Jim Lee or McFarlane who tend to design bulkier characters which I prefer mostly.

This isn't going to help much because I didn't take this shot to compare height, but you get some sense of difference here.

7360b338-184c-4fb6-a861-d06c4e2d10f4_zps24ea23df.jpg

Let me put it this way, they are "all" underscale. Every company has claimed to produce 1/6 statues but they were truly not. If you put them side by side, Bowen-Sideshow-Kotobukiya-Gentle Giant-Hard hero-Hot toys-etc, you will see that they are not all on the same scale. Even whitin different products of the same company.

Many reasons could be the cause of this. For once, artistic interpretation. Every artist has his or her own sculpting style and it is reflected on the statue size. Second, company and factory errors. Although unlikely in my opinion, it is still very possible. And finally, habit. After the first mistake was made, there was no going back. More statues were made to fit with the underscale bunch (as a business practice, you do not admit your errors in the open).

Kotobukiya is bringing the heat with a bit larger pieces and Bowen is paying attention. They are producing larger statues (or more accurate with the scale) to keep up with the competition. One of the mottos of Prototypez (you can fin it on the website) is to produce "true" 1/6 scale figures in today's market. These Street Fighter figures have the proper scale. Too bad that I don't have one to show you. :(

Last edited:
This isn't going to help much because I didn't take this shot to compare height, but you get some sense of difference here.

7360b338-184c-4fb6-a861-d06c4e2d10f4_zps24ea23df.jpg

I also have the Savage Hulk and I love it. It dwarfs all other statues in my collection (Koto or Bowen). The Koto Hulk represents Ed McGuinness style that is bulkier but somehow stokier. The comparison that I want to see is the Savage Hulk with the Upcoming Koto. I will probably make a comparison video of both (maybe a match up!!!). :lsvader

I think this one is still for sale at retail price at a Belgian retailer or at least close to retail. People who are interested can maybe send a mail and ask if they still have this in stock:
https://www.lacitedesnuages.be/boutique/fiche_produit.cfm?ref=KTOMK130&type=164&code_lg=lg_fr&num=12#.Ufq_5Jx7Dmc

Hi Im new to this Hobby..the only one's I have is a bowen logan by Ray Villafane and his sabretooth..(with batman PF / superman PF / batman 1/4 and Tony star on PO)..

Loved this spiderman and managed to get it from this seller for 173.47 EUR. Thank you!

Back