Kids don't like toys anymore

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I grew up taking a branch in the park and slapping it around pretending it was a sword. I remember Pogs, Furbies and other toys taking over playgrounds, it is insane. Now, all the kids are on phones or playing on their consoles. Heck I saw my boyfriend's nephew playing an Avengers game and he is only, what, 5 years old? I didn't touch a console until I was in my late teens.

Last time I went to a Target toy isle, it was so sad. I remember seeing a father was trying to make his kid happy, getting him an action figure, and he looked so bummed out. The kid said he wanted a video game.

Children these days are mostly raised by using their parent's iphones/tablets/consoles. Kids bored after school once they finish homework? You are tired after a day of work, kids wants attention? Toss your phone to them, there is a ton of free games ( IAP is your responsibility to turn off ). I remember back in the 90s, having a cellphone was a huge deal. Now, if you are a kid and don't have a phone nor a tablet, you are pretty much branded as a loser.

I found these to pretty sums it up from this article:

When the four year-old daughter of Aaron Archer, a veteran toy designer, got the chance to play with the plastic figurines produced by Hasbro’s Littlest Pet Shop franchise, she shouted with delight: “I love them—it’s like a pretend app!”

These kids are raised by brands easy technology nowadays. Back in the day, all the kids had was their imagination, some dolls & action figures to play with while you sat in front of a TV.

In Japan over 20-year-olds made up 23% of total sales in 2011. But only 3.5% of American toy buyers were buying for themselves last year.

Not surprising.

There were so many franchise sequels that when Hasbro introduced a giant two-foot –high Metroplex Transformer (“the biggest Transformer ever”) for $125, my reaction was, “Who but a collector is going to spend $125 for that?” Hasbro’s profits dipped by 6.3 percent in the fourth quarter of 2012. While its line of toys for girls grew by as much as 17 percent, boys’ toys declined by a substantial 23 percent.

I am actually surprised since they own a lot of IP and Brands such as Ironman, Batman and others considering the movies for those came out.You'd think little boys would freak out at the idea of owning an Ironman figure. Hasbro doesn't have much for girls besides My Little Pet Shop and Blythe Dolls in Asia ( Which is a booming doll market for the past few years ) :/

This hobby were in with 1/6 figures and such will likely die with our generation, anyone born within the last 15-20 years will not likely be interested in collectible toys. Those folks will now likely turn to buying vintage video games if anything to recapture there childhood.

It's sad but true. My cousin got an iPod last year for Christmas and she's only 7. When I was 7 I would spend hours playing with my Star Wars figures, not playing on rubbish apps.

My aunt was over from Ireland and bought a tablet for my cousins 6 year old.

It's quite sad how kids these days almost need the Internet and devices. They are weened on them. The next generation will be helpless and wiped out right away when Skynet takes over.

Toys suck these days

Action figures imo do. Far too much articulation.

What idiot gives a 6 year old a smart phone or tablet?

A tablet, not a big deal, albeit pretty expensive and easy to break at that age.... Smart phones I agree with. But I think we're talking about less than 1 percent of the population that does this. Probably even .000000001. It's okay Warpath. You don't have to be jealous of a 7-year-old. ;)

I'm not even kidding. I went to Walmart last night for some cheap games and hopefully some figures. The electronics.. I couldn't move. But the toy section, action figures and all, was deserted. And, they were fully stocked.

As time goes on and technology advances at tremendous pace, the definition of "toys" will also change.
If mom and dad are using their tablets, phones and gaming consoles all the time of course the kids will want that too. And it also depends on the kid...
Kids will always love toys, they just may not be the same toys that you liked or payed with.
It not like a wooden top woulda cut it for me what I was a kid.

Toy manufacturers have also played a part in promoting a shorter period of child engagement with a given toy through the relentless production of new toys. Fads and trends have a shorter lifespan than they once did, leaving kids less interested in a toy in a relatively shorter time.

I haven't read thru this entire thread, but the title reminded me of several years ago when I had an assload of old McFarlane toys gathering dust. Still in the package.
I decided to give about 20 of them to an inlaw's little boy who was about 8 or 9 at the time. I also included about a dozen comic books.
When he opened the box I think I was the only one excited. He looked at them like "What am I supposed to do with these?"
i actually gotta kick out of the awkward moment. So I just said "You can blow them up with firecrackers!". His mom immediately shot me an evil glare for the suggestion. :lol

I haven't read thru this entire thread, but the title reminded me of several years ago when I had an assload of old McFarlane toys gathering dust. Still in the package.

Wow, I just got a flashback after I read that. :lol
I too had an assload of those, don't even remember where they ended up.

One of my spouse's best friends has a 6 year old boy, when we go to see them I'll bring a few Hot Wheels and he loves them.
I think Hot Wheels and Barbie will still be around for a while.

:wave I won't allow a smart phone, but my kids, 3 and 7, share an iPad. Closely monitored and time regulated, no problem.

I see no issue here. I owned a Gameboy at age 9... if I can have a Gameboy at that age I am thinking kids can have iPads today. I mean, what's the difference? You can learn more on an iPad... it's still an electronic toy. Funny how much tunnel vision people have. Such hypocrites.

I see no issue here. I owned a Gameboy at age 9... if I can have a Gameboy at that age I am thinking kids can have iPads today. I mean, what's the difference? You can learn more on an iPad... it's still an electronic toy. Funny how much tunnel vision people have. Such hypocrites.

:goodpost: :exactly:

Also, technology can really help to accelerate a child's learning. So, if they prefer smartphones and tablets instead of toys, then I don't really see what's the big deal is. I used to play those LCD games from Tiger Electronics when I was a child. But man... Kids have access to a lot more cooler stuff these days. I'm kind of jealous, to be honest :lol.

Technology can really help to accelerate a child's learning. So, if they prefer smartphones and tablets instead of toys, then I don't really see what's the big deal is. I used to play those LCD games from Tiger Electronics when I was a child.

But man... Kids have access to a lot more cooler stuff these days. I'm kind of jealous, to be honest :lol.

This ^^^^

He gets it. A lot others don't. Granted the Smart Phone thing is too much. No kid should have that at any age..... IMO. But iPad-isque devices sure.

Kids don't need smart phones because texting, phone calls, racking up huge bills... not a good thing to get a kid on. Granted I don't see a 7-year-old texting or calling their friends on a smart phone. lol

This ^^^^

He gets it. A lot others don't. Granted the Smart Phone thing is too much. No kid should have that at any age..... IMO. But iPad-isque devices sure.

Kids don't need smart phones because texting, phone calls, racking up huge bills... not a good thing to get a kid on. Granted I don't see a 7-year-old texting or calling their friends on a smart phone. lol

Yeah, maybe not smartphones, but mini-tablets or iPod touches instead. But, now that you mention it, it'll be hilarious to see what a 7 year old would text their friends :rotfl.

The problem is that there is no physical activity involved in sitting around all day playing games on a tablet. I would want my kids outside running around and playing games. Not sitting on the couch playing "fruit ninja". I don't wan them associating physical activity with work and sloth with fun.
This is the reason my parents made me play outside atleast 1 hour a day (weather permitting) and wouldn't buy me a game system until I was 12.

Back