Kids don't like toys anymore

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tapes-busted.jpg

I guess it is just the way things evolve but I never thought you would have to include toys to this picture right here.
I would have never in my life guessed that toys would become obsolete. That just baffles me.

I remember when I was younger and getting gift cards or money for Christmas and having to wait at least a month because alot of the toy aisles in stores were bare. Not anymore!

Nah, they have new tactics now. They don't restock the shelves right away so that those looking for exchanges or purchasing on store credit from returns during the holiday break only get crap or pegwarmers.

Which is all, essentially nothing more than greek salad for, "I'm too busy to be held accountable as a parent." I'm surprised at your stance on this given you're employed in the service industry and have to deal with self-absorbed idiots on the daily basis (a result of this upbringing) who look at any outside human interaction as interfering with their daily routines and treat it as such.

And is this greek salad for, "that went completely over my head"?

The issue isn't extreme behavior vs. moderate behavior. If something is bad, then in moderation, it's only moderately bad? No. And on the other hand, if something is good, it doesn't go bad if you practice it in the extreme.

The self-absorbed aren't too self oriented. They're arrogant because they rate their worth based on the perception of worthlessness in others (which is a psychological orientation focused primarily on other people). Crying about them is just so much self-absorption to the effect that "they aren't paying attention to me". As a customer service professional, I've had over a decade of experience dealing with this behavior from the low end of mill town crack dealers and strippers to the high end of historic seaport corporate travelers.

Gravitation towards electronic toys isn't a reflection of bad parenting. It can be a vehicle for it, but that's no different than parents throwing expensive plastic toys at their kids to shut them up before iphones and ipads were the drrug of choice.

The issue isn't extreme behavior vs. moderate behavior. If something is bad, then in moderation, it's only moderately bad? No. And on the other hand, if something is good, it doesn't go bad if you practice it in the extreme.

The self-absorbed aren't too self oriented. They're arrogant because they rate their worth based on the perception of worthlessness in others (which is a psychological orientation focused primarily on other people). Crying about them is just so much self-absorption to the effect that "they aren't paying attention to me". As a customer service professional, I've had over a decade of experience dealing with this behavior from the low end of mill town crack dealers and strippers to the high end of historic seaport corporate travelers.

Gravitation towards electronic toys isn't a reflection of bad parenting. It can be a vehicle for it, but that's no different than parents throwing expensive plastic toys at their kids to shut them up before iphones and ipads were the drrug of choice.

I haven't said "electronic toys are bad" nor have I even inferred it. And you know that wasn't the message of my post but you attempted to minimize it in an effort to troll it. You're smarter than that.

Have to disagree on that one buddy. Iphones and Ipads are selling like hot cakes. If your argument is that everything is contracting, then toys are contracting worst than most other items. Toys have been in decline since before the 2008 crash.

'08 crash wasn't the beginning of the contraction I'm talking about. And yeah, toys have been sucking for a long time. Shelves have been getting weak for a while.

Just because iphones sell does not mean that most people can afford as much today than they could in '99. Reorganization of priorities would be a better explanation than assuming things are as good as ever.

I haven't said "electronic toys are bad" nor have I even inferred it. And you know that wasn't the message of my post but you attempted to minimize it in an effort to troll it. You're smarter than that.

If your explanation for why electronics are selling better than toys is that parents can't be bothered to interact with their kids, and that what distinguishes good parents from bad is their ability to moderate between one extreme and the other, then no, I'm not smart enough to recognize it as a reason to call out moderation as a useless concept as regards this problem--or any other. Thanks for pointing that out for me.

If your explanation for why electronics are selling better than toys is that parents can't be bothered to interact with their kids, and that what distinguishes good parents from bad is their ability to moderate between one extreme and the other, then no, I'm not smart enough to recognize it as a reason to call out moderation as a useless concept as regards this problem--or any other. Thanks for pointing that out for me.

I guess I was wrong. Neither your previous assumption nor your latter attempt are correct. I don't have the time to explain it to you so you'll just have to ignore it. :wave

Nah, they have new tactics now. They don't restock the shelves right away so that those looking for exchanges or purchasing on store credit from returns during the holiday break only get crap or pegwarmers.

There's tons of toys left at Christmas now, where in "the old days" there would be whole shelves and even aisles that were empty. I also remember when stores like Kmart and Walmart used to expand their toy sections at Christmas time. I don't think they do that anymore.

There's tons of toys left at Christmas now, where in "the old days" there would be whole shelves and even aisles that were empty. I also remember when stores like Kmart and Walmart used to expand their toy sections at Christmas time. I don't think they do that anymore.

Yes, but look at the toys on the shelves. You'll see the ones that were there pegwarming before the holidays. They put the new stuff out before Christmas and don't restock the new stuff until a week or so after the first of the year, leaving returns, exchanges, and store credit to mop up all the unsellables. Back when we were kids, that was never the case.

Yeah it's sad really. As an example, I recently visited my brother-in-law & he has 5 kids & they were all just glued to a Tv or hand-held. Later went round some friends house for dinner & they have 2 Kids & a baby. One was glued to a laptop the other to an iPad. When there Dad told them to put them down for dinner they flipped.

Yeah it's sad really. As an example, I recently visited my brother-in-law & he has 5 kids & they were all just glued to a Tv or hand-held. Later went round some friends house for dinner & they have 2 Kids & a baby. One was glued to a laptop the other to an iPad. When there Dad told them to put them down for dinner they flipped.

Sign of the times. When my niece was 2 she was already playing with the ipad.

Taken out of its provisonal context, nearly anything aside from breathing is going to land you in trouble if taken to an extreme. There is a sense of balance in the term that is missing from your definition. Making your bed is good. Making your bed 15 times a day is a problem. If you let something occupy a part of your life at the expense of other good things, it is no longer "good". I think Nam was referring to prioritizing, which kids need to get from their parents. If they see that family interaction and impulse control are less important than mere entertainment and instant gratification, the long term prognosis on their contribution to society is less than hopeful.

It does work well for those who lack the acumen to discern. They pick two arbitrary extremes that seem like reasonable limits that don't discriminate on the basis of IQ (lends obvious credulity for the credulous) and then choose an arbitrary middle ground. It's like having your hand held, while flattering with the illusion of independence.

A cute placebo, and good for therapy, but ultimately, meaningless.

What is arbitrary about appropriate use of electronics at a family gathering in a public place? You either agree with his moral judgement or you don't, but it starts to look like a strawman at best or condescending at worst when you begin to say moderation only works for people too irrational to properly appraise what is truly good or bad. I'm not sure what you expect when you essentially call someone else stupid (unless of course moderation only works "moderately" well for the "discerning" lol).

Back