Kaiyodo: Alien Big Chap

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The kaiyodo looks like the statue fell over face first and it got pushed back.

I see what you mean....the faces lower half should stick out more....the alien usually has a distinctly prominent chin....

I've just started looking into getting some Alien pieces and this has interested me. I'm new to this so I don't really know what's out there. Are there any other Big Chaps this size available from other companies? I do like the look of this but soft vinyl kind of turns me off. I was going to start with the Sideshow Big Chap bust but after reading all of the posts on here I'm hesitant to buy it as my first piece.

There's a couple of options currently .....
1. Gentle giant 24" kenner alien in classic black, glow (300 edition size-- I think), chrome silver (79 ed. Size), gold (79 ed. Size)

2. Kaiyodo 18" (17.7" actually) soft vinyl

3. Tsukuda 18" soft vinyl (based on kenner)

4. 22" neca big chap-- improved version 2015 coming soon.....

There's a couple of options currently .....
1. Gentle giant 24" kenner alien in classic black, glow (300 edition size-- I think), chrome silver (79 ed. Size), gold (79 ed. Size)

2. Kaiyodo 18" (17.7" actually) soft vinyl

3. Tsukuda 18" soft vinyl (based on kenner)

4. 22" neca big chap-- improved version 2015 coming soon.....

Thanks for that, I've checked those out and do prefer the upcoming Kaiyodo one. I might just pull the trigger on it.

Just thought I'd share these comparison pics here, since no one else seems interested in the gentle giant jumbo.

Here's my original kenner alien and jakks godzilla in relation to it

Main differences are, shinier plastic, bungee type elastic vs rubber bands for arms ( according to gentle giant), wrists are not poseable , and clear dome instead of tinted and slightly smaller relative to the head thus fitting better as the original hung over close to the top lip.
The figure is a little smoother than the original, but the finish shows off the details nicely.
I wish the paint job on the face resembled the alien more....it appears as if the original was sprayed on from above thus appearing as if kit from above, but that's ok.

The original figure sold by the toy hunter appeared to have a clear dome....if so, was possibly one of the aftermarket replacements, and if the wrists didn't rotate was probably repaired....either way I don't mind that the wrists don't rotate- less to go wrong, though luckily they are molded separately..

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

This figure is really, really sturdy and I'm glad I have one.
It's a beautiful piece-- I'd only get another original misb kenner if I could score one for the msrp of the jumbo.
Otherwise, the jumbo is a great piece, but it can be scored for less than the msrp as well.....

I'd love one just for the nostalgia... But that price is the reason nobody is interested. It's insane.

I'd love one just for the nostalgia... But that price is the reason nobody is interested. It's insane.

I think it's like the price of the Wampa if I'm not mistaken,....the preorder was $100 less, and the glow can be had for $200 less even though the retail is the same for all versions. The glow is limited to 300 or so pcs worldwide, the silver and gold each to 79 and the standard ....who knows ....
you wait long enough they're bound to drop, but it's a wonderful piece nonetheless....I did wish it were much cheaper though!

If I saw one for a decent price I'd grab it for sure. But for $500 plus shipping and tax etc, no. Glad you like it though.

If I saw one for a decent price I'd grab it for sure. But for $500 plus shipping and tax etc, no. Glad you like it though.

I didn't buy it for full retail...no way. Knowing there are deals out there I can't pull the trigger unless I get the absolute best deal possible. Look for an eBay auction where nobody is paying attention...those are some of the best opportunities....

I have the Kenner Alien and wouldn't mind having the GG, but that price was just too much.

I posted more pics on the actual gg jumbo thread.....
If you're referring to the kaiyodo, it's not yet out.

Bump, has anyone received this?

Ditto..I would be very interested in some in-hand pics as well. I have came across just one or two pics of the statue from conventions and it seem to look good.

However, on this board American sci-fi stuff made by Japanese companies are just not popular for whatever reason, maybe because a lot of collectors here demand **** movie-accuracy and can not stand any sculpt that's even a bit stylized...

Ditto..I would be very interested in some in-hand pics as well. I have came across just one or two pics of the statue from conventions and it seem to look good.

However, on this board American sci-fi stuff made by Japanese companies are just not popular for whatever reason, maybe because a lot of collectors here demand **** movie-accuracy and can not stand any sculpt that's even a bit stylized...

There are a few theatre pretty accurate and popular on the board here, like the Roswell statue sculpted by Yoshihiko Sano based on the original sculpt in Giger Museum ...this was the form from which the suit was made, and minor details were changed, like the addition of gloves, and elbow spurs.
Even the sega is pretty popular, t it's a small piece at 12"

Roswell:image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

All of the Sano Alien pieces are great imo (the Big Chap, BC bust, Dog Alien bust) and any of them would be a grail for me. However compared to stuff offered by SS they still pale in popularity. I guess for a lot of people the 'brand' still matters just as much as how good the product is, even though Roswel, Fewture, and Kaiyodo are also top-notch companies.

Anyway..back to topic...these are the few 'real life' pictures I found and I really like them, but would still like to see a few in-hand pictures before finally pulling the trigger.

16382315338_e384d2e227_h.jpg

10956518_950552088309487_3346189105757561413_o.jpg

34.jpg

Attachments

• 34_s.jpg
    34_s.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 225
All of the Sano Alien pieces are great imo (the Big Chap, BC bust, Dog Alien bust) and any of them would be a grail for me. However compared to stuff offered by SS they still pale in popularity. I guess for a lot of people the 'brand' still matters just as much as how good the product is, even though Roswel, Fewture, and Kaiyodo are also top-notch companies.

Anyway..back to topic...these are the few 'real life' pictures I found and I really like them, but would still like to see a few in-hand pictures before finally pulling the trigger.

View attachment 182243

View attachment 182239

View attachment 182242

I'm liking the look of that but like you I want to see some in hand pictures before pulling the trigger.

I'm liking the look of that but like you I want to see some in hand pictures before pulling the trigger.

Yeah..it's funny...if this was like a HT Marvel release lots of people would not hesitate buying just with the promo pics, or sometimes even without! HT Mk 45? - BOUGHT!

Please share if you do come across some in-hand pics. I tried to search in-hand pics of the previous Sofubi releases (Eva-01 and Iron Man 42) but not much luck...and those two are a lot more popular than the Big Chap.

Back