Kaiyodo: Alien Big Chap

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not very impressed. It does indeed look too stylized/idealized. Like an oversized Revoltech.

Not very impressed. It does indeed look too stylized/idealized. Like an oversized Revoltech.

It IS an oversized Revoltech! Well, by virtue of the fact that they are either sculpted by the same guy or the sculpt was mechanically blown up...though usually this stuff is digitally sculpted nowadays, so both might be the case.
I've yet to see in hand pictures also, but I'm expecting mine to come in any day....

I guess due to artistic biases or quirks sometimes stylization is unconsciously woven in.
Revoltech is stylized....considering japanese companies, when trying to be accurate, usually will include details like seams and zippers, and breathing holes as long as it's obvious in a movie or on the prop. On purpose? I think so, since many details were left out, peeling skin, details behind ribs etc....

neca is not trying to be stylized, though in a way stylized compromises were made to accuracy to allow articulation like around the mouth and jaw:puffy under jawline, square mouth-- like a wrench, vs scissors: it's this € instead of this <

I dare say even the cinemaquette appears more stylized than the sano piece....although the cm has the peeling skin whereas the sano does not, and that may have been an artistic choice.

The sideshow maquette is pretty straightforward other than a odd pose ( then again sideshow premium formats always have rather odd poses, as if a mime were pretending to be a certain statue had had a certain attitude). But then again it has a very sculpterly look...sculpted out of clay in the little details that are badly formed, like protrusions and tiny spurs which are sloppy...but not purposely stylized.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

The arms are posable at the shoulder. It's a nice sculpt, stylized, but nice...almost an Art Deco-like appearance, but the colors are nicely applied. My pics don't do it justice as they were taken in haste, but it's a nice figure :)

Thanks for the pics demorathis. I am still not sure if I will go for this guy or the new Neca 1/4 when it comes out.

Thanks for the pics. Please do take more pictures when you have a chance. I am still on the fence as well..

Has the front of his dome got a huge crack/seem line? Or is that just the packaging? Hard to make much out in those pictures.

Has the front of his dome got a huge crack/seem line? Or is that just the packaging? Hard to make much out in those pictures.

There is a seam just like the Revoltech...
The dome is PVC like the rest of it and is completely removable, so it doesn't sit completely flush, it's lifted a bit since he's lying down....so you do see the lower part of the skull....
but that'd just need a blow dryer to futz into place...it's doesn't snap into lace but it's a pressure fit...like the Revoltech....

.it's a nice piece though it's not detailed in terms of surface texture...that's where the paint job shines.

And yes the arms are articulated at the shoulder!

It IS an oversized Revoltech!

:lol Yeah, I suppose so. It does look nice. Maybe not for me, but as far as Alien pieces go it's a good-looking one. Glad that companies are getting back into these because there aren't very many options for larger-scale Alien figures that look decent. We have HT's attempts, but... well, we know how those turned out.

Thanks for the pics. I just looked up the neca 1/4 and it looked very nice. It'll be one or the other.

The thought never occurred to me....it's very smooth and less realistic than the neca is, but the mouth never bothered me...maybe cuz it's so similar to the kenner mouth from certain angles...

Glossy! Any close ups of the mouth/skull area? I quite like it for what it is, might grab one if I can find it for a decent price.

Hi and thanks but i don't have any Neca figures so i can't answer you.
About the Kaiyodo it's look like a statue because it don't have any joint : ) that's a good point, but remember this one is in PVC and maybe too shiny.
Imo this figure/statue is not bad but i prefer a real statue ^^ I bought it on eBay from Japan, i don't know if i will keep it or not.

Here another pictures more detailed.

Wow! Thank you very much! Your collection is to die for...:clap. I will go for Neca. I like kaiyodo's but I think that neca's with the 30 articulation points, the deluxe threatment and also because next year we wiñl also have the 1/4 warrior, it's will be also a good choice! Thank you very much and again congratulations for your collection:)

Hi and thanks but i don't have any Neca figures so i can't answer you.
About the Kaiyodo it's look like a statue because it don't have any joint : ) that's a good point, but remember this one is in PVC and maybe too shiny.
Imo this figure/statue is not bad but i prefer a real statue ^^ I bought it on eBay from Japan, i don't know if i will keep it or not.

Here another pictures more detailed.

Actually there are shoulder joints..So the arms are adjustable at the shoulder where the arms pop in...
But that's it.

Back