Just for you guys... SILENT INTERLUDE

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great issue. I have it bagged and boarded at home somewhere. And you gotta love the Larry Hama pencils.

If I remember correctly, this was one of three "silent" issues. The others were G.I. Joe Yearbook 3, where Scarlett and Storm Shadow infiltrate the Cobra Consulate to rescue Snake Eyes, and "SFX" (I can't remember the actual G.I. Joe issue) where teh Red Ninja's and Zartan attempt to kil Storm Shadow.

one of the best issues ever, although, i do remember at the time people ^^^^^ing that they 'read' it in 5 minutes and they preferred words in thier comics...idiots...it was awesome...

I'm a little confused why Snake Eyes was included at all. Scarlett got out on her own. There was no need for Snake Eyes in the comic. Yeah I understand he is on a rescue mission, but the fact he didn't do anything to get Scarlett out seems poorly planned.

Yeah, he catches a sword to save her, but that is only after she spots Snake Eyes and comes back to save him. She was on her way out already.

Other than that, this was very cool to 'read.' This just proves you don't need any words in a comic for there to be a story and to understand what is going on.

The issue was a showcase of 1) Snake-Eyes and Scarlett's true love for one another as either would sacrifice themself for the other AND they were truly equals as she was not just a damsel in distress as most female comic characters were portrayed 2) it happened immediately following the events where the Baroness was seemingly killed and Destro picking up the fallen chess piece is always a powerful image (the brooding bad guy that has lost what is most precious) and 3) it gave the first hint that Snake-Eyes and the equally mysterious Storm-Shadow were connected in some way as you see the matching tatoos...

It was a phenomenal issue (and I'm happy to say my copy is resting comfortably upstairs along with its 80+ brothers always willing to give a once-over) and another example of why great storytelling and characters do not have to be re-imagined by Hollywood studios and directors.

I really like Hama's facial expressions. Anyone know off hand if he penciled any other issues?

Yeah, Khev, Hama also penciled the first issue of the "Origin of Snake-Eyes" two issue arc (I believe it was issue 26). His pencils were really detailed; I remember in the issue there's a drawing he did of Stalker carrying a suppressed M16 with a Star light scope and thinking "wow". His pencils were really "clean" for lack of a better word, the weren't heavily inked as the case is usually. Too bad he didn't fill in script and pencils duty; except for the Ron Wagner run on pencils, I really felt that the art wasn't as good as it could be.

The issue was a showcase of 1) Snake-Eyes and Scarlett's true love for one another as either would sacrifice themself for the other AND they were truly equals as she was not just a damsel in distress as most female comic characters were portrayed 2) it happened immediately following the events where the Baroness was seemingly killed and Destro picking up the fallen chess piece is always a powerful image (the brooding bad guy that has lost what is most precious) and 3) it gave the first hint that Snake-Eyes and the equally mysterious Storm-Shadow were connected in some way as you see the matching tatoos...

It was a phenomenal issue (and I'm happy to say my copy is resting comfortably upstairs along with its 80+ brothers always willing to give a once-over) and another example of why great storytelling and characters do not have to be re-imagined by Hollywood studios and directors.

:lecture :clap :lecture :clap :lecture :clap

:rock

Nice, I'm gonna have to pick up a copy of this someday. I have it in TBP form, but this is a key issue, and would look great displayed with my GI Joe collection.

Yeah, Khev, Hama also penciled the first issue of the "Origin of Snake-Eyes" two issue arc (I believe it was issue 26). His pencils were really detailed; I remember in the issue there's a drawing he did of Stalker carrying a suppressed M16 with a Star light scope and thinking "wow".

I was just looking at that issue the other day and thinking how awesome that very same version of Stalker would look as a 12 inch figure. Funny I didn't even realize that Hama did the art as well. Too bad they didn't just let him pencil the last few years of the comic.

I think this is one of those comics that anyone who was remotely into comics at the time remembers. I blame issue 21 for getting me hooked on the rest of the series!

It started with issue 33 for me. Picked up my very first comic book in a 7-11 on the way back home to Virginia from a week long vacation with the family at Disney World. A listing of comic shops somewhere in those pages led me to my first shop just up the road from home. Then bike rides every friday for new comics for years. A ten year break during college and being a grown up. Then back into comics full strength for the past eight years, and SDCC every year for the past six!

Result: Almost 20,000 comics in my bloated collection! Thanks G.I. Joe!

:D

<a href="https://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=54941770">G.I.JOE Tribute</a><br/><object width="425px" height="360px" ><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"/><param name="wmode" value="transparent"/><param name="movie" value="https://mediaservices.myspace.com/services/media/embed.aspx/m=54941770,t=1,mt=video"/><embed src="https://mediaservices.myspace.com/services/media/embed.aspx/m=54941770,t=1,mt=video" width="425" height="360" allowFullScreen="true" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent"></embed></object>

Check this out, I can't stop watching! Awesome!

Last edited:
<a href="https://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=54941770">G.I.JOE Tribute</a><br/><object width="425px" height="360px" ><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"/><param name="wmode" value="transparent"/><param name="movie" value="https://mediaservices.myspace.com/services/media/embed.aspx/m=54941770,t=1,mt=video"/><embed src="https://mediaservices.myspace.com/services/media/embed.aspx/m=54941770,t=1,mt=video" width="425" height="360" allowFullScreen="true" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent"></embed></object>

Check this out, I can't stop watching! Awesome!

That choice of music is PERFECT. That alone brings me right back to that very moment in time. :rock

Back