G.I. JOE: The IDW Comics Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Will do! :duff

You pre-ordered the Attendee figure, right? If so, I hope you read really fast... because I've never waited in line more then 10 minutes or so to pick up my Sideshow stuff at SDCC. And that includes Preview Night. It's usually super-quick.

I know it's quick, I'm just looking to stir the pot hahahahahaha

I'll just read them while in line for hall H.

I get the regular issues.. but passed on Cobra.. for some reason the Art didn't sit well with me.

I bought the first few issues and really liked the story lines but the books seemed light as there were more adds then needed and their should have been more comic pages per issue so I stopped buying. I am planning on picking up the trades and hopefully get more bang for my buck.

Havent been to a comic shop in ages, most of them closed down. What does one of these go for, 4$ or 5$? Id like to give these a look.

i've been reading them all so far well not the movie tie in stuff.

the only adjustments (not really a complaint just personnel prefferences) i really would like to see is for Flint to be given a bigger role and for Lady Jaye to join the cast and take on a very big role. Other then that I'm enjoying it.

oh one more thing do the comics seem really short to anyone else? maybe comics have gotten shorter over time or something but these seem really short.

Yeah, most comics are 24 pages these days. IDW likes to pack theirs with a bunch of ads at the end which makes them seem even shorter.

Actually IDW's books run the standard 22 pages. there are ads at the back yes but unlike Marvel and DC they don't interrupt the story. They have the same number of ads as everyone else just the big guys tend to distribute them throughout the issue so you may not realize there are as many.

Yeah, most comics are 24 pages these days. IDW likes to pack theirs with a bunch of ads at the end which makes them seem even shorter.

yeah i was starting to wonder about it because it seems like the second i get into the story it's over.

i was out of comics for a long time and have only been reading a few series like captain america and joe recently. i got back into it for the end of first ddp series and their reboot (still mad they killed off jaye) and i'm liking the new stuff so far. i was too young for the original marvel comics so i don't have to deal with getting mad about the stuff they changed from them but i was young enough to love the cartoon and the toys so i'm more excited about seeing some of the cartoon joes than the original 13.

All right IDW definitely has a strike against them. They've got Volume 6 of Classic GI Joe up for preorder on Amazon (issues 51-60) and they decided to really go half-assed and are using a J. Scott Campbell image featuring Roadblock and Shipwreck in their Devil's Due attire. Way to keep it "classic." How hard would it have been to have just used one of the original covers from that run?

41IiVozrs-L._SS500_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Classic-G-I-Joe-Larry-Hama/dp/1600105459/ref=pd_sim_b_4

Last edited:
The phrase "never judge a book by it's cover" seems appropriate here. :cool:

In this case the cover is a huge turn-off. It isn't too hard to find reader copies of issues 51-60 for $1 a piece. All a TPB really offers in addition to slightly more convenience in reading is an attractive package to store the issues upright on a shelf. The first five volumes used Campbell art, not an appropriate style for comics of that era to begin with, and now with this TPB its Campbell versions of a non-canon failed fanmade Joe universe. Very annoying. Now I wonder if they'll use live-action movie pictures as future "classic" covers when their stock Campbell art runs out. :yuck

The phrase "never judge a book by it's cover" seems appropriate here. :cool:

:lecture :lecture :lecture Given that all the others have been JSC covers, It should be no surprise to anyone that they'd continue with it. But honestly, I could care less. You're right, it's about what's inside. And what's inside allows me to re-enjoy the Marvel stories without risking damage to my originals and allows a younger generation to enjoy what is the heart of G.I. Joe without having to spend a life savings to track down back issues. Hell, it might even trick the DDP fans into enjoying REAL Joe stories. Bottom line, you're only gonna see the binding when it's shelved away. ;)

Back