Jurassic Park Collectible Thread (JP, TLW:JP, JPIII, JW, JW:FK)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can confirm the Target website is inaccurate in its stock count. Several stores that were listed as not having stock (at least of the few figures actually listed online) indeed had figures.

Bloody hard to find a decent EC Rex, though. I could very well be far too obsessive about this, but most of the figures I've come across have inexplicable scrapes on the nose. Inexplicable because it doesn't seem like the snout even sticks out past the boundaries of the box.

Given their dumb packaging decision, I think it's unavoidable.

I'm certainly starting to think so. Finally found a decent one tonight. I don't expect perfection from a $20 mass-market kids' toy -- and my new one isn't perfect -- but it's within the margins of acceptability.

Also found a Mosasaurus at the same Target. Nifty toy, but far too big for me to do anything with it. I like being able to fit everything on a countertop.

For space and money reasons I’m fighting to restrain myself, part of me wants to go nuts and rebuild my old Kenner collection with these figures. There isn’t really much that’s been shown that I don’t think looks good, the only real complaint I can think of is how quickly they came out with variants, like I’m good with the basic Blue, the BD looks nice but one is enough for me.

Same . Might make my dino collection again

Bloody hard to find a decent EC Rex, though. I could very well be far too obsessive about this, but most of the figures I've come across have inexplicable scrapes on the nose. Inexplicable because it doesn't seem like the snout even sticks out past the boundaries of the box.

Mine has a couple subtle scrapes and it came straight from a sealed Mattel shipping box, so it’s happening at a factory or shipping level, not even out on store shelves.

Target was fully stocked. Jumped on some of the legacy stuff. Going to bring my daughter today to see if she wants to put her Easter money on some. :1-1:

30085531_1909293552476060_4452947403011522560_n.jpg

People are grabbin' 'em quick here in FL

View attachment 405367

That's the case in my Walmart, that's a positive though...it means the line is blowing out instead of clogging the pegs like the Hasbro JW line did.

My Walmart moved all the Star Wars stuff out, and put all the JW stuff up overnight, stopped in the next day and it's all pretty much gone.
They had the JW human figs and one battle damaged SC Rex left. (not a fan of the bright red for the scratches)

I can confirm the Target website is inaccurate in its stock count. Several stores that were listed as not having stock (at least of the few figures actually listed online) indeed had figures.

Yeah, I can't find a decently painted EC Rex either.

Given their dumb packaging decision, I think it's unavoidable.

Sorry to hear about your SC Rex, hope you're able to get a good one.

Thanks. I got a second coming tomorrow. I'll keep the better one and return it. I'm not going to fall into this trap of trying to get a perfect one like I did with the NECA Turtles.

Couple images to share.

First, the white spotting on my EC, a weird effect but intentional.

75DF8E81-AEEF-4CFF-8A63-AADF294D9637.jpeg

The slight nose scuffing.

BE0FFED7-1488-4F3C-B011-A80F4D897AA5.jpeg

And this one to show how the Mattel Raptors scale with Papo.

80119F05-72AC-4301-835B-B6A8B66AF1C4.jpeg

All the EC Rex's I've seen in person have those stupid white marks right around the nostrils and it's distracting as hell.

I suck at painting, but I kinda want to get some black paint and dry to brush the eye sockets dark.

I should have picked up Ellie when I saw them stocked early at that one Target. Every Target I've been to since then hasn't had her. Otherwise, I've found almost everything I wanted. The Pachycephalosaurus I found from the Legacy series had bad paint apps and all the Stegosaurus figures I've seen have had paint chips on the tail spikes, so I'm still looking for those two.

With today’s pickups, I’m pretty much done until I see something new of interest.

All the pics did not prepare me for how large SC Rex is.

Local Target was decently stocked, Walmart was picked clean.

CDD224FE-7035-4C46-826B-5F4DB2B0FCF7.jpeg

Today’s haul.

F6FEB346-07B1-46F4-BFED-349C7410240F.jpeg

Winston Rex Collection

540F8217-C134-4F9C-83C1-BD604A75803E.jpeg

Jurassic collection.

8F9335CE-8573-4989-AE80-F943872ABBD4.jpeg

Is the big Rex in scale with the new JP figures? Or is he just a tad big? ("Big", I mean it is a dinosaur).

Picked up Grant, Ellie, Muldoon and a Jeep at my Target. Okay selection overall, I was just happy to find these ones. I would be tempted by that rex though.

Is the big Rex in scale with the new JP figures? Or is he just a tad big? ("Big", I mean it is a dinosaur).

Picked up Grant, Ellie, Muldoon and a Jeep at my Target. Okay selection overall, I was just happy to find these ones. I would be tempted by that rex though.

SC Rex is not to scale with anything, it's just basically Mattel figuring collectors and kids love Rex enough they'd probably enjoy a huge one and not care about how it scales with other things.

Of the three big Rex figures, consensus seems to be that the Thrash N' Throw is most true to scale with other dinosaurs and the humans. The Extreme Chompin' Rex isn't that much smaller and still looks plenty big with the other figures and I think overall looks nicer on display, I just can't get past the hip joint on the TNT Rex.

I pulled out my '93 Rex and it still holds up with the new figures in my opinion. Too bad he can't stand up.

I think the Extreme Chomping version is scaled with the humans around the same size as Sue, which is the largest specimen ever found, but they could apparently get bigger. So, I guess it'd probably fall somewhere between the Extreme Chomping and Thrash and Throw. I, personally, prefer the Extreme Chomping version as well.

I pulled out my '93 Rex and it still holds up with the new figures in my opinion. Too bad he can't stand up.

Precisely why I don't mind the slightly exaggerated foot sizes on the dinosaurs. One of the biggest pluses I would give Mattel on this line is the consideration for collector display and not just child play. Back in '93, collecting and displaying toys outside of Star Wars wasn't much of a thing, I think they were focused on play value and that's about it, which was ok, but figures like the red Rex had some problems. I love the stability these figures have, especially SC Rex, they really put in their work to make such a huge figure work, kudos to them.

Considering this is a toy line that is aimed at children as much as adults, I honestly don't have any complaints about anything Mattel has done, I feel like they went Hammond on this license and spared no expense.

Back