Joss Whedon, Nathan Fillion Set for 'Firefly' Anniversary Panel SDCC 2012

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The thing is I doubt the Science channel has the budget or viewer count to be able to do it. Unless they have an executive who's an extreme fan then there's not really a chance of anything happening from them. But I don't know who owns the Science channel so maybe they can do something.

Joss had said at some point that it was possible to include Wash somehow if the story went on, I don't know what that would be like. In the comics so far they've setup that Zoe had gotten pregnant before he died, so at least he has a legacy to go on.

Interesting, I wonder how he would include Wash? I never read any of the Firefly comics, but I would be onboard if they continue the story. I just hope this doesn't turn into another fiasco of like the J. Michael Straczynski and the adventure of future of Babylon 5.

Killing Wash and Book is the stupiest decision ever. What the hell was Josh thinking??? Ok, I mean book I am still fine since they needed the push but wash??????

It is some of the most surprising character dead to me ever.

To make sure fans would stop speculating about more tv/movie-stuff? I was surprised he settled for only two killed.

To make sure fans would stop speculating about more tv/movie-stuff? I was surprised he settled for only two killed.

At the time though it was possible for more movies or the show to start up again if the movie did well, so it's not like he wasn't thinking about the future.

The only way to really do that would be to kill Mal.

If they continued the series in some way my ideal way for it to end is for Mal to be killed, I think that's the only way for it to work out.

In the third Firefly companion book they had some short stories by people involved with the show and one of them was about how everyone ends up, and it was really terrible because basically everyone was just living out their days and I think if it were a real ending then it would be the dumbest idea ever. Like Mal could stand just living by himself on a ranch until he dies of old age.

Killing Wash and Book is the stupiest decision ever. What the hell was Josh thinking??? Ok, I mean book I am still fine since they needed the push but wash??????

Lol. Stupiest.
On a serious note, i suppose the dream is for the show to start over with the "percentage of the back end" that Joss must have gotten with the Avengers.
And if it did, there's no reason to assume it wouldn't pick up after "Objects In Space", and run indefinitely with the original show at one end, and the movie at the other, never truly catching up with the movie, so we could see Book and Wash in the show without truly needing the show to be a flashback.
It'll never happen. But it's a nice thought.

The only reason Wash died is because Alan Tudyk was the only actor who refused to have a sequel option in his contract for Serenity. The original plan was for Wash to survive; but with the possibility of Tudyk not returning if they made a sequel, he had to go.

In the third Firefly companion book they had some short stories by people involved with the show and one of them was about how everyone ends up, and it was really terrible because basically everyone was just living out their days and I think if it were a real ending then it would be the dumbest idea ever. Like Mal could stand just living by himself on a ranch until he dies of old age.
Yea, that was one of the most depressing stories ive read. Simon and Kaylee end up happy (and River becomes the "crazy aunt" that always hangs around and leeches off that happiness), but the rest of the gang seems to resign themselves to living out the rest of thier days wallowing in thier own private hell.

Why would they reboot it?
Why wouldn't they reboot it? Its one of the most popular sci-fi tv shows of all time and almost unanimously ranked by most tv critics as the #1 show that got cancelled before its time. There is still tons of story potential. I have no doubt that sometime within the next 10 years there will be talk of a reboot.

Last edited:
Well not a reboot--I could see them continuing the show but no reason to just erase what already happened. The way I see it, they can fit a season or two in between Firefly Season 1 and Serenity, then after that they could pretty much do whatever. I'm interested in seeing how Zoe deals with having Wash's child. And I'd like to see Jayne show some character development. Of course we have to find out how things are going with Inara and Mal. And I still wonder what they were originally wanting to do with River at the Academy---plus, I'm sure that River wasn't the only one there, just the best so there could be other psychic assassins around the 'verse

Yes, il definatly agree that the more ideal solution is to pick back up where they left off and just bring the show back. I would apsolutly love that as well. But let's be honest here. Its been 10 years. Some of the cast has already moved on to and are busy with other projects and alot of them have noticeably aged (except for Ron Glass, who somehow looks younger). I just don't see it happening.

I see a reboot somewhere down the line to be alot more likely. Now weather that reboot will be good is a whole other topic entirely.

I think it's most likely that they would start up again sometime after the events in the movie. But yeah it's difficult to start up again, half the cast has things going on, at least for Nathan Fillion the show Castle is probably taking up most of his year. And aging is a thing that will be a problem. Most of them are fine, but Summer Glau was pretty young when the show started and she doesn't really look like the age River should be. Nathan Fillion has filled out a bit too.

They could still do it, it's not like Star Wars where the only cast member who would have a chance is Harrison Ford (even that's a stretch)

Yea il agree that the cast somehow all has been lucky enough to barely age in the past 10 years.

But unfortunatly, the fact that the cast looks the part is the smallest of the problems in getting the project off the ground. A huge problem is the fact that none of the cast seems to really want to go back. Sure they are pretty good to the fans and work the convention circuit alot, but there is a huge difference between picking up some spare cash at conventions and actually committing to doing a tv show again.

Even Nathan Fillion, who has been the most vocal about loving the show seems uninterested in going back. Apparently the famous statement he made a few years ago where he said he would bring the show back if he had the money to buy it was something he just joked about when he was drunk, and he seriously started freaking out when the fan project to raise the money started getting traction.

This'll be starting in an hour or so, I can't find if someone will stream it but it will probably be up on youtube soon after that.

One rumor I heard is that there will be a new project (maybe a new series) same universe but different characters, which I think would be just fine--since then they wouldn't have to try and copy what they did before. Plus it gives the chance to include stuff from the original series and some guest appearances of the original cast. Plus they wouldn't be forced to have to rebuild the whole Serenity set for a new project since they could design something cheaper if they wanted.

Reading the liveblogs and nothing actually new---they'll be doing more comics, perhaps something to do with Inara, but it's not like an ongoing series. No serious talk about actually trying to do anything more. Kind of sounds like they were just happy to get the movie done and that fans are still going for it after 10 years.

Still, they do a great discussion, it'll be fun to watch once someone gets it on youtube

They recorded the panel and I think there was also a roundtable discussion before the panel and they'll put all that together in a the program they'll show in November.

Kinda figured this is all there would be. A few good questions, a new comic, maybe some stories we haven't heard before. All in all nothing to write home about.

Back